IGNORED

Streetpilot / 276C ?

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I am thinking about replacing my Streetpilot with a 276C and have a couple of questions for those of you that have the 276C. Why does the 276C use different mapping software than the Streetpilot? The Streetpilot uses City Navigator and the 276C uses City Select. What are the differences in the software? It seems there must be some differences or they would not produce and maintain two different systems. Can I use routes that I have created in City Navigator with the 276C? Any Ideas to where the 276C is in its life cycle? I usually purchase something and the next thing you know the next generation is introduced. Any discounts expected in the near future? Thanks in advance.

City Select is being phased out, City Navigator works with the 276C. The 376C is the next generation, includes the $200 "hockey puck" XM antenna and capability, otherwise is the same as the 276C.

My fourth GPS is a 276C and it's by far the best of them. Excellent hi res screen that works well even in bright daylight; Very fast recalculation - great when exploring new roads; built-in battery allows you to use the GPS all day without having to wire it into the bike - makes for quick dismount/mount when stopping for lunch, etc; and it's reasonably waterproof since the x76 units are designed for marine use.

The only real downside of the 276 in my mind is that it uses Garmin's proprietory memory cards, the largest of which is 512Meg. That card will allow you to load the maps for a large section of N.America, but not all of it. Also, the Garmin memory cards are more expensive than standard Compact Flash or Secure Digital cards.

The 376 is the sucessor to the 276, but as said above, the 376 has built-in XM radio capability and the ability to show real-time weather on its screen. While this is a really neat feature, the required XM weather subscriptions are pretty expensive - starting at $29 a month, I think. The weather function is quite useful on a boat, but I wonder how useful it is on a bike or in a car.

Brian

City Select is being phased out, City Navigator works with the 276C

Really? Latest version for the 276C is still the city select.

Oh, and if you want to use either with the 276C you'll need to unlock it for that unit.

City Select is being phased out, City Navigator works with the 276C

Really? Latest version for the 276C is still the city select.

City Navigator is now being sold individually, before it was available only with the purchase (included in the box) of select automotive units like the 2610.

City Select isn't packaged with the 276C/376C except as part of the automotive kit ... which I did not get. I used the second unlock from my 2610 City Navigator package and used that instead.

If you check the map compatability page for the 276C, you will see that they're now including City Navigator in that list. It always worked, but now it's "approved" -- as that package will be selling with the auto kits moving forward.

Archived