IGNORED

Dealer says no fuel leak recall?

BamaRider

My RT has been leaking fuel from the left side over a year. Because I have the Honda to ride, I just put off fixing it.

During that process I find out BMW has announced a recall on that subject. I called BMW Birmingham, gave the VIN # and was informed, "there is no active campaign of any kind on your bike."

" Reall? Are ya sure?"

"Yeah"

"Well the guys on the RT owners forum say differently, I even saw the bulletine on that from the factory. It was copied PDF file I think."

"The internet is full of bad stats yanno"

"Maybe so, but I've been a member of BMWsporttouring.com since 2001, and they ain't gonna tell me a fib. You're sayin they're puttin out bad stats???"

"All I'm sayin is there is no recall on your RT"

"But the paperwork says R model bikes 2005 to something, and I'm thinkin my ride qualifies"

"Better do some more checkin"

"Alright lemme see what else I can find out"

So here I am. Is there in fact a recall on 2005 RTs about the fuel leak? Or was it my imagination? If so, how do I prove it to this dealer?

In the beginning this was a drip, drip leak, now its pouring out soon as you turn the key and the pump fires up.

Funny, in 115,000 miles on the Honda it ain't ever leaked anything, and when wiring harness recall went down, it was a in and out process with no hoops to jump through.

Since BMW NA hasn't sent out customer notification letters or detailed dealer instructions, your dealer doesn't yet have a list of affected VINs.

It seems like all the other dealers that we talk with know about it, but don't yet know what it will consist of.

Maybe you are just dealing with a dealer that is either stupid, or obnoxious. Or both.

dc

Since BMW NA hasn't sent out customer notification letters or detailed dealer instructions, your dealer doesn't yet have a list of affected VINs.

I did speak with Bham and Atlanta and both advised they didn't know anything on this recall.

Y'all thinkin the paperwork is in pipeline just need to be more patient?

If the VIN is not included in the recall campaign, it's no excuse for ignoring an issue.

I had a Honda which was well outside a recall campaign for the clutch pusher rod. It obviously snapped like a twig on a mountain pass, 100 miles from home. I had the bike towed to the dealership, had them call the local importer (this is crucial) and, voila!, the Honda person at the side of the phone authorized the warranty repair on the spot, though he was quite embarrassed about a bike slipping through the recall campaign.

Morale: either contact BMW NA yourself or have the dealer do it while you are in front of him. If your bike is not on the list, insist and don't be afraid to sound like a ballbreaker.

It may be worthwhile to have the dealer confirm a fuel leak exists.

If even that fails, get out the pen and paper. ;)

I did speak with Bham and Atlanta and both advised they didn't know anything on this recall.

Y'all thinkin the paperwork is in pipeline just need to be more patient?

Bama - I had this same thing happen on the front brake line recall several years ago at my former dealer (I've moved). "Nope, no recall on your bike" even when I showed them the announcement and gave them the recall number. Then I got the letter from NA and amazingly it was "you'd better get in here and get this done ASAP" so they could try to upsell me on additional work (that's a different story, not all that pretty).

In all fairness, if the dealer doesn't have an authorization for recall work it's a bit much to expect that they would do it out of the goodness of their heart. But I would expect a reaction more like "yeah, we've heard about that through the grapevine, but we don't have any official authorization to do the work yet. We'll get back to you when we do." Not "it doesn't exist". It's all in the approach.

As far as the leaking tank flange, I repaired mine with a BBY clamp and JB-Weld a while ago. So I'm good to go. I'm going to sit until I hear from BMW.

JayJay

BMW RECALL

Models: 2006 HP2 Enduro

2008-2009 HP2 Megamoto

2008-2010 HP2 Sport

2006-2008 K1200GT

2006-2008 K1200R/Sport

2005-2011 K1200S/K1300S

2009-2011 K1300GT

2012 K1600GT/GTL

2005-2011 R1200GS/Adventure

2007-2011 R1200R

2005-2011 R1200RT

2007 R1200S

2005-2007 R1200ST

2010-2011 S1000RR

Component: Fuel System, Gasoline

Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

Summary: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2005-2011 model year R-model motorcycles, model year 2005-2012 K-model motorcycles, model year 2010-2011 S1000-model motorcycles, and model year 2006-2010 HP2 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel.

Consequence: A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

Remedy: BMW will notify owners, and dealers will either reinforce the fuel pump flange or replace the pump, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in February 2014. Owners may contact BMW customer relations at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com

Notes: Customers may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236 (TTY: 800-424-9153); or go to www.safercar.gov

NHTSA Campaign Number(s): 13V617000

Triumph

Model: 2013 Trophy SE

Component: Structure

Manufacturer: Triumph Motorcycles America, LTD

Summary: Triumph Motorcycles America Ltd (Triumph) is recalling certain model year 2013 Trophy SE motorcycles manufactured June 1, 2012, through February 28, 2013. In the affected motorcycles, the left hand center stand mount may fracture.

Consequence: If the center mount fractures, it will not provide adequate support for the center stand while the vehicle is parked and may cause the motorcycle to fall over, increasing the risk of injury to those nearby.

Remedy: Triumph will notify owners, and dealers will install a new center stand bracket to the left hand side of the motorcycle frame. The recall is expected to begin during January 2014. Customers may contact Triumph at 1-678-854-2010. Triumph’s number for this recall is SB508RM2013/033.

Notes: Customers may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236 (TTY: 800-424-9153); or go to www.safercar.gov

NHTSA Campaign Number(s): 13V608000

You must have out of touch or inept folks at your local places to put it mildly. Almost anyone with any contacts about what's going on in the world knows this recall is in process and those guys either know it and don't want to talk about it yet or are so out of touch I wouldn't trust them with an oil change.

Its not rare for dealerships to have some newb on staff but they're usually parts guys who you have to teach how BMWs parts numbers work.

Lucky for me, the dealers I use have stable experienced staff- who are well plugged in to recalls coming down the pipe. (They've told me about recalls coming). My K-GT and an RT are in this one, the latter already got a pre-emptive ring added so needs nothing and the K-GT was intact the last time I had the tank off a few months ago so I don't know if I'll take it in or not.

I'm figuring another couple months before I see letters but even then don't expect fast action- there will be a lot of bikes at any dealership and work takes time. This recall covers most of the models sold from 2005-2011.

Per my post in another thread, I spoke with BMWNA and they told me the letters would be out by the end of February.

Thanks for that update bro.

If I just go ahead and get if fixed ( I love my RT and miss riding it) can I expect a rebate for the work when the letter comes out?

Afternoon Guy

Maybe or maybe not.

Depends on if BMW wants to refund ALL the dealer labor.

Unless the dealer uses the same Warranty labor rate for customer paid labor they will more than likely charge you a lot more for installation than they would get paid from BMW under warranty rates.

My guess is you will get all the parts cost back & most of the labor cost back but not the "shop rag, glue fees, misc" & possibly not some of the labor paid above warranty rate.

Do the letters go to the dealer or owner? I have moved since I purchased my '06 R12RT. Do I need to notify BMW NA or the dealer that I purchased the motorcycle from of my new address?

Buckster

Afternoon Buckster

The letter s-h-o-u-l-d come from BMW & will go to your old address (unless you have mail forwarding).

If you wait until others start getting letters then visit your dealer they can probably find your bike's VIN in the effected vehicle recall list.

aggieengineer

When the process finally starts, it will be really interesting to see what gets judged repairable and what will be replaced. I'd bet that BMW will have definite criteria to meet before a new pump is offered, and dealer judgment will not be sufficient by itself. They may even want the old pumps back to be inspected.

I had about half a dozen cracks in mine, and put an Oetiker clamp on it two years ago. No leaks so far, but a new pump would be comforting.

Take pictures if possible, and give other members an idea of what to expect. Some live quite a distance from a dealer, and might not bother with the recall if an owner-installed clamp is only going to be replaced with another one installed by the dealer.

Call BMW NA and tell them you are risking your life riding your motorcycle, and the property you store it in, in its current condtion. Ask them to give the dealer persmission to fix it now and not wait until the official recall letters are sent out. Worth a try.

Joe Frickin' Friday
When the process finally starts, it will be really interesting to see what gets judged repairable and what will be replaced. I'd bet that BMW will have definite criteria to meet before a new pump is offered, and dealer judgment will not be sufficient by itself. They may even want the old pumps back to be inspected.

I would think "no visible cracks in boss" gets a steel collar pressed on, and "one or more visible cracks in boss" gets replaced. Fixing a crack would require sealant and time and would have questionable long-term reliability (and therefore uncomfortable liability for MBW).

Related topic--how will BMW notify owners who've purchased an affected model used via a private sale? I can't find any owner/vehicle registration link on BMW Motorrad's US or Intl site (they do have one for BMW cars).

I don't recall if manufacturers access state DMV records to obtain VIN numbers and addresses for recall notices, but I would think so? Guess I'll wait to see if I get a recall notice and if not then contact BMW NA or visit my dealer to get in their system. I do have the reinforcing ring already to install myself, so it's not terribly critical to me, but...

It seems they'd want to know who has bought their bikes used so they can market new models to them.

They must have access. I have a 99 Ford Truck I bought from a private sale and couple of years after I purchased it I got a gas tank recall on it in the mail? Not sure how Ford new I owned it, but they did.

Related topic--how will BMW notify owners who've purchased an affected model used via a private sale? I can't find any owner/vehicle registration link on BMW Motorrad's US or Intl site (they do have one for BMW cars).

I don't recall if manufacturers access state DMV records to obtain VIN numbers and addresses for recall notices, but I would think so? Guess I'll wait to see if I get a recall notice and if not then contact BMW NA or visit my dealer to get in their system. I do have the reinforcing ring already to install myself, so it's not terribly critical to me, but...

It seems they'd want to know who has bought their bikes used so they can market new models to them.

Evening Doug

A good question, I'm not sure how, or how far, BMW will go to find 2nd/3rd owners.

I have received a number of recalls on vehicles & bikes as I have owned a fair number of vehicles in my somewhat long life.

I can't remember ever getting one on a vehicle I bought used.

In any case, some of the auto related recalls I have received have a response number, or E-Mail address, or mail address to use if I don't own that vehicle any longer.

Some I have sent the info in & on others I have just thrown the recall notice out.

If it is something like brakes or safety related I usually let the company know I no longer own that vehicle.

I just can't see BMW pinging every DMV in every state to find out if ownership has changed.

I would imagine if you bought the bike used from a BMW dealer they might have your bike's VIN in the BMW system with new owner address. If bought from a private source then I have my doubts that BMW will try to track you down.

State DMVs have correct addresses by VIN for all vehicles still in legal road use. Don't know to what extent these are available to manufacturers for recalls but presumably recalls are in the public interest so access ought to be possible.

State DMVs have correct addresses by VIN for all vehicles still in legal road use. Don't know to what extent these are available to manufacturers for recalls but presumably recalls are in the public interest so access ought to be possible.

Morning Racer7

Not always, they SHOULD HAVE the correct address but few riders or drivers change their address at the DMV when they move.

Most wait until their next visit to the DMV to change their info, if they even think to do it then. Or, if they are truthful with the police on their current address when they get stopped the LEO will usually inform them to bring their home address up to date on the DMV records.

My own brother has moved 3 times & still has his 4 year old residence on record with the DMV.

The recall system is pretty flawed if the vehicle is registered to a 2nd or 3rd owner. I still occasionally get recall notices on vehicles I haven't owned in years.

I just looked at the last recall notice I received on a truck I sold in 2006 (probably the 5th one I have received on the same vehicle for the same problem) & it appears the manufacture has turned the recall notice procedure over to my local dealer now. (as far as I know that vehicle is registered in another state now)

The BMWNA rep said they have access to the CURRENTLY registered owner for each VIN. He then looked my VIN number up and it had me listed with my current address. I am at least the third owner of the 07RT.

The BMWNA rep said they have access to the CURRENTLY registered owner for each VIN. He then looked my VIN number up and it had me listed with my current address. I am at least the third owner of the 07RT.

Morning John

Did you buy your BMW used from a BMW dealer?

Or have you had your bike serviced by a BMW dealer?

I'm curious if they have you/found you by DMV registration or from dealer records?

All: a couple of us over on BMWSporttouring.com seem to have had some success in updating contact information with BMWNA. What we did was send emails with VIN and new address information to

customerservice@bmwmotorcycles.com and

customerrelations@bmwusa.com.

What I got back from the former (customerservice@bmwmotorcycles.com) was the following:

RE: Your Motorrad Correspondence [1-3430374596]

Dear John,

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA.

We have updated your address on file to the one provided. Please allow up to 48 hours for this update to take place in your local BMW Motorrad dealer's system.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Regards,

Emily Lane

BMW Motorrad USA

Representative

The other fellow on BMWSporttouring.com had a similar reply from a different representative.

This may be simpler than we assumed ...

JayJay

While we aren't in the dealers face about this we are on a mailing list with an AZ club member who works at Victory BMW in Mesa, AZ. That dealership hasn't heard of the recall and our 2 R1200RTs and '05 and a '09 aren't on any list.

Guest Kakugo

I am very curious about what BMW will do with us poor saps who live outside of the United States but forked over our hard earned cash nonetheless. ;)

I suspect the higher possibilities of litigation will give the US the priority, if not exclusive rights, on this recall. After all the bulletin about side cases (check and replace if needed) got to dealers here months after I heard about it on this fine website.

I am very curious about what BMW will do with us poor saps who live outside of the United States but forked over our hard earned cash nonetheless. ;)

I suspect the higher possibilities of litigation will give the US the priority, if not exclusive rights, on this recall...

Actually, a recall was issued in Canada before it was in the U.S., so it's certainly not exclusive to the U.S., nor was the U.S. first to issue one.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have no info to go on, concerning the fuel leak on my 05. The spot I'm in I take the bike in to get it fixed, only find out later that fix is on the recall list, and good luck getting the rebate.

So my bike sits in the garage like it has for the last year. Go figure.

Just tell me you're NOT gonna fix my bike, and I'll bring it in, I just don't wanna be the chump who pays outta his pocket only to find if I'd waited a month longer the fix is under the recall.

You might find this interesting :

LINK To BMW Response to NHTSA Recall

Check's in the mail .... BMW style , denial and stall.

Apparently stall mode is in progress.

"BMW expects to begin dealer notification in December and complete dealer notification in February. BMW expects to begin owner notification in February and complete owner notification in April."

Notice there is no mention of what YEAR these notifications will take place nor when actual recall work will begin.

It's now mid-March and no one has found a dealer that will acknowledge notification from BMW that this recall officially exists, so it seems BMW has already totally missed their own notification deadline.

I'm feeling better about having bought the 10ovr clamp.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Check's in the mail .... BMW style , denial and stall.

Indeed. From the document at your link:

Preliminary results indicated that cracsk were developing due to inappropriate disconnecting and reconnecting of the quick connector during service...

:confused:

Can someone toss me a clue? My '09 RT has about 35K miles on it, and the only time I've fiddled with that disconnect was when I was installing my own flange reinforcement ring. Am I missing something? Is there part of the routine maintenance that I'm forgetting about that requires disconnecting the fuel lines? Is there some sort of repair procedure that involves disconnecting those lines, that is common to most or all of the flange failures?

A review of fuel pump supplier information concluded that production quality and process was according to specification.

...which says nothing at all about the suitability of those specifications.

The fuel pump will be inspected. If no leaks are present, cracks in the flange are small, and the flange diameter has not exceeded a certain measurement, then a reinforcing ring will be installed on the flange neck.

Wow. How small is "small?" That reinforcing ring better be really snug; if it doesn't relieve all of the tensile stress in the area where those "small" cracks are, then they're just about guaranteed to grow over time...

clip--

Can someone toss me a clue? My '09 RT has about 35K miles on it, and the only time I've fiddled with that disconnect was when I was installing my own flange reinforcement ring. Am I missing something? Is there part of the routine maintenance that I'm forgetting about that requires disconnecting the fuel lines? Is there some sort of repair procedure that involves disconnecting those lines, that is common to most or all of the flange failures?

--clip

That quick disconnect gets fiddled with every time a new fuel strip is installed. For some of us that is over 5 times (so far). It was also fiddled with when the BMW brake line recall was done.

On the early 1200RT's (with wizzy brakes)it gets fiddled with on every brake flush.

I've got an '06 RT and my QDs were "played with" whenever the fuel tank was removed, e.g., brake system flushes, hard-wiring of GPSs (2) and also the two times my fuel strip was replaced. I've had no problems to date.

Hmm,

Just replaced the battery after my 2005 R1200RT was sitting 2 years with a holed rear tire. Started in 5 seconds cranking but started leaking fuel at left front corner shortly after that.

I suppose it sounds like it could be the problem relating to the recall. I've had the brakes flushed twice and the fuel strip was replaced once and perhaps fiddled with again for an inaccuracy issue. Been too long to remember.

This can be fixed permanently for around $40 bucks,,Cost more then that bringing you bike to the dealer and waiting around for them to decide what to do with it, If your time is worth anything,,LOL,,,Yup ,,Cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider,,,,,, :dopeslap:

Mine started off as a leak, now its pouring gas out the left side front. Turn the key, put pressure on the system, you better have a bucket under it.

I'm frustrated about this, and all this run run around. I enjoyed my RT and I miss riding it..

Joe Frickin' Friday
I enjoyed my RT and I miss riding it..

If I was in your shoes, I'd get it fixed. Tight of budget? See what used parts you can get from Beemer Boneyard, and do the work yourself.

You can make more money in the future, but you will never be this young and healthy again.

No doubt you do miss it. Have you tried taking pics or a short video of the leak and then contacting BMW corp directly?

No doubt you do miss it. Have you tried taking pics or a short video of the leak and then contacting BMW corp directly?

+1 VIDEO...

• 2 weeks later...

I called BMW customer service today and was told the letters would be going out in two weeks. I was also told that the supposed letters were not available as yet to customer service so they could not share any information as to what they would cover. I took pictures of the fuel pump with just the crack in the flange and one with it spraying fuel. Those pictures were sent to my dealer who hasn't been getting a lot of support on this issue from the company and he is going to forward said pictures up the food chain. With any luck at all we will all get these rumored letters in two weeks and have this issue resolved. I however am not holding my breath.

Got my recall letter this week in the snail mail.

The recall is for real, so be patient and don't listen to misinformation

OTOH, it remains to be seen how many actual pumps will be replaced under the recall vs being "fixed" with a metal ring.

Cheers

Update: after calling dealer, BMW customer service and sending dealer a picture clearly showing the spewing fuel. I got an email this morning from Julius at Gina's BMW informing me he has a fuel pump ordered and it should be in house late next week. Big thanks to Julius and Gina's for excellent customer service. :clap:

For those of you in the US waiting, I received my fuel pump recall notice in the mail today.

I got mine yesterday (California) but it said basically "no parts, sit tight until we contact you again". At least I know they have my address.

JayJay

Archived