IGNORED

2014 RT Tank Bag

Smilly

I sprung for the BMW tank bag when I purchased my non rideable R1200RT. The design of the bag is very good although the size could be a bit larger. The strap configuration is fine with minimum contact of the tank, only touching the non- gloss paint area. The bag comes with a special attachment bracket for the front strap which is held in place by the front tank bolt.

Have encountered one problem, the water resistant map pocket is not very resistant. Got caught in a gully- washer and my maps sucked up a bit of water. I am trying to correct this problem by sealing the seams with tent seam sealer. Will post my results later.

Not sure you're correct . On my bike the drain gap is in the 6 o'clock.

In very very heavy rain i didn't notice any tendency to pool.

However I was very surprised to see signs of rust on two of the threads of two Givi bolts. This after only 3 weeks fitted to the bike. I only noticed it because I took the flange off to try it in the K16. The rust is about 2 thirds down the bolts.

Something to keep an eye on, especially if this is some kind of electrolytic effect.

There is a small gap that can be seen by using a flask light passing light fore to aft under the ring. I pulled my fasteners and there was no rust. The SAE fastener aisle at your local hardware store should easily rectify the issue if you so choose to change them out.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
BarryBeemer

Not to jinx the possibility of the new shock showing up this month, but I thought I would order the SW-Motech City Bag for the '14 RT. Twisted Throttle now says the #126 is the proper tank ring to use. Has anyone installed this bag yet? Any hints on best positioning before I drill the holes for the upper ring? There is photo of a new RT on their website and the bag looks like great on the bike.

Barry, I'll admit I've done no research into this but I can't imagine having to drill anything on the tank. I would think the ring would bolt to the existing holes that are there for your gas cap?

Edit

Unless you're talking about drilling and bolting the ring to the tank bag for the correct positioning on the tank.

Pat

Pat you are correct about the ring mounted to the bike, I believe Barry is asking about the ring on the tank bag side, you get to install it too. I put this system on my 02R1150RT it's easy to figure out the placement. Even if you get an answer I'd make sure the positioning is what you want.

On my new parked RT I went with the BMW bag happy with it except for the map case, too small. But I think I like the City bag from Bag Connections – Twisted Throttle.

Jay

BarryBeemer

Thanks, all! No, I will not be drilling into the tank. Just trying to get the best position fit before I drill the holes in the bag for the upper ring mount. I used a Big Mak bag on my '02 RT. Loved it except when the handlebars were full left and the bag would activate the windscreen switch as well as the horn.

The 126 tank ring works for the City Bag on my 2014 RT and I positioned the bag as far back as possible. Happy with the fit, happy with the bag.

Norm LeFevre

I want a pretty small bag for incidentals (gloves, iphone, etc.). Has anyone gotten the Engage bag. Seems a good bit smaller.

If you are only looking for incidentals storage, my spouse is very happy with the Tourtech handlebar bag instead of a tankbag:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-047-0210/Handlebar-Utensils-Bag-R1200RT-K1600GT

NOTE: This is on her 2012 camhead RT -- the handlebars on the wet head RT are obviously different. That said, I don't see why the bag wouldn't work on the wet head as well, as the "mounts" are just velcro-ended straps that wrap around. You could always e-mail Tourtech and ask whether they've tried fitting one to a '14 RT yet.

FWIW, it is handy enough that I'm considering one for my K16GTL, too.

Not to jinx the possibility of the new shock showing up this month, but I thought I would order the SW-Motech City Bag for the '14 RT. Twisted Throttle now says the #126 is the proper tank ring to use. Has anyone installed this bag yet? Any hints on best positioning before I drill the holes for the upper ring? There is photo of a new RT on their website and the bag looks like great on the bike.

I posted about this including a pic in this thread http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=888643&page=3 (Scroll down four to five posts to see it). The SW-Motech bags come with a very nice template to make positioning and drilling a snap.

Archived