IGNORED

Ear Buds on the WetHeads

Mike05

And the questions begin!

I prefer ear buds over helmet speakers. On the HEXHEADS '05-'09, you can integrate sound from the GPS, Valentine One & Sirius/XM Radio to ear buds using an antenna puck and a MixIt. The extra control module from Valentine One is useful too.

On the CAMHEADS '10-'13', it's much easier (for me anyway; Tom/3Putt did it for me), he did two things: he direct-wired a plugin from the GPS to the Plug already on the bike for that exact purpose. (Some type of booster for the GPS sound helps too).

Then he did something similar for the ear buds: ran a direct-wire to a plugin on the bike that's also found up front but for use with rear speakers. By setting the radio to only play sound thru the rear speakers, which now go directly to my ear buds, I had sound from everywhere (except Radar Detector; was just working on that.).

Long winded way to get to the question: How to get sound to ear buds on the WETHEADS? No room under the seat(s) for much of anything (it's going to be hard to even put a fuse panel in there) so using the old approach w/puck & MixIt isn't an option. Keeping in mind the tech's at the dealer are also learning their way around this bike but a quick look by them didn't reveal a dedicated rear speaker plugin either. I'm pretty sure there's one on the K1600's so why not the Wethead's? If so, where is it?

Any ideas/comments appreciated. I would really like to hear Sirius/XM thru ear buds.

I am not familiar with these bikes (like everybody else) but I think there may be enough room under the front bodywork (for example between cover and tank) to fit a small sized multimedia hub, like an Autocom.

Mike, I've been using etymotic ear buds for years now and for me this is the only way to go too. The sound quality is absolutely phenomenal. One option that I am considering is Sena blue tooth since they have a earbud plugin option. Another would be to go with the BMW bluetooth and then modify for earbuds, but this could be an expensive proposition if I screw it up. Finally, I could tie (splice) directly into the output lines on the radio that's under the seat. Just some thoughts and I am defiantly interested in other responses here.

I'm going to look harder for a rear speaker plugin as soon as the weather warms up a little (hopefully this weekend!).

I'm told there is one on the K 1600's but don't know that first hand. If true, it stands to reason there is also one on the Wetheads. I know, don't hang my hat on "stands to reason"...

I like the etymotic ear buds too but got hooked on Arizona Al's custom sets & have been using them ever since.

I'm going to look harder for a rear speaker plugin as soon as the weather warms up a little (hopefully this weekend!).

I'm told there is one on the K 1600's but don't know that first hand. If true, it stands to reason there is also one on the Wetheads. I know, don't hang my hat on "stands to reason"...

I like the etymotic ear buds too but got hooked on Arizona Al's custom sets & have been using them ever since.

There is not a plug on the K16.

With their adaptor kit you can tie an Autocom into the Alpine unit that resides in the tail. That is what I did. Now you can keep all the radio functions, add radar, hear GPS voice prompts and go full Bluetooth at a later date should you desire.

Hi Greg,

I've still got my Autocom from the '05 sitting in a box in the garage! Switched over to a "MixIt" on the '11 in order to integrate sound from the GPS, XM radio, bike radio & Radar Detector. Worked well.

Is that along the same idea or will I need to use the Autocom vs. the MixIt?

I too have been using the same set up, Zumo 550 with XM (hockey puck), V1 into a MixIt Etymotic 6i Isolator Earphones. I’m picking up the new RT very soon, it should be in this week. I looked at the Sena SMH-10 got some feedback from this forum, very mixed. I then contacted Sena, I was told the sound out of the BMW radio over the Bluetooth was at full volume and could be distorted. Not a way to go IMHO.

I don’t see any room under the seat to install anything on this bike. I’m hope a fuse block will fit under the rear seat? It looks like we will have to get creative finding dry place to keep out toys.

I was at the dealership this past weekend I was told the only way is to tap into the speakers of the bike, use the rear. I plan on doing this, I’m sure once I get the plastic off I’ll figure it out.

Since XM is on the bike one year of service is included, I decided to pop for the NAV V. Now the V 1, it looks like a ram mount off the brake or clutch is going to work. I’m not going to us the MixIt this time but go with the H.A.R.D. system from http://www.legalspeeding.com/ , this will be clean and I’ll have great sound into my headset plus have full control of all using the bikes scroll wheel!

Jay

I read strataj comments on the Sena. That the Bluetooth with the nav 5 sends the sound at full volume. The Sena, I thought had a volume control. Is Sena saying one can not turn down the volume? I was planning to purchase their new 20 once out this May. I really do not want to hard wire. A sena can have ear buds.

I read strataj comments on the Sena. That the Bluetooth with the nav 5 sends the sound at full volume. The Sena, I thought had a volume control. Is Sena saying one can not turn down the volume? I was planning to purchase their new 20 once out this May. I really do not want to hard wire. A sena can have ear buds.

Unless I misunderstood his (strataj) post, I thought he was talking about the BMW radio/stereo volume through the Sena, not the Nav V's volume. The Sena has a volume control (the jog dial) and the Nav V certainly has a volume control (individually controlling separate sound sources. For example, you can have the GPS instructions at one level, and the media player at another). I use my Sena with earbuds and I just bought a Nav V a few weeks ago (not yet mounted on the bike, though).

Hi Mark,

So can you listen to both the bike radio and/or XM/Sirius thru your Sena-with-ear buds now?

Also, will you also hear the Nav V as well, and all controlled via the Sena with ear buds?

Man, I'm embarrassed to say it out loud but I think I miss wires! I'm in new territory for me.

I don't think there is any volume control in the NAV V. The sena, as of now will only pair to one audio source. You can listen to the bike radio and all imputs. The NAV V will not play when the sena is paried to the bike.

All new RT owners that are going the Autocom route need to contact Rocketmoto. They can advise you on the best interface and have a lot of experience with BMW

Don't by pass the wonder wheel functions. One of them is volume control.

This may give you all some ideas. This is very similar to my install. It is a k16 but you will find similarities. http://www.agridata.ie/uploads/BT-K1600.pdf

The reply I got from Sena "The problem with the BMW R1200 RT is not the pairing, but the volume coming from the bike is too loud that it over drives (or distorts) the speaker on our headset. Also, you can only pair one Sena headset (SMH10) to the BMW Bluetooth system. The SMH10 will pair with your bike, but you might hear distortion on the speakers."

Jay

I don't think there is any volume control in the NAV V....

No, that's not correct. As I said earlier, the Nav V absolutely has a volume control. And, if you get into the "master volume", you can set audio sources at different levels.

My dealer rode a new RT this weekend. His Sena paired with the bike and his head set contolled the vol. The radio and nav worked fine. He had problems with the phone. That was due to the phone or head set but the vol control worked.

If you are trying to sync iphone to navigator v, download free app smartlink...worked fine after that. Understand the same app exists for android too.

From Corvallis:

See hard wire with pictures here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90481

IrishMike, this buds for you."

Corvallis,

THANK A LOT! :thumbsup:

I met another '14 RT rider (& new Board member) last weekend when I picked up my bike ( Hi Jay/strataj) & he's interested in doing this as well. In fact I think he picks up his bike today; perfect timing. This is just great!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to return the favor.

And the "Bud".....

I did take delivery today. I have a SMILE that just can’t be taken away. I look forward adding the audio cable, THANKS so much for your help it’s just what I needed. Mike too had a similar plan. Yours came out the way I vision it. I need to track down some Posi Lock locally, anyone know of any chains carrying them?

Jay

ok want to make an update to my cable comment. I could sync my Iphone to the Nav 5 and to the SENA 10, but could not get the BMW Radio System to play through the SENA.... Went back to dealer and was advised no way to play radio through helmet except with BMW proprietary audio system on the Shuberth Helmet for a mere $1400... So will continue to use recorded music on IPhone to SENA and use the radio with speaker for all else. Phone worked fine sync'd to Nav5.

Did 360 miles on new RT today....New seat will be a must... It's better than the last original seat but it's no Russell..

ok want to make an update to my cable comment. I could sync my Iphone to the Nav 5 and to the SENA 10, but could not get the BMW Radio System to play through the SENA.... Went back to dealer and was advised no way to play radio through helmet except with BMW proprietary audio system on the Shuberth Helmet for a mere $1400... So will continue to use recorded music on IPhone to SENA and use the radio with speaker for all else. Phone worked fine sync'd to Nav5.

Did 360 miles on new RT today....New seat will be a must... It's better than the last original seat but it's no Russell..

Check this link:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90449

I did take delivery today. I have a SMILE that just can’t be taken away. I look forward adding the audio cable, THANKS so much for your help it’s just what I needed. Mike too had a similar plan. Yours came out the way I vision it. I need to track down some Posi Lock locally, anyone know of any chains carrying them?

Jay

I have never seen them any place other the the Net. I just ordered more through Amazon. Order a few extra because it is easy to drop a cap and lose it. Also they come in handy for other projects. The best deal I could see was a pkg of twenty which let you spread the $7 shipping cost over more parts. You want the 20-22 gauge (red with gray cap on one end)

If you want to deactivate the speakers its easy just take off the speaker cover plate (two screws and a tap on the top left then undo the speaker connections. Nothing to it…

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

With my K1600 I wanted to simply use ear buds to listen the radio without having the bike speakers on. Did some research which lead me to the little black box (no need to mention who I bought it from). I bought their product along with the switch to be able to switch back and forth between using the ear buds or the bike speakers. I spent about $125 for the unit :dopeslap:. For those of you that are just looking to use ear buds with out all of the different Bluetooth features and devices, don't spend the money on this unit. You can get the ear buds to work for a lot less money, some mentioned in the above posts. I hope this helps the folks that are thinking of just getting ear buds to work. Whether I used the black box or wired in the ear buds to the system the sound quality was about the same - not great but far better than nothing....... just would have saved a lot of money.

Great Site and great info :clap:. I wish my research would have gotten me hear before spending the money.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I did it. My ear buds are now directly wired at the front speakers. By tapping in at the bottom of the speaker plug instead of the top external sound from the speakers is eliminated, which I wanted to do.

Plug & play; couldn't be happier.

Special thanks to fellow Board members who (painfully at times I'm sure) repeatedly walked me thru the process of either tapping in under the passenger seat or at the speakers themselves. I chose the second option, mostly because I had to remove the speaker covers anyway to turn off the external sound so while in there I did the wiring.

To RT-Flyer (Wayne) strataj (Jay), Corvalis & the always available to lend a hand & bail me out 3Putt (Tom), my special thanks. Couldn't have done it without you guys. From sending the correct wires to step-by-step directions (with pics!)& quite a bit of phone time you all came through. Well done.

Lastly, volume control seems an issue for some. An in-line volume as Jay has done works fine. If you prefer volume control at the bike's wheel inserting a PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter (seen here) seems to do the trick (still testing it out but so far, so good.). About $20.

x127SNi135-F-M.jpg

Thanks again guys,

Mike

Glad you have the setup that you like. I fooled around with bluetooth but I find that it has little to offer unless you want to do intercom or cell phone. It becomes just another battery to keep charged. I takes one second to plug in my earbuds and sound quality is just a matter of getting a set of buds with a good ear canal seal. No in-helmet speakers can match earbuds for sound quality in this environment. I have tried several iterations of speakers in different helmets. Even a $20 set of buds can give great sound with rich bass if you seal the ear canal. I found this out with a pair of $10 Comply foam tips for my buds.

My three top priority modifications from my GTL are now online on the R: hard wired audio, Flash2Pass garage door opener, and Skene Photon Blaster rear lights. Next on my agenda is the Accelerator Module.

Glad it all came together Mike, it's important to get our Toys working the way we would like / need them to be. Like Corvallis said Blue tooth has little to offer particularly from an Audio standpoint in my opinion. But I do need to have cellphone commo and as far as I have been able to tell, GPS audio is only available by Bluetooth ... Shame on BMW.

I listen to the Bikes Audio, FM, Sirius, MP3 all thru my earbuds. I replaced my Scala Q9X headset speakers with Tork Pro X speakers. Much better sound quality, volume and a very comfortable fit. GPS is paired to my helmet and my iPhone is pair to the Nav V so when I hear the GPS audio or phone ringer I just press the Radio "On" which kills the Bike Audio so I can hear the phone or instructions.

Went on a nice ride today to check out my new Grip Puppies ... Thanks Mike ... You meet the nicest people with your BMW.

...I replaced my Scala Q9X headset speakers with Tork Pro X speakers. Much better sound quality, volume and a very comfortable fit.

Agreed, the Tork X-Pro are excellent speakers. Great with my Sena SMH10.

OzarkR1200RT

Someone stated that Sena does not work with new RT.

Try this......make sure firmware on Sena is updated v 5.0

Pair phone to Sena

Pair RT to Sena

No need to pair Nav as audio (turn by turn) comes through RT.

Also, tapped into Alpine unit for direct line out for in ear monitors. Suggest you give Adam a call from Rocketmoto. He wired an in-line suppressor to reduce audio output. I wear in ear monitors (think NASCAR or Musician) and lowest audio level will blow your ear drums out.....seriously. Otherwise you can buy a cheap volume reducer that will accomplish the same objective.

Someone stated that Sena does not work with new RT.

Try this......make sure firmware on Sena is updated v 5.0

Pair phone to Sena

Pair RT to Sena

No need to pair Nav as audio (turn by turn) comes through RT.

Also, tapped into Alpine unit for direct line out for in ear monitors. Suggest you give Adam a call from Rocketmoto. He wired an in-line suppressor to reduce audio output. I wear in ear monitors (think NASCAR or Musician) and lowest audio level will blow your ear drums out.....seriously. Otherwise you can buy a cheap volume reducer that will accomplish the same objective.

If the GPS audio comes thru the Bikes audio why do you I not get the GPS audio when using earbuds thru Mini Jack connection. If I only Pair to the Bikes BT I will not get GPS audio. I have never heard GPS Audio thought speakers, Earbugs direct connect or Bikes BT, and I tried, paired and repaired, deleted all pairing on Bike and headset with the same result. I have asked on other forums this very question and have always been answered with you have to pair directly to GPS to get GPS audio.

I have tried your Pair sequence and get only Bike Audio ... Is there something I am not doing .... Is the some setting on the Nav V that I've missed. I purchased a Scala Q9X specifically because it has what they call the BMW mode, 2 channel BT that allows you to connect to the Bike and GPS.

Interested in find out the answer, I can not imagine why BMW would not have the GPS Audio straight into the Bikes Audio system to be heard via speakers or BT.

OzarkR1200RT

Darn Germans! I am actually using a Zumo 665 rather than Nav V.

This may be the small nuance........?

I have this same set-up on my GTL. Both bikes feed GPS audio through the speaker system. All I can think of it must have something to do with my Zumo vs Nav V?

Seems like I remember reading that the Nav V does not have an external waterproof speaker where the Zumo 665 does? It may be that the Nav V does not have the ability to send an "out" signal.....since it does not have an external speaker?

I have tap into the speaker wires and using earbuds I'm able to hear the Nav V along with the XM but this is the strange part. To hear the Nav V I first must touch the audio icon which shows a mute symbol then touch it again and the voice from the Nav V comes thru great.

Hi Jay, :wave:

So when the GPS "speaks" does the radio automatically mute or does it "talk over" the music?

Double tapping the audio icon gets you GPS sound; can you also mute it (GPS) as well?

How did you ever discover this!?

So when the GPS "speaks" does the radio automatically mute or does it "talk over" the music?

Double tapping the audio icon gets you GPS sound; can you also mute it (GPS) as well?

Yes you hear both the GPS and other audio source, sounds good.

Tap the speaker icon once it shows mute, tap it a second time the GPS now come thru. I assume if you tap again it will mute the GPS.

I'm one of those that mess with stuff. I travel for my job, the first thing I do in a rent car is reset the trip meter then I update the time. I got lucky on finding this solution; I have no basis of why it works.

Jay

Thanks for the info ... Down for a few days but will certainly try when I ride next.

Yes you hear both the GPS and other audio source, sounds good.

Tap the speaker icon once it shows mute, tap it a second time the GPS now come thru. I assume if you tap again it will mute the GPS.

I'm one of those that mess with stuff. I travel for my job, the first thing I do in a rent car is reset the trip meter then I update the time. I got lucky on finding this solution; I have no basis of why it works.

Jay

ShooterSteve

I was reading the 2014 RT audio system manual yesterday and it mentioned two connectors up front somewhere for rear speakers and another for aux input. Does anyone know if this would work for a direct connection for earbuds? It said to order the plug adapters from BMW.

Well, I have just got off from a long test ride and I have to say in comparison to my 1150RT (no need at all for ear plugs - I use an aerostitch high screen). The 1200RT Wethead is considerably noisier. It too had a high screen. I personally would consider it an ear plug bike. The noise is not wind noise, but exhaust noise.

Hi Jay, :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Took the bike to the dealer today for a maintenance issue so on the ride over I tried your "double-tap" on the audio icon on the GPS and, there was sound to the ear buds just like you said! GPS automatically lowers radio/Sirius volume when dispensing directions too.

Thanks for the great tip; saved me some creative wiring efforts.

On another note, while at the dealer they told me there is a recall on the '14 RT's for the rider seat putting out too much heat. They fixed/adjusted it in short order.

Hi Jay, :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Took the bike to the dealer today for a maintenance issue so on the ride over I tried your "double-tap" on the audio icon on the GPS and, there was sound to the ear buds just like you said! GPS automatically lowers radio/Sirius volume when dispensing directions too.

Thanks for the great tip; saved me some creative wiring efforts.

On another note, while at the dealer they told me there is a recall on the '14 RT's for the rider seat putting out too much heat. They fixed/adjusted it in short order.

Had a good ride today and tried the same thing with my Nav V ... No sound no joy. I need to start over and think this thru something just doesn't make sense.

RT-Flyer,

I’d make sure the volume is up on the Nav V and if you go to the next screen open the wrench make sure automatic voice prompts are checked. Open the audio mixer make sure navigation is on and at a level you are ok with.

Hope this helps you find the joy

Jay

RT-Flyer,

I’d make sure the volume is up on the Nav V and if you go to the next screen open the wrench make sure automatic voice prompts are checked. Open the audio mixer make sure navigation is on and at a level you are ok with.

Hope this helps you find the joy

Jay

Thanks Jay ... Started the process and realized I had not registered the unit and had 3 software updates and a map update ... All done. Checked all the items you listed and they all seemed to be set properly. Strange thing is yesterday all my other audio were canceling like it was ready to make the GPS audio announcements but I never heard anything.

Everything is reset, latest software and maps installed so I will give it a try when the weather clears ... Unbelievable this weather cycle. Went to pickup my topcase in Baton Rouge this morning it was 52 degree. I realize that not real cold but geez its South Louisiana in April.

WP

Norm LeFevre

I need a bit of help from you guys. I don't want to sound like a luddite, but a good part of this discussion is over my head.

That said, here's what I have and what I'd like to do:

Equipment:

2014 RT, with initial allocation setup; radio, etc.

Nav V

Nolan n-com helmet, with a removable "door" on the left side.

iPhone 5S

Desires:

Talk on phone (although as noted, it is a bit noisy, probably using a boom mike

Use earbuds rather than in-helmet speakers

Listen to radio

Get GPS audio for directions

At some point be able to hear my V1

Setup:

I'd prefer to have the wires/connections come from the front of the bike, through an electrified tank bag, which could hold the phone and keep it charged.

While I dont' really see myself playing the radio through the speakers, well.... 'ya never know, so I'd rather not disable them.

Oh, and of course, there's the issue of a passenger that I'd like to communicate with, as well as potentially setting up a bike2bike system.

Anyway, that's where I'd like to get, and would appreciate some direction regarding how to get there.

Thanks for any help offered, and I really appreciate the group and the knowledge base that is so obvious.

Norm ... Message me your contact details and I can send you a email with pictures and a discription of the way I connected a Mini Jack for earbud use directly from the Bikes audio output if you are interested. I did disabled the speakers but that optional by not disconnecting the front speaker connector. It's really not complicated.

I have recently started using a Scala Q9X paired set of communicators, love them and the built in features which are some of what you are looking for. I teh Pre Pair Power Set, having one to lend to my son or a good friend who I ride with all the time to enable us communicate bike to bike. They have up 1000 yards intercom range and when that fails you can set it up to have the unit programmed / associated to a cell phone number and it will call the cell phone as the next commo option. I ride solo but Q9X also has a music sharing feature that the rider can share whatever music he is listening to with the other headset.

First it has 2 Channels of Bluetooth so you can Scala calls this tere BMW mode;

Pair to the Bike and your iPhone

Pair to the bike and Pair to the Nav V, then pair you iPhone to the Nav V. Now when someone is calling you not only do hear it but see it displayed on the Nav V screen with an accept or decline button. With your helments paired to the Nav V you can also you "Voice Activated Nav" from the Bikes menu.

I almost always have my earbuds in except on short hops and around town. So I am always listening to Bike audio through the earbuds but I also monitor the Bluetooth phone, intercom and GPS at the same time thru the helmet speakers. If I have an intercom call or Call coming in I can just hit the Radio on button once or dial the whizz wheel volume to zero and hear the BT audio no problem. I do need to answer SOME calls but like the visual on the Nav V allowing me to makie that decision without having to look at the phone.

Options, lots of options.

WP

ShooterSteve

[quote=Went back to dealer and was advised no way to play radio through helmet except with BMW proprietary audio system on the Shuberth Helmet for a mere $1400...

My Cardo (four years old), worked fine with radio, nav etc. From what I hear any head set will connect fine but the quality from the radio is terrible.

Archived