IGNORED

2014 RT Tank Bag

Smilly

Does anyone have one?

How does it fit?

Does it attach with strap or there is a mounting bracket being sold with the bag?

Any pictures by chance?

I don't like straps.

I ordered the GIVI tank lock bag at this link along with the mounting ring from Revzilla. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs307-tanklock-tankbag

There is not a mounting ring specifically listed for the 2014 R1200RT but I believe the one listed for the 2013 GS will work, I will find a way. It's due in this Friday and I'll post pics once fitted on the bike.

I like the looks of that more so than the ones at the BMW dealer...Keep us posted on your mount. Miss my tankbag..

I need to figure out the correct mounting ring, the one I ordered is not compatible. My buddy has a machine shop, perhaps some aluminum bling is in order :D

I have the BMW Tank bag and like it a lot... easy to mount and works as advertised. Don't mind the straps... as it was what I had on my GT. Similar set up here. High quality as well.

I have one waiting for me at the dealer, I too miss a tank bag. I'm still wondering how big the map pocket is? Yep I ride with both a GPS and paper map. For me a GPS tells me where I am and where I'm going, the paper map shows me everything. It's nice to adventure the paper map will open that door. See a rain storm ahead got the new route.

I hope to pick it up soon (along with my other goodies), I have the bike apart (adding fuse block and wiring in the V1) I'd like to get that work done first.

Jay

Hate to go back to straps, loved the attachment feature using the BMW tank bag on my old Camhead. Suppose my disappointment will be diminished once the weather improves and the earnest riding begins.

Wade, I retired from Boeing after 30+ years....rode my FJR on the Kingston/Edmonds ferry for many years while living in Port Ludlow. You by any chance ride a RT on that crossing? If so, we'll have to get together for a ride on our 2014 RT's this summer. I'm fortunate enough to get to spend some time in the PNW during some summers, hopefully this will be one of them.

Do you Pics of the Bag mounted other than the one provided by BMW.

Pics such as where it hooks up in the front and at the back

Yes, that was likely me. That first boat in the morning has been the same guys for years.

I'm on my 27th year at the Lazy B with 9 to go, I'm ready to retire now though.

Let me know when you'll be in town for a ride.

Yes, that was likely me. That first boat in the morning has been the same guys for years.

I'm on my 27th year at the Lazy B with 9 to go, I'm ready to retire now though.

Let me know when you'll be in town for a ride.

Great, will do. If I ever have any questions about rain gear you're the first person I'll ask. Don't miss those cold wet early morning rides. On the other hand, crossing the Hood Canal Bridge at 4:30 AM in the summer and seeing the sun already peaking over the Cascades is what I really miss about those commutes. That along with first on-first off using the ferries of course.

I don't like straps either. Rode for a good part of the day yesterday & really missed having a tank bag.

Came home & mounted an old SW Moto Bags Connection tank bag that use to be on an '05 R1200 RT. Mounting "ring" fits perfectly. I don't like the bag so am ordering another SW Moto product (this: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-evo-daypack-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system - pic below, right) that will fit the ring already mounted.

Not my first choice but does the job for now.

2222-M.jpg

bc_trs_00_108_20000_1-web-S.jpg

IrishMike you have made me one happy guy. I had a SW City bag on my r1150rt. I sold the bike but kept my Givi case and SW bag. I now wait for my new 2014rt. I was wondering if my ring or any ring from SW would fit the new bike. The ring for the 1150 must not as it is different from the 1200 ring but knowing the ring for your former 2005rt does is good news. I will just need to make sure the bag slant fits. Happy riding.

Mike, please show a photo of the new tank bag when you get it. I was going to go with the BMW bag but am leaning the other way after the negative comments on 'straps'. I've never used a tank bag, but will be leaving my Unigo trailer in the garage (at least for now) and need the extra storage space. Any positive comments out there for the BMW bag?? When I purchased my 2004 RT the one option that I wish I'd sprung for was the tank bag. Just wondering if the latest BMW bags are as good as the old ones.

I'll be sure to post pictures. I'm just excited to have options other then a strap system; really spoiled by the rail tank bag from the previous RT.

If memory serves, you can adjust the forward/back location of the SW Moto (aka Bags Connection) tank bags up to 3" - 3.5" via the ring connection (your choice as to where exactly it goes), so it won't jut out as prominently as mine now seems to.

Do you Pics of the Bag mounted other than the one provided by BMW.

Pics such as where it hooks up in the front and at the back

Sorry for the delay, but here are pics of the BMW Tank Bag (I put a pad underneath to keep the bag from scuffing the tank)...

IMG_1964_zpsda9aa532.jpg

IMG_1966_zps92acc33c.jpg

IMG_1967_zps30fc4455.jpg

Chris, Thanks for the pictures! Do you know if an iPad will fit in the map pocket? Also, what is the approximate dimensions of the BMW bag? BMW is awful about not showing specs on their accessories. This bag looks great on the bike, fits perfectly. Thanks.

the bag is 11 liters in storage and an iPad will fit in the top, as long as you don't have it in a case, like an Otterbox Defender or Commuter.

I talked to somebody at Twisted Throttle and he confirmed that SW Motech hasn't yet made a tankring for the new RTs yet. Sometime in April.

I talked to somebody at Twisted Throttle and he confirmed that SW Motech hasn't yet made a tankring for the new RTs yet. Sometime in April.

Perhaps they haven't verified because they haven't put hands on a 2014 but Mike sure has and kindly posted a pic of his older RT tankring installed on his new RT...thnaks again Mike!

Bags-Connection Quick Lock Tank bags here: (no affiliation)

"Twisted Throttle"

I'm thinking about the 5-9 liter / $129 bag for day trips.

Does Big Mac still exist for tank bags?

Chris,

Not AFAIK.

No retail source, some NOS from individuals appear once in a while, and of course

the garage sales.

I just bought one (used) in very good shape. (It is a full size bag, not my first choice as I've used the DSC{that is Bmac smallest bag} version for years.)

I don't like straps.

I ordered the GIVI tank lock bag at this link along with the mounting ring from Revzilla. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs307-tanklock-tankbag

There is not a mounting ring specifically listed for the 2014 R1200RT but I believe the one listed for the 2013 GS will work, I will find a way. It's due in this Friday and I'll post pics once fitted on the bike.

Installation complete. This is the large XS307 bag. The bars just hit at lock to lock with the bag in the second from furthest setback.

IMG_20140313_143648-M.jpg

With the bag comes the ZT480F ring packaged inside. The BF-11 is a separate purchase. Total cost was less than 200 bones from Revzilla.

IMG_20140313_141230-M.jpg

The mounting ring install looks fairly clean in my opinion.

IMG_20140313_142332-M.jpg

A view from the riders seat. No problem with seeing the dash and such. I would not go with a bag any larger than this.

IMG_20140313_143550-M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Mike, please show a photo of the new tank bag when you get it. I was going to go with the BMW bag but am leaning the other way after the negative comments on 'straps'. I've never used a tank bag, but will be leaving my Unigo trailer in the garage (at least for now) and need the extra storage space. Any positive comments out there for the BMW bag?? When I purchased my 2004 RT the one option that I wish I'd sprung for was the tank bag. Just wondering if the latest BMW bags are as good as the old ones.

wga,

Fyi...

Mike

photo1-M.jpg

photo111-S.jpg

So Mike has the SW-Moto system (which I saw this weekend and was most impressed with the simplicity and stability), and wade has the GIVI system. I will have to keep an eye out for the GIVI one to see if it looks as unobtrusive and functionally easy to use as the SW-Moto.

Thanks Wade and Mike...two good options. Wade, noticed in your pic a GPS cover plate as seen on GT/GTL's. Mine came with a larger RT plate as shown. Currently searching for a part number to order a second one, then I'll sacrifice one to screwing on a iPhone mount (alternate to using a rarely needed $800 GPS).

3a656d42a986105f442ca66d676d1135.jpg

Thanks Wade and Mike...two good options. Wade, noticed in your pic a GPS cover plate as seen on GT/GTL's. Mine came with a larger RT plate as shown. Currently searching for a part number to order a second one, then I'll sacrifice one to screwing on a iPhone mount (alternate to using a rarely needed $800 GPS).

3a656d42a986105f442ca66d676d1135.jpg

Did I get shorted by my dealer? That cover would have been preferable. What has everyone else received with their new RTs?

What's under the big cover? Is the cradle mount for the NAV V, I'm wondering if your bike doesn't have the "prep kit". Eric, I also noticed your sig line lists a 2005 RT, the question is on a 2014.

Jay

What's under the big cover? Is the cradle mount for the NAV V, I'm wondering if your bike doesn't have the "prep kit". Eric, I also noticed your sig line lists a 2005 RT, the question is on a 2014.

Jay

Yes, it's simply a cosmetic/protective cover for where the NAV V (or IV) plugs right in and then you can use the menu/wheel controller to use it.

Yes, it's simply a cosmetic/protective cover for where the NAV V (or IV) plugs right in and then you can use the menu/wheel controller to use it.

Now, I may have missed it but I think the question is, does this cover come on every GPS ready RT? On a quick walk around at the dealership, my bike had the small cover. Option maybe?

Pat

Pat, my bike was not one of the first three launch bikes shipped to dealers, it just happened to be the fourth that arrived and I was there to witness it come out of the crate and this cover was in place. Suspect it's on all bikes coming in now. I'm in the process of seeing about getting another so I can fasten an OtterBox directly to it.

ShooterSteve

I spoke to a guy yesterday riding a 14 RT and he said he ordered the cover from the dealer (for like $8 if I remember correctly). I plan on getting one also.

Jay

Just picked up the 2014, updated my sig line, picture to follow. The 2005 is for sale. Cheap! See the classifieds.

Moto-maineiac
I spoke to a guy yesterday riding a 14 RT and he said he ordered the cover from the dealer (for like $8 if I remember correctly). I plan on getting one also.

In looking at the online detailed photos of the RTs at Max BMW, many of the new ones are shown with the larger cover.

Looks great Mike. I just ordered the same thing. BTW - The twisted Throttle website includes the 2014 RT on their fitment chart for the quick release hardware. We use a #129.

• 2 months later...

At the 12 o'clock position nearest the front of the bike, downhill, water can drain; it has not been an issue here in the Northwet.

Not sure you're correct . On my bike the drain gap is in the 6 o'clock.

In very very heavy rain i didn't notice any tendency to pool.

However I was very surprised to see signs of rust on two of the threads of two Givi bolts. This after only 3 weeks fitted to the bike. I only noticed it because I took the flange off to try it in the K16. The rust is about 2 thirds down the bolts.

Something to keep an eye on, especially if this is some kind of electrolytic effect.

Archived