IGNORED

29 litre Topcase on new RT?

DMilan

Does anyone know for sure if the old version 29 litre top case will fit the new RTWC?

This would be the case that fit the 2005-13 R1200RT, F800ST, 2006-08 K1200GT, 2009-10 K1300GT and maybe more.

Last I checked the RTWC was not yet on the BMW parts fiche.

Thanks

Thanks

Good to hear

Just bought a new 29L with NICE discount...

I'll use it on my 2008 GT.

Unless the GT finds a new home, then I'll use the case on a new RTWC.

d'milan

...Just bought a new 29L with NICE discount...

Care to share where you scored it and at what price?

No more to be had as I "scored"

However

Frequently there is one on Flea Bay for $439.00 shipped... with lock and key /in Ohio/ Brand new. Not bad.

Not listed at the moment

Also

Just found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200RT-K1200GT-K1300GT-F800ST-GT-OEM-28-LITER-TOP-CASE-77437724352-/121281322831?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3cee1f4f&vxp=mtr

d'milan

It fits but I was told by my dealer that you can't have it rekeyed to fit your new keys.

Does anyone have been told otherwise.

If it can't be done you might need to keep a key with your case so you can lock it and remove it from your new bike

Still can't find a parts fiche for the new RT online.

Since many are saying that the old case will fit the new RT then maybe only the design of the key and lock cylinder are changed.

So, you'd have to purchase the new version lock cylinder and have it re-keyed or perhaps a lock and key set from BMW pre-keyed to your V I N#.

D'milan

It fits but I was told by my dealer that you can't have it rekeyed to fit your new keys.

Does anyone have been told otherwise.

If it can't be done you might need to keep a key with your case so you can lock it and remove it from your new bike

It does work on the new 2014 bike, and my dealer told me the same thing about rekeying it to the new bike. Apparently it can be done, but is difficult to do and will cost a few hours labor. That makes it a non-starter. I traded it in with the bike and got a few hundred more for my trade, and got a new case as part of the deal on the new bike.

Maybe it is a pain in the butt to rekey if you want all the electronic stuff to go with it, but a simple rekey of the top box takes about 5 minutes.

At least mine did. Took the 2006 Big Case and dropped in on the 2014 bike. 5 minutes later the ignition key was working the box just fine.

Now I realize it may be too much of a chore for some people to have to physically put the key in the box to lock or unlock it ( :dopeslap:) but that's the price we have to pay I guess.

AD

Can you explain how you did it, I would not mind learning how even if takes me more than 5 to re keyed the lock with the new key.

Specially that I use the case a few time a season.

Can you explain how you did it, I would not mind learning how even if takes me more than 5 to re keyed the lock with the new key.

Specially that I use the case a few time a season.

Smilly,

Well, I didn't do it. The dealer did.

I was in for my 600 mile check and went to the parts counter to enquire about purchasing another keyset for my old Top Box. It was going to be something like $56 or so.

The owner overheard this and said I should just bring the Top Box and the old key/new key in some day and they would just rekey it on the spot. He said it would be silly to carry around two sets of keys all the time.

I called back the following Tuesday and they said anytime after 1pm would be fine.

I showed up at 1:15pm. Took all of 2 minutes to take the old one out and go back into the bowels of the maintenance department. Before I could finish my coffee, they said it was done and now my new key fits everything. No need for the second set of keys!

As I only use that Top Box maybe 4 times a year, I wasn't about to buy one of the new models just for that.

I probably would have paid the normal service charge to have it done but they said it wasn't a big deal. Evidently that first "600 mile" check included the key change for me, too.

Seriously, I'm sure they would love to sell the new Top Boxes to guys, but you have to be realistic and if you've already got a perfectly good one, rekeying for the CUSTOMER only makes sense. At least that's how I see it.

AD

Archived