R1200RT Electrical

strataj

R1200RT Electrical

It would be nice to have an Electrical Diagram/Electrical Schematic. I got a fuze box that seems to fit under the passenger/pillion seat fuzeblocks.com . Now I need to fine where to attach the relay. The US model doesn’t have a parking light. I’m not sure what is hot with the key on. I wonder if the Top Case wiring is hot with only the key on and the lid not open? If so which wire? I may have to test with my meter…

If anyone knows the answers about a good switched wire it would be appreciated.

Jay

The relay should draw minimal current, so you would probably be safe tapping either of the circuits at the fuse box under the seat. See pages 133-134 of your owners manual. Testing with your meter is always a good idea.

I tested with a meter at the fuse box but both are hot with the key off, so is the top box. It’s not easy finding a switched line. I could use the accessory plug but I’d rather not, those normally stay hot until the cam bus system shuts it down.

I hope there are other suggestions…

Jay

Afternoon Jay

OK, I thought so, but just wanted to be positive it wasn't an older 1200RT.

I don't have any wiring schematics on the new waterhead & haven't worked on one yet so don't have anything positive for you.

If I were looking for key-on power on the newer 1200RT's I would look to see in there is a green or green/something) wire going into the diagnostic plug (diagnostic plug usually has key-on power to it).

Or IF you can find some sort of starter relay (hopefully near or on the diagnostic plug) there might be key-on power there.

Other than that you might find something (look for green wires) or the old stand by of low beam head light (maybe) or one of the onboard power outlets.

If you don't have a radio but have a radio harness from the factory then maybe a key-on circuit there.

I found out a little more about the Cam Bus. When I checked the power at the fuses Larry told me about (Thanks again Larry) I must of not waited long enough (who know I’m new to Cam Bus) for the system to shut down so with key off I still had power. I may use it but rather use the tail light (head light to much trouble) I’m doing more homework. Once I get things sorted out I’ll post my results.

Jay

Evening Jay

Tail light probably won't work if it is like the hexhead or camhead bike was as the tail light was pulse width modulated so runs at around a pulsed 8 volts or so for tail light then comes on full 12-14 volts for brake light.

My new 2014 doesn’t modulate but I have seen a You Tube video shot somewhere in Europe with new 2014 RT’s that had that feature. Thanks D.R.!

Tested with my meter today and found the tail light wire it’s Gray with a Red stripe. I tested all the wires. The ground must also be switched I didn’t test it, didn’t want to take a chance of shorting thing out since I used a pin to help connect my meter to the wire. With key on full volts 12+ turn key off it went down to 5.3, when the Can Bus turned off 0. Note there is a second wire for the brake light it too is 12+. This is what makes the LED so bright when engaging the brake.

Blue/Black: Right turn signal

Blue/Red:Left turn signal

Grey/Red: Tail light

Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake

Brown: Ground

Jay

I used the power accessory plug on both 2013 and 2014 model. No problem there. I am running a PDM 60.I believe it was a green/brown wire. Used a positap. Also running the Hyperlites off the same line. So far I have electric liner/ pants , cell phone charger running on a 15 amp circuit. The radar detector is running on a 5 amp circuit. I plan on adding a set of Clearwater Erica's and Darla/ Glenda's when they have mounting and wiring worked out.

My concern using the accessory plug or the fuses under the seat is it doesn’t shut down the power until the cam bus closes which is about a minute after turning off the bike. Your battery is supping 100% of the power for all your switched goodies.

I don’t know what the power demand is for this bike but it seems to have a lot more than my old 02R1150RT to start this beautiful baby. On fall and winter club rides, I know for sure a number of bikes won’t start in the morning. Temps get low overnight. I’m just trying to give my bike the best chance possible saving as much juice as I can.

Jay

The PDM 60 has a delay for starting. I sometimes use a battery tender but I ride enough to keep the battery charged. Hasn't been a concern for me. You are only using the connection as a trigger to fool the can bus. There is very little power being drawn from the system. You aren't using the tie in for power. There are several ways to connect. I chose the most convenient.

Yep I agree, I’m not worried about the power used by the relay it’s the stuff I have running off that switch circuit (radar detour, lights and such). It continues to pull from the battery until the power is gone, this is the delay I referring to (the cam bus shuts down some time after you turn the key off). After the cam bus shuts down the relay does it job and turns off the connection to the battery.

I use a tender when I’m home but traveling I don’t. On cold morning I’ve seen too many bikes not start I’m just looking to keep my odds up. It's a choice both does work.

Jay

I understand. I haven't seen that to a problem especially on a trip since the battery is being charged all day. The only time I have seen it happen is when the battery was suspect at the get go. Good luck.

The PDM 60 looks like a very cool device, I’ve not heard of it before. I like the idea of controlling everything individually and no fuses is a nice plus too. I hope to learn more about it.

Jay

Nothing I have so far needs any switches/relays. I have one circuit to the radar detector and one running to the tank bag which splits. I use it for heated clothing and charging my comm or cell phone etc. When I add lights I may need to add switches. Depends on the wiring diagram I get from Clearwater. There are 6 or seven circuits available. Total amp of unit is 60. Max per curcuit is 20.

Archived