IGNORED

OK I don't want to spend a grand on a riding suit. So what would you recommend?

Bud

I've always had great success with the First Gear Killimanjaro (sp?) jacket and their over-pants and air-pants.

The newest version of their jacket has been completely re-designed and is much nicer and more comfortable.

The jacket and the over-pants are all-weather, with removeable liners.

Good color and size choices.

Looking at a Tourmaster Advance jacket and overpants. Any thoughts?

If the Tourmaster gear is still made of fabric with a pvc lining on the inside, it will not breath at all. I have a Tourmaster jacket and pants set that I wear in cold weather and it works great for that and has proved to be pretty much water proof too as long as I get the flaps right over the zippers. In the summer you will not be happy.

My advice is to find a used Aerostich Roadcrafter. I found a near perfect suit for $400. I've had it four years now and it still looks great. I'm sure I could get most if not all of my money back if I decided to sell it.

For me it's the best "do it all" riding suit I've found. The fabric, the construction and those under the arm zip vents really make it better than the rest.

I'll attach a pic of my one piece suit from last years trip down the BRP

632953-brp05.jpg.495506fef4dbc527e3528f50c22e7f55.jpg

Tasker beat me to it. My wife and I both have the Kilimanjaro jacket

and the HT over pants. We're very satisfied with our FirstGear

apparel; very versatile, and work well in all WX conditions and seasons

with the exception of days when the temps climb into the upper

eighties or higher.

The prices are reasonable too. However I plan to add aftermarket CE

rated armor to replace the foam that they come with.

I wouldn't overlook Joe Rocket products. I decided to try some of their stuff, since it was comparably so inexpensive, and I have found them to perform very well. I bought a jacket, a pair of cold weather pants, and a pair of warm weather pants, and will probably wear them until they wear out.

Check out http://www.newenough.com/

Had First Gear Kilimenjaro Jacket and pants. Had a minor 35MPH get-off. Too much thin nylon on the First Gear suit which provided zero protection.

Now have Motoport UltraII Kevlar suit.

Seems to me (after learning the hard way) that there are better areas in which to economize.

OK I don't want to spend a grand on a riding suit. So what would you recommed...
It really comes down to this: I didn't want to spend a grand on a riding suit either, however, my wife--a nurse who has seen many a bad motorcycle-accident victim wearing no gear--recommended it because she said she'd rather spend a grand on a riding suit now than $15,000 in skin graphs later. So I would recommend you get a good riding suit. That, a good pair of riding boots and gloves that will not disintegrate upon impact with hard asphault. This, like many things in life, is a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" decision. After careful consideration over the first year of riding and getting a second mortgage (not really, but you get my sarcasm), it was a toss-up between a BMW Savanna II, a BMW Ralleye, or the Aerostich Darien/Roadcrafter option. I went with the BMW Savanna II suit because I had read about others who had went down with it on at high speeds and because, frankly, the red color spoke to me. I hope to never find out how well works against road rash after I surf down a strip of concrete asphault at 60-80mph eek.gif, however, I ride with a peace of mind everytime I climb on the bike wearing it.

As they say, your mileage may vary... smile.gif

Had First Gear Kilimenjaro Jacket and pants. Had a minor 35MPH get-off. Too much thin nylon on the First Gear suit which provided zero protection.

I'm not disputing your incident, but my experience was quite different.

I not only had a 45mph to 50mph get-off, my GS threw me and itself off a 30' cliff, landing in a dry creekbed at the bottom.

Before I took flight, there was ample amounts of sliding and grinding on blacktop pavement, then gravel, then dirt.

My (very old and worn out) Killimanjaro jacket and First Gear Air overpants saved my ar$e -- litterally -- and kept my skin on my body.

Both the pants and the jacket had the original foam armour.

Is there better gear out there? Absolutely. But I'd buy the First Gear stuff again, if I didn't want to buy or could not afford to buy the Stitch.

Have your cash ready, know what size you need and watch E-Bay and other classified areas. I purchased my S2 BMW jacket for $240 and it still smelled new. Gently used gear is a real bargain.

Be patient and keep an eye out. The bargains are out there.

Have your cash ready, know what size you need and watch E-Bay and other classified areas. I purchased my S2 BMW jacket for $240 and it still smelled new. Gently used gear is a real bargain.

Very true, and it helps if you are within a "normal" size range.

John R. (DB name) bought an "almost new" one piece Stitch, and it was beautiful, and he saved big buxx.

Apparently, the original owner out-grew the suit.

Going shopping myself...looking for hot-weather, 2 piece, suitable for track days, NOT black, as inexpensive as possible.

New, this is the cheapest combo I found:

Rev'it-Airflow Mesh Jacket (grey/black) $229.99

BMW Airflow 2 Pants (grey) $225.00 (The Rev'It pants were cheaper, but only available in black)

I like the HT pants but didn't like the sponge rubber knee and hip pads.....Stopped wearing them until I bought good aftermarket knee armor..Just jammed the armor in the pockets right over the sponge rubber in the knees..I feel better with them now.....Good pants as they have a removable liner so will work in any (So.Cal.) weather.......

I wear a Savanna II jacket in moderate weather and will wear my Tour Master jacket when it's cooler (along with the Gerbings)........Savanna II is a really good jacket and the Tour Master is OK....Protection is important to me and I feel both of them are satisfactory there.......

Phil...........Redbrick

I've always had great success with the First Gear Killimanjaro (sp?) jacket and their over-pants and air-pants.

The newest version of their jacket has been completely re-designed and is much nicer and more comfortable.

The jacket and the over-pants are all-weather, with removeable liners.

Good color and size choices.

Although I agree with the First Gear HT and HT Air pants, I never liked the extra length of the Killimanjaro, so I bought a First Gear Kenya jacket years ago, which is a waist-length Killi. I don't believe they are made anymore, so I'd go to E-bay for a used one if you're interested.

Have you look at olympia motosports gear? I like mine. thumbsup.gif

Funny you should mention Olympia - I just happened across an '04 jacket test in Motorcycle Consumer News: CLICK HERE: mcnews.com Review Page

The jacket test is near the bottom of the page and is in the form of three PDF files (awkward and slow to read, but still works). In any case they rated the Olympia Sentry very well against jackets costing twice as much (or more).

So this prompted me to call a Denver BMW dealer who also happens to carry Olympia gear (got the local dealers from Olympia's web page). The more I talked to the BMW sales guy the more I was convinced the Sentry is well made and comperable to the BMW Commuter III which I was also considering!

You may be able to find the Sentry on closeout as it is now being replaced by the AST Touring jacket. Matching Ranger pants are unchanged for this year. Per the sales guy, sizing is a bit smaller than other brands so definitely try 'em on before buying!

Price of new AST jacket and Ranger pants is nearly that of the Commuter 3 jacket.

Greg

russell_bynum
Going shopping myself...looking for hot-weather, 2 piece, suitable for track days, NOT black, as inexpensive as possible.

Just my $0.02...you couldn't PAY ME to wear mesh on the race track.

Just my $0.02...you couldn't PAY ME to wear mesh on the race track.

FYI, I agree but with one exception. The BMW Airflow pants and jacket are made from Dynatek, the same material that the Savanna is made from, and the most abrasion-resistant textile on the market. While not equivalent to leather, I doubt you could find a better textile material. I'd wear either, Airflow or Savanna, on a track. And the jacket and pants do zip together across the back.

Richard

From what I hear and read Moto Port is pretty much the best stuff on the market (www.motoport.com). I just ordered the GP2 Jacket w/liner-$400 for the jacket and $150 for the liner. It has Kevlar, body armour, and it light weight. A buddy has the same stuff and he has been down twice at 50mph and 70mph and did not have a scratch on him. I believe it is the only non leather material approved to road race. Apparently a lot of racers have been switching to this material because it is lighter much more tear resistant than leather and is cooler. Right now it takes appproximately 3 months to get the jacket I ordered because of demand and the fact that it is custom made. If you end up ordering a jacket from them make sure you add extra room for the liner, cell phone or camera in the pocket. The folks there are use to making the suits for racers so you want to make sure you have some extra room. I was lucky. I am using my buddies exact measurements except for the waist. I need a littel bit more room in that area (no jokes please). I bought some of their pants about 5 years ago and they are great. No complaints whatsoever. Checkout their website and read the reviews. And you won't spend $1000 either. Good luck with your search.

Keith

Funny you should mention Olympia - I just happened across an '04 jacket test in Motorcycle Consumer News: CLICK HERE: mcnews.com Review Page

The jacket test is near the bottom of the page and is in the form of three PDF files (awkward and slow to read, but still works). In any case they rated the Olympia Sentry very well against jackets costing twice as much (or more).

You may be able to find the Sentry on closeout as it is now being replaced by the AST Touring jacket. Matching Ranger pants are unchanged for this year. Per the sales guy, sizing is a bit smaller than other brands so definitely try 'em on before buying!

Price of new AST jacket and Ranger pants is nearly that of the Commuter 3 jacket.

Greg

Yes Greg that test is how come I looked at the Olympia Sentry. I also have there Ranger 2 pants. I like the stuff very well made and very good armor. The pants have a 8" zipper to make the jacket and pants as one unit( for the high speed get off ). I'm happy with them and looking at the airglide jacket for the hot days!

Start looking over on ebay and you can pick up a lot of slightly used stuff for next to nothing.

I've gotten three Dianese leather suits over there with the most expensive one costing under $200.00. These suits were all close to a grand when new and still in very good shape.

I'm not disputing your incident, but my experience was quite different.

I not only had a 45mph to 50mph get-off, my GS threw me and itself off a 30' cliff, landing in a dry creekbed at the bottom.

Before I took flight, there was ample amounts of sliding and grinding on blacktop pavement, then gravel, then dirt.

My (very old and worn out) Killimanjaro jacket and First Gear Air overpants saved my ar$e -- litterally -- and kept my skin on my body.

Both the pants and the jacket had the original foam armour.

Is there better gear out there? Absolutely. But I'd buy the First Gear stuff again, if I didn't want to buy or could not afford to buy the Stitch.

I had a 30mph low side, slid about 20-25 ft, and the First gear HT over pants shredded down to the waterproof liner. Now in their defense I didn't have a scratch on me, but the pants were trashed. I wonder if I had been going faster if the pants would have completely worn through. I am looking into cycleports kevlar pants.

Alan

I don't believe that anyone can expect their riding gear to get through an accident, where sliding on the ground is involved, without the gear grinding and shredding holes and rips in the materials.

This past summer, I had the opportunity to visit the Aerostitch factory and witnessed, first hand, several pair of various Stitch pants and jackets, as well as their one-piece suit, that had been involved in crashes of various seriousness. Everyone of them had significant tears in the materials, some of them all the way through to the inside. They were there for repair. Now, the Stitch products are bantered about as some of the finest and safest products made for riders and, based on what I saw, I would agree.

Does Aerostitch use better materials and better workmanship? I think so. And, I would guess that if you had one of their products on, you would be able to slide faster and farther before the pavement would meet your arse, which is what you are paying the extra monies for when you buy their products. When I have the money, I'll definitely buy their products.

My point is, if you crash, and your gear gets destroyed, it did its job, and don't expect to use it again. In fact, you shouldn't.

After my recent crash, all my gear, except my boots, was destroyed. My insurance company paid me for it, but they also had me send it to them so that they could inspect it, and then they got rid of it so that it could not be used again.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I only had one minor raspberry on my left knee from where the pants were ground all the way through. In this case, the reason was not that the materials didn't do their job, but because as I slid across the blacktop, my pants "hiked up" on me, putting the armour above my knees.

My crappy, old, worn out gear performed amazingly well. I have no complaints, at all.

I'm a big 'Stich fan. I think any of the other quality garments are almost the same price. Thecheaper ones are just that. So look for used gear - some people out grow their gear before it's even broken in. Or looks for stuff on sale. Max BMW Motorcycles has some sizes BMW garments on sale right now. Check them out at MAXBMW web page

I'm a big 'Stich fan. I think any of the other quality garments are almost the same price. Thecheaper ones are just that. So look for used gear - some people out grow their gear before it's even broken in......[/url]

Check out this one on Ebay right now...very humouse too...be sure to read the comments... clap.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8034494926

I found my slightly used Aerostich Roadcrafter on the the IBMWR Marketplace. It was practically new, and just my size.

• 2 weeks later...

Many suggested e-bay. Just did a search for jackets and leathers. OVER 33,000 items. crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Hard to believe there were that many for sale.

MC's are big business any way you look at it.

Rider Magazine this month (Feb. 06) has an extensive comparison of textile riding gear.

I love my Roadcrafter, but for better water proofness, I don't think you can beat a First Gear Kilimanjaro.

Lots of good responses here. But to answer your question about the Tourmaster Advance jacket. I have been very satisfied with mine - very comfortable, breaths well, waterproof, and I feel safe wearing it. Downside: the "pipeline ventilation" system can get overwhelmed at times (high speed and all the vents open) and the jacket will "inflate" - solution is to close some vents. Also, the collar could be a bit snugger around my neck.

I don't think there is a better buy for the money. I have no experience with the Tourmaster pants.

Peter

I got an armored Tourmaster Flex jacket for Christmas. It converts easily from a 600 Denier shell to a mesh shell and vice-versa. It has two zip-out liners. A waterproof liner and a quilted insulated liner. For me it seemed like the perfect three-season jacket. Probably four-season here in Oregon. I've only ridden with it this past chilly month a couple times but it is plenty warm on my short work commute, with both liners, down to freezing with a short-sleeved shirt on underneath. I got matching overpants and the whole set-up was only $400. So far, I think it's a great value. See it here. I'm really looking forward to the mesh option this summer.

Agreed, Kilimanjaro is a great jacket. Add the HT Overpants and your doing pretty well. I am looking really hard at the new Rev'it Cayanne jacket as a replacement.

As long as you get gear that your comfortable in and wear on a consistent basis you're doing well!

Try not to battle test the new duds is my theory! grin.gif

Archived