IGNORED

Impressive New Autocom products

John Bentall

A frantic last minute effort by the Autocom team saw their new products displayed for the first time today at the London Motorcycle show. There are 3 new boxes - the Easi-Plus , the Active-Plus and the Super Pro AVi.

I will give a very simple explanation of what I saw at the stand and without much technical detail as (from previous experience) the professionals are much better at explaining this stuff than I am.

The first two boxes are very similar in appearance. The Easi-PLUS is for a straightforward rider-pillion installation and feature 3 4-pole stereo plug inputs (ie phone, music, GPS), battery or bike power and separate rider and passenger volume controls. In addition the Active-PLUS offers an extra DIN lead for bike-to-bike communications, full VOX operation, music muting and higher quality sound.

The Super-Pro Avi is a larger box which is bike-power only and has all the features of the Active-Plus plus an additional stereo input, rider-pillion fader, and even higher-quality communications. There are two interesting new features on this model - the first is the addition of a tiny extra microphone which sits in the cheekpad of the helmet to measure ambient noise and is wired into the new harness using the current 7-pin plug system. This microphone is used firstly to automatically adjust music volume and secondly to automatically adjust the VOX preset dependending on ambient noise levels in the helmet.

The second feature of the Super-Pro is the enormous flexibility in deciding how the muting between the 4 inputs will work. Using a number of jumpers inside the unit, the user can decide whether the phone should cut the music completely or not at all and whether the GPS should mute music by 50% or not at all. How this is achieved is completely beyond the scope of a simple chat-room message. It seems that that Autocom have produced the benchmark Bike communication system and will interesting to see how the competitor's flagship products measure up.

Bluetooth? A Bluetooth module will be out later in the year, but no details were available.

Sounds very interesting. Hope Tom chimes in with some more detail. I just checked their web sites and nothing yet. Sounds like a very innovative AGC concept.

Interesting indeed. I wonder how the ambient noise microphone will interact if one is using custom ear speakers instead of the in helmet speakers, I guess you would start with a lower overall volume level. I'm sure the details will be out soon.

Building on what John Bentall has reported above, here are some more detailed explanations of the features and benefits of the new system. The following are some technical points of the new top-of-the-line Super Pro AVi.

Main Features

Sold as Kit 300: Bike-powered, expandable rider system, complete with unique riders headset, headset extension lead and standard phone and music leads.

Autocom’s TRUE NOISE CANCELLING HEADSETS (TNC): These have precision tuned ports to both front and rear of the ultra compact microphone/s, such that the surrounding noise affects the diaphragm equally from both sides and effectively cancels itself out (anti-phasing), whereas the user's speech is directed mainly into just the one side, producing a superior speech signal in relation to a minimal noise pick up.

TUNED ACTIVE FILTER SYSTEM (TAFS); purposely designed and custom tuned to work in harmony with our special TRUE Noise Cancelling Headsets, these filters further reduce undesirable noise frequencies outside of those required for clear speech, while enhancing and lifting those desirable frequencies that are required to boost speech through considerable helmet noise, even at very high speeds up to 187mph (300kmh, off public roads of course).

SUPERIOR Signal to Noise Ratio (S-SNR); The unique combination of Autocom’s TRUE noise cancelling headset/s together with Autocom's specially designed Tuned Active Filter System delivers the best signal to noise ratio (SNR) in the industry, being the optimum level of desirable speech pickup in relation to minimal level of undesirable noise pick up. This sets an international standard of 28dB to 30dB at 100+mph, or 70mph into a strong headwind.

INDEPENDENT RIDER MASTER VOLUME CONTROL. Colour coded for easy identification. Enables rider to easily set the optimum volume for any conditions, including use with or without ear-plugs, high attenuation ear-plugs, or even custom moulded in-ear-speaker (monitor type) earplugs, or any combinations.

INDEPENDENT PASSENGER MASTER VOLUME CONTROLS. As above but for passenger.

FULL DUPLEX: Allows both rider and passenger to talk at the same time.

PROFESSIONAL SIDE TONE (PST); This feature lets each user hear their own voices when speaking, which not only provides audio confirmation of correct VOX setup and use, but also helps you to always speak at the correct level/volume irrespective of changing helmet noise and so prevent the unnecessary shouting associated to non-side-tone systems.

AUTOCOM AUTOMATIC FULL VOICE ACTIVATION (AF-VOX). VOX is normally just a sound operated switch that turns on or off when it detects a sound level above an adjustable preset threshold point. This switching is normally just used to cut the music and/or transmit bike to bike, but that’s about where any similarity to Autocom’s AF-VOX ends. Autocom’s special Automatic FULL VOX system uniquely uses a miniature independent noise sensor built into the rider headset to detect ambient noise levels and Automatically Adjust the VOX threshold point so that it always remains just above the noise level and so reliably stays switched off when not speaking. Note: option to switchable to manual VOX.

Autocom’s AF-VOX system reliably 100% cut the microphones off FULLY when not speaking and this ensures that absolutely no helmet noise whatsoever can be picked up and amplified through the system to your ears. This ensures far less riding fatigue and is also beneficial when listening other audio devises such as phone/music/GPS/bike-to-bike, etc. which are much clearer for not having to compete with excessive amplified background noise through the speakers directly over the users ears – a major benefit for users of In-Ear speaker plugs often referred to as Monitor type which are brutishly honest at highlighting anything that is amplified through the system.

Autocom's Advanced Automatic Volume Control System automatically adjust the stereo input levels to both Aux Ports 2 & 3 (normally used for MP3, phone2 and music1 respectively) This fully automatic self-sensing and adjusting stereo volume control works by sensing the actual noise in the riders helmet and uses this information to adjust the volume level such that it will be clear at high speeds and not too loud at low speeds. Switchable manual override control.

Front/Rear Fader Control. Allows you to adjust the level of audio coming in on Aux 2 and 3 (normally stereo music) between rider and passenger.

Rider or Passenger speech causes audio level of Aux Ports 2 & 3 to reduce 50%, and this glides gently back to normal levels when you stop speaking. Plus Aux Ports 4 & 5 automatically go to VOX transmit when you speak, with a short delay before returning back to receive mode.

Power LED for visual confirmation of Power On.

VOX LED to aid setup in providing visual conformation of VOX operation.

Rider Headset Lead: 1200mm long with Autocom’s reliable, quick-release water-resistant connectors. Large moulded orientation alignment markings for easy alignment even with gloves. Heavy duty pins and special socket yokes designed to provide the reliable electrical connection needed for extreme conditions. Designed for use with Autocom's 7-pin stereo true noise cancelling headsets with plug-in Background Noise Sensor (BGNS).

Passenger Headset Lead using exactly the same specifications as the riders lead, being easily identifiable by its 800mm length with option to plug in a third headset for sidecar use etc via an optional Y lead. . Please note that you do not require a BGNS for this headset unless it is to be used on the rider’s lead of Super Pro AVi.

Aux 1 Socket (3.5mm x 4 pole) would normally be used for mobile phone connection via the lead supplied in Kit 300. This socket also has a unique switchable power output so that recommended, optional, plug-and-play Bluetooth phone adaptors (currently in development) can be used and powered directly via this socket. AUX1 could also be used to interface GPS, Radar, bike-to-bike, or Record Out with appropriate optional leads. Note: Inputs on AUX 1 will cut audio from any device connected into AUX 2, 3 & 5 (switchable on/off), plus disable VOX transmit on Aux 4 & 5. (Switchable On/Off)

Aux 2 Socket (3.5mm x 4 pole) has Automatic Volume Control and would normally be used for MP3 Stereo phones, stereo music, GPS, Radar, Bike to Bike and/or record out via appropriate optional leads. Note: Inputs on Aux 2 automatically reduce by 50% when either rider or passenger speaks.

Aux 3 Socket (3.5mm x 4 pole) has Automatic Volume Control and would normally be used for main Stereo Music input, but could be used to interface GPS/Radar etc. Note: Inputs on Aux 3 will automatically reduce by 50% when either rider or passenger speaks.

Aux 4 Socket (3.5mm x 4 pole) would normally be used for GPS and/or Radar, but could also be used for VOX operated Bike to Bike or Record Out via the optional leads. Note: Inputs on Aux 4 will automatically reduce the volume of any device plugged into AUX 2/3 (0%/50% switchable). Aux 4 has auto VOX and will transmit when either rider or passenger speaks if using a two way radio.

Aux 5 Socket (60 degree 5 pole din plug, on cable lead) would normally be used for VOX operated bike-to-bike, but could also be used to interface GPS, Radar, Record Out via optional leads. Note: Inputs on Aux 5 will auto 50% reduce Aux 2 & 3. Note: Aux 5 auto VOX transmit when either rider or passenger speaks. This socket can uniquely power a range of recommended transceiver for mile after mile or fuss free, hands free, VOX operated bike to bike, or optional switchable PTT ideal for privacy between rider and passenger. Designed for a wide choice of bike to bike transceivers, allowing a flexible choice of voice activation (VOX) or optional plug and go remote handlebar switchable VOX/PTT, used mainly for rider to passenger privacy. Uniquely your Super Pro can also bike power recommended transceivers via this socket, thus removing the hassle of batteries and chargers.

Aux 1,2,3 & 4 can be expanded for two or more devices using optional leads. In effect you could plug GPS & Radar in with Phone on Aux 1 you can also have 2 phones and 2 music systems connected at the same time with GPS & Radar, bike-to-bike etc. via optional leads available.

Built in 12-volt Power Lead included, although this can be unplugged for a range of optional power leads.

Optional power lead for tank bag mounting and powering. Super Pro-AVi has various controls that you may wish to adjust from time to time (such as the individual volume controls). If so, then fitting in a tank bag may be preferred to fitting under the seat.

Both rider and optional passenger can use the phone and share the music, bike to bike, GPS etc.

One years manufacturer's warranty as standard, expandable to two years manufacturer's warranty upon completion and return of warranty card.

Third Headset Option for sidecars etc.

Serviceability: All external leads can be unplugged and easily replaced if damaged.

Additional internal adjustability:

Aux 1, 2, 4 & 5 outpout levels can be adjusted, although our factory setting should be right for most applications.

Switchable power output on Aux 1 & Aux 3, ideal for optional plug & go Bluetooth adaptors.

Switchable auto 100% cutoff to Aux 2,3 & 5 when Aux 1 receives a signal.

Switchable auto 50% reduction to Aux 2 & 3 when Aux 4 receives signal.

Switchable automatic/manual VOX control

Switchable automatic/manual volume control for Aux 2 & 3

Adjustable Automatic Level Control for Aux 2 & 3 to fine-tune how the helmet noise adjusts the Auto Volume.

-----

In summary, the Super Pro AVi has 5 input ports. Four of them are 3.5-mil plugs, while the fifth is the same din plug currently used for bike-to-bike communication. The 3.5mil input ports are expandable by use of splitters.

Volume is independently adjustable for rider and passenger. There is also a fader for the music.

The headset features a micro mic, which senses ambient noise (not speed, but noise) and adjusts the headset volumes up or down accordingly. This feature retains the individual volume differentials you have set between rider and passenger. This ambient-noise-sensing mic also serves to set a floating VOX trigger level, such that wind noise and other external factors should not trip the VOX, but your normal speaking voice will.

Ports 1, 2, 3, and 4 are variously adjustable for priority. Vox trigger levels and many of the systems automatic adjustments can be manually overridden if you desire.

Warranty is 2 years if you just send in the warranty card.

All of the above is my understanding of the new Super Pro AVi. We have not had our technical briefing, nor have Autocom dealers received any units yet (late Feb/early March) to test or sell. As such, I stand to be corrected if my understanding is not accurate.

Finally, the Super Pro AVi comes in a box that's about the same width, a little longer, yet thinner, than the Pro-7.

Price: Not set in stone yet. Purely rumor at this point. I've heard it will be less than $500 and might be in the low 400's. Personally I'm blown away by this much technology at anything below a grand. But I'd like to reserve judgment until I've had a chance to test the system and verify its performance.

When I know more, I'll pass it on.

Fernando: Sure sounds like state-of-the-art has been redefined. A few months back, Tom B was saying he was going to work on solving the feedback issues with CB radio. Any word on whether these new systems will address that?

I don't have any information on that. Sorry. However, I doubt that this new line is the end of the story. While CB is not that popular in Europe, it is here. And the U.S. is a large market. Too large to ignore.

I wish I knew more, or actually knew ANYTHING about CB compatability with these new Autocoms or any future models. But I don't. Still, if Tom said. . .

Ask for "more detail" WoW!! Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks Fernando. That sounds great. Can't wait to see (hear) one. I hope it comes with a good instruction/installation manual. With so many options, it can be a real opportunity to "excel" or "screw up". My guess is that the factory default settings and nominal installations are probably pretty good for 95% of the users. In electronics, it's difficult to stay a step ahead of the competition but assuming all this stuff works, it looks like Autocom has done it again.

I'm still waiting for that special "S.O." feature that I requested a few years agao. You know, the one that simply replays, "Yes Dear." over and over to any requests from the pillion mic.

I'm still waiting for that special "S.O." feature that I requested a few years agao. You know, the one that simply replays, "Yes Dear." over and over to any requests from the pillion mic.

grin.gifclap.gif

Boy, what a system! I currently have the J&M system on the '05 RT but would like to go back to the Autocomm's due to a couple of the upgrades.

The compatability to CB's are essentual for our use. My wife's RS has a 6 year old Airrider system that is fussy and needing to upgrade it.

Let us know when you get information on the CB issue.

Thanks,

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

'05 R12RT

'96 R11RS

'91 R100GSPD

'73 XL250

When does the 1/2 price sale start? wink.gif

If the rumored pricing is accurate, it already IS half price. Baehr offers a lot less than this for more than $1000. dopeslap.gif

When does the 1/2 price sale start? wink.gif

If the rumored pricing is accurate, it already IS half price. Baehr offers a lot less than this for more than $1000. dopeslap.gif

Ditto that...

If all this comes in a true under $500 package, it will blow Baehr away!

I know what Baehr costs, I own one. wink.gif

Prices have actually gone DOWN?!?!? Amazing. clap.gif

Converted to US Dollars so you don't have to:

Easy Plus: 97.74 = $173.68 USD

Active Plus: 131.74 = $234.10 USD

Super Pro AVi: 199.74 = $354.94 USD

Prices have actually gone DOWN?!?!? Amazing. clap.gif

Converted to US Dollars so you don't have to:

Easy Plus: 97.74 = $173.68 USD

Active Plus: 131.74 = $234.10 USD

Super Pro AVi: 199.74 = $354.94 USD

Sounds great, but let's not jump to conclusions. Autocom UK is the manufacturer and, as such, has virtually no freight costs, nor import duty, brokerage fees, etc. Not that I wouldn't love to see them in the U.S. at prices like that, but it's more realistic to expect them to be somewhat higher given said transit and import/duty/brokerage costs. Plus I expect advertising/marketing costs in a country the size of the U.S. to be substantially higher than in the UK. All this must be taken into account. With luck, we might see some sort of "introductory" price here in the U.S. But we'll have to wait and see exactly what that is.

Price: Not set in stone yet. Purely rumor at this point. I've heard it will be less than $500 and might be in the low 400's.

But the cables will probably add up to about $1500

--sam

Price: Not set in stone yet. Purely rumor at this point. I've heard it will be less than $500 and might be in the low 400's.

But the cables will probably add up to about $1500

--sam

Well, let's see. If you wanted to completely, totally max out one of these new Autocom systems, you could put a splitter in every one of the four ports (splitters contain the ground loop isolators, so you can use straight cables from there on), then connect EIGHT accessories with their designated straight cables, PLUS add a bike-to-bike FRS interface cable AND a PTT cable and switch, I think you would come in at less than double the price of the system, or about $800.

Sam, I think I just saved you $700! Of course, if you have fewer than 8 devices to hook up, you saved even more than that. wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
And I haven't even installed the "old" one I got for Christmas yet ... *sigh*

And I just installed two of them on our bikes. Oh well.

My GOD guys, buck up there! I bought one (the Active-7) too at the 50% off base pricing in November and it's one amazing piece of equipment. I've hooked it up and it does everything it's supposed to do and more. I've integrated XM radio, GPS, bike-to-bike communications (via the 1/2 watt Kenwood transceiver) and even plugged in my WIFE (which communication ironically, was the main reason I purchased it after tiring of that toy called "Chatterbox"). It works seamlessly and perfectly both in sound and operation.

The bottom line is that you made an intrinsically better deal purchasing a 2005 model at half-price than paying twice that amount for a few not overly-significant upgrades you can quite easily live without. Technology never ceases and there will always be a new kid of the block rendering earlier models "obsolete," and the Plus models will not be an exception either. There are thousands of highly satisfied pre-2006 Autocom customers -- there IS a reason for that! Think about it. Buying an Autocom at the end of 2005 was an extremely wise purchasing decision you made and any remorse you could provide with the value you received is utterly unfounded.

Beyond that I otherwise have no intense opinion. wink.gif

• 5 months later...

A question for Tom.

I notice that the Autocom brochure states the aux ports are 4-way 3.5mm sockets. Can I presume therefore that I would need to buy a new cable that wires into my RT speakers and also a new cable for the Nokia NK7 bluetooth unit since these are currently 3-way plugs?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
A question for Tom.

I notice that the Autocom brochure states the aux ports are 4-way 3.5mm sockets. Can I presume therefore that I would need to buy a new cable that wires into my RT speakers and also a new cable for the Nokia NK7 bluetooth unit since these are currently 3-way plugs?

Cheers

I have installed one of the new Pro kits on my RT. Even though the sockets are 4 pole the kit is supplied with 3 pole cables and these work (on 3 poles).

The 4 pole special cables are extra and not required for all devices.

I am after the BlueTooth module (which uses the fourth pole in Aux 1 socket for power) for my mobile phone but have not found anyone selling it yet.

My dilema is the 3 pole cable in Aux 1 for my PDA/Phone/MP3 is only good for stereo sound and does not pic up the phones mic which is on the phones 4th pole.

I would need to get a 4 pole lead and plug it into Aux 2 as the 4th pole in Aux 1 is power not mic. The problem then (I think) is the VOX issue in Aux 2 would cut out the sound of the person replying to my voice unless I turn it off.

Anyway a BT module in Aux 1 for my BT enabled phone sounds like a better option unless it costs a million.

You can't use a 3 pole plug in AUX 4 because it will short ground to vox and keep vox active. The other inputs don't mind 3 pole plugs as long as your device doesn't require it.

R4ND0M_AX3 is right here and in response to

The other inputs don't mind 3 pole plugs as long as your device doesn't require it.

This is true unless you take the back off the autocom and fit the link to enable a +ve supply to the sockets, then if you plug in a 3pole plug the bike will melt into a puddle on the floor. OK, but you get my drift?

R4ND0M_AX3 is right here and in response to

The other inputs don't mind 3 pole plugs as long as your device doesn't require it.

This is true unless you take the back off the autocom and fit the link to enable a +ve supply to the sockets, then if you plug in a 3pole plug the bike will melt into a puddle on the floor. OK, but you get my drift?

Yes. I was going to mention that but my description started to get confusing. Out of the box it's like I said. Start opening things and you need to watch yourself.

Fair enough. I guess I shouldn't have assumed the kit would be left as standard. The internal jumpers and switches do add additional functions (as well as complexity)

My point was really that Autocom supply you with 3 pole phone leads as part of the kit as standard and as the box comes (without you opening it up and switching jumpers etc) they will work.

Archived