IGNORED

Dealer says no fuel leak recall?

BamaRider

the point here you are missing is that they said yes and then no. Talk about a lack of integrity. If they said no from the get go, I'd agree. I still don't understand the jackass service manager at GOAZ. If BMW initially said yes, W T H?

The new fuel pump installed by a BMW dealer under the recall carries a two year warranty. Should BMW give him a warranty on parts installed by someone about whom they probably know nothing? I can see a real can of worms opened if they did that. It's unfortunate that he was originally told they would reimburse him, but I can see why the final decision was not to get involved in it. If they had said they would reimburse him before the work was done, and then changed their mind it would be different. According to his posts, he had the work done and then contacted them.

the point here you are missing is that they said yes and then no. Talk about a lack of integrity. If they said no from the get go, I'd agree. I still don't understand the jackass service manager at GOAZ. If BMW initially said yes, W T H?

The new fuel pump installed by a BMW dealer under the recall carries a two year warranty. Should BMW give him a warranty on parts installed by someone about whom they probably know nothing? I can see a real can of worms opened if they did that. It's unfortunate that he was originally told they would reimburse him, but I can see why the final decision was not to get involved in it. If they had said they would reimburse him before the work was done, and then changed their mind it would be different. According to his posts, he had the work done and then contacted them.

The final decision should have been the first one. Who the hell wants to deal with a fickle company?

That's BS. I am not aware of anyone who had it done with BMW parts but not by a dealer who they will reimburse. Would love to know someone who was that fortunate.

Burt - I agree there are two sides to every story, and I did do some work to the pump to prevent a leak, and the leak happened anyway. But that was never brought up in the discussion with BMW. They said I needed to have the current repair (done by an independent shop) inspected and that they would reimburse for the part, but not the labor. Then they changed their minds or they gave me the wrong information in the first place. Clearly they know they have and have had an issue or the recall would have never occurred. Its not like mine was a one off occurrence. If it was, then I would agree with your assessment.

I will say that while the dealer was a little curt, etc I dont really blame them. Its BMW's decision not to reimburse me, not the dealers -- and the dealer is just stuck in the middle.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions from everyone, this is a great site/forum!

Burt - I agree there are two sides to every story, and I did do some work to the pump to prevent a leak, and the leak happened anyway. But that was never brought up in the discussion with BMW. They said I needed to have the current repair (done by an independent shop) inspected and that they would reimburse for the part, but not the labor. Then they changed their minds or they gave me the wrong information in the first place. Clearly they know they have and have had an issue or the recall would have never occurred. Its not like mine was a one off occurrence. If it was, then I would agree with your assessment.

I will say that while the dealer was a little curt, etc I dont really blame them. Its BMW's decision not to reimburse me, not the dealers -- and the dealer is just stuck in the middle.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions from everyone, this is a great site/forum!

My impression was that BMW was covering it and the service Manager at GOAZ pushed back and then BMW changed their mind. Based on what AZGman said, may be you should have gone to Victory.

Unfortunately, Victory would be the last place I would go. Bought the bike there and they were great. Had them replace a rear tire and they scratched the rear rim significantly but left a lot of grime on it. Since I brought only the wheel in I did not notice the damage until I went to clean and remount. My fault for not looking closer, I admit. Took it back and they flatly refused. Said they couldn't possibly have done it. I appealed up the ladder to no avail. However, I kept 3 people from buying there based on my experience. Pithy, yes.

Unfortunately, Victory would be the last place I would go. Bought the bike there and they were great. Had them replace a rear tire and they scratched the rear rim significantly but left a lot of grime on it. Since I brought only the wheel in I did not notice the damage until I went to clean and remount. My fault for not looking closer, I admit. Took it back and they flatly refused. Said they couldn't possibly have done it. I appealed up the ladder to no avail. However, I kept 3 people from buying there based on my experience. Pithy, yes.

Well, at least GOAZ washes the bike after a service.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had both our bikes done today. I called GOAZ on Monday, set up a Thurs appointment specifically on the fuel pump recall. Told them Gary's bike had cracks, no leaks, and we had installed the 10ovr ring, my bike had no cracks but the same ring as a preventative. Gary's bike now has a new fuel pump, mine has a dealer provided metal collar. Service dept was fast, pleasant, and a good experience. Victory on the other hand...when I contacted them in March about the recall pretended it must be another brand with a fuel pump recall, BMWs have never had that problem. GOAZ told us they have a good number of new pumps in stock for the recall right now.

Guest Kakugo

Just wanted to pass the experience along.

I've never received a letter or a phone call from BMW about the possible fuel pump leak but kept the flange under observation by removing the fairing panel and checking for cracks every four months or so.

Today I picked up the bike from the dealer after the (sorely needed) 80000km service and was told they found no cracks and hence installed the reinforcing metal ring. I've been told all Hexheads passing through their shop get inspected this way regardless of VIN. If there are cracks, the fuel pump assembly is replaced as a whole under warranty.

Considering BMW completely denied this issue (though dealers were aware of it) until this past February, it is quite the admission of guilt.

Archived