IGNORED

R1100RT WITHOUT heated grips?

bimmerbeemer

bimmerbeemer

My second R11RT, a 2001 model does NOT have heated grips.

My first one, a '97 did have and I thought it was a standard feature on all RT's.

Anybody else have one without heated grips?

And curiously, this bike came from a Chicago dealer, where you'd think it would be a popular feature.

Thanks,

Al in NC

You don't need them. You need heated gloves. The grips just warm your palms.

My hands get cold on the back side. Where they don't come near the heated grip.

Now as to Chicago.

I went to get a new seat. The dealer says I got 24 of them in stock. 24!!?? says I.

Yes, the cop bikes come with no heated seat, and they all come in to get a heated seat for their bike, says the dealer.

This, in Long Beach, California.

dc

Mrs. Caddis

When I bought my 2001 1100RT it didn't have heated grips. I had after market ones installed after a cold ride in May over a Colorado pass. I believe the after market ones installed by a local bike shop were about half the price the BMW dealer wanted.

While you can add heated grips, I second the idea of going

heated gloves.

If you want to improve that, I'd add brush guards like the GS

which will cut the wind, increase heated glove efficiency,

help in the rain, and cost less than BMW OEM grips.

Best wishes.

My 1997 R1100RT did not have heated grips when I bought is used but had the dealer install them. My experience has been that like many things BMW it changed from model year to model year. Some years they were standard and others they were not. I would not own a bike without them. Yes ... heated gloves are nice but you always have to have them with you and then stop and plug them in. With heated grips they are always with you and if you need the heat you just flip a switch.

My 'o1 R1100rt does not have heated grips. It was sold new in Modesto Ca. Good point on the grips vs. gloves. I've ridden with heated grips and like heated seats in a car, once you have the, there's no going back. So who makes a quality , easy to install, works with the dash switch, heated grip kit for my bike?

bimmerbeemer

O.K., so some didn't have them from the factory.

I did have them on the first RT and was glad to have them in winter.

Also have used heated gloves (borrowed from a friend) and yes, they are much, much better.

Best description I ever heard for the grips was when a rider called 'em "handlebar warmers"!

Al in NC

Well, for me heated grips are THE BUSINESS.

Heated gloves are ok if conditions are really extremely cold, but they are such a faff to use generally.. When the evening chills set in, the grip gets flipped on. Instant heat with no hassles.

Brilliant.

Well, for me heated grips are THE BUSINESS.

Heated gloves are ok if conditions are really extremely cold, but they are such a faff to use generally.. When the evening chills set in, the grip gets flipped on. Instant heat with no hassles.

Brilliant.

EXACTLY!

If you're serious about gloves and protecting your hands, you'll gravitate eventually to "racer" style gloves, i.e. gloves with knuckle protection, adjoined last two fingers, kangaroo leather, etc. Nothing like that in heated selections because of course their mission is to be cheap but you can be pretty comfortable in good gloves with heated grips.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

I just got a 2000 rt11t  new to bmw but excited to move from honda 70s and 80s cb bikes i had back before i couldnt ride for 15 year

grip switch frozen (i will clean up)  but what is best way to go on changing out the grip. A good plug and play out there? Plus i have few switches i am nout sure what functions are. I know abs but need input on the others please. Family project so i can get everyone riding with dad

20200531_190633.jpg

8 minutes ago, B3of21 said:

I just got a 2000 rt11t  new to bmw but excited to move from honda 70s and 80s cb bikes i had back before i couldnt ride for 15 year

grip switch frozen (i will clean up)  but what is best way to go on changing out the grip. A good plug and play out there? Plus i have few switches i am nout sure what functions are. I know abs but need input on the others please. Family project so i can get everyone riding with dad

Afternoon  B3of21

Do you have an 1100 RT-P (police bike?) .

On the grip replacement?-- Does your motorcycle have factory heated hand grips?

can anyone recommend an aftermarket or OEM kit that uses the switch blank I have on my 99 R1100RT dashboard?

Joe Coastie

My '98 1100RT no gots them fancy heated grippy thingys.

I wear gauntlet gloves with my 3/4 length Texport jacket.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  B3of21

Do you have an 1100 RT-P (police bike?) .

On the grip replacement?-- Does your motorcycle have factory heated hand grips?

Yes 

• 6 months later...
NOLONGERRELEVANT
On 6/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, B3of21 said:

Yes 

The left most is Anti-lock brakes, the middle is siren and the right is flashing lights.  Different than the commercially sold switches, which are heated gloves, hazards, and anti-lock brakes.