IGNORED

Scooter versus truck

tallman

Driving home in the truck today, on the phone with a daughter, I was following a scooter.

Common around here as many, many, students ride them, (80,000 college students in area).

She had her left turn signal on, and on, and on.

I told my daughter the rider (no helmet/gloves etc) seemed to be paying little attention to the traffic (2 lane local road).

About then the cars ahead stopped for a left turner.

The pickup truck in front of her stopped.

She wasn't watching and drove right into the rear of the truck.

Scooter totalled, face smashed and cut, multiple injuries, she was in a lot of pain and may have serious injuries.

I doubt she'll ride again, which may not be a bad thing.

Posting as a reminder that all of us on two wheels should never

lose focus regardless of how benign the situation appears as it can change rapidly.

There was nothing I could do as she flew into the tailgate and changed her life forever.

:(

Please be careful out there.

Was she looking at her phone? I've seen a number of young adults around the University of MN who ride and text, or text while stopped at lights. Of course, they don't wear any gear - flip-flops, shorts, t-shirt and sunglasses. Maybe a baseball cap. My big concern is they'll have a spill, and then become anti-motorcycle.

No phone.

She was just all over the place with her attention, head turning to and fro etc evidenced by failure to turn off left turn signal that had been on through the major intersection (4 lane divided) and on the 2 lane arterial road.

Rick,

I was operating my vehicle lawfully, including cell phone use.

• 4 weeks later...
Please tell us you were using a hands free method for your phone call.

I don't care if you were playing Soduku while texting your missus with a beer in your other hand, Timmy. Goodness. If I didn't already know ya, just being a member in here should be enough to earn a pass.

• 3 months later...

You shouldn't be doing anything but driving while driving. You're just as distracted with a hands-free device as you are while holding a handset. The distraction comes from not being able to mentally focus on two involving things at one time, driving and carrying on a conversation.

You want to talk, pull over.

DaveTheAffable
You shouldn't be doing anything but driving while driving. You're just as distracted with a hands-free device as you are while holding a handset. The distraction comes from not being able to mentally focus on two involving things at one time, driving and carrying on a conversation.

How literal are you about that?

1) Does that mean no talking on intercom between driver and pillion on a motorcycle?

2) Does that mean a driver of a car/truck should not talk to passengers?

Not being funny... serious question.

I have heard of studies that show that there is a big difference between talking to someone on the phone and talking to a passenger in the vehicle.

According to the study, as I recall, when talking on a phone, the driver's attention gets focused on his caller, and not the surroundings. In the case of the driver interacting with a passenger, the passenger adds another set of eyes and awareness of the surroundings and can warn the driver, and the conversation does not take the driver's perception away from the car or surroundings in the way a phone conversation can.

I heard of the study in a piece I heard on the radio, but do not know the source.

1) Does that mean no talking on intercom between driver and pillion on a motorcycle?

1. I don't carry passengers on the bike. I would only want an intercom for inter-bike communication and mostly for "gotta pee" "need gas" & "that BBQ place looks good".

2. I minimize that a lot, ask my nearly ex-wife how many times I never heard a thing she was talking about (beyond what all y'all do) or how many times I stopped talking in mid-word. I used to drive professionally and have seen too many stupid things happen to contribute, someone has to be paying attention. I'm responsible for the life of everyone in my vehicle, I take that responsibility VERY seriously.

As a passenger, I do everything I can to enhance the safety of the vehicle. I don't talk to the driver anymore than absolutely necessary, and keep my conversations with other passengers quiet and non-distracting. And I watch the road, not the person I'm talking to. More eyes, right ,BarryD?

DaveTheAffable

1. I don't carry passengers on the bike. I would only want an intercom for inter-bike communication and mostly for "gotta pee" "need gas" & "that BBQ place looks good".

2. I minimize that a lot, ask my nearly ex-wife how many times I never heard a thing she was talking about (beyond what all y'all do) or how many times I stopped talking in mid-word. I used to drive professionally and have seen too many stupid things happen to contribute, someone has to be paying attention. I'm responsible for the life of everyone in my vehicle, I take that responsibility VERY seriously.

As a passenger, I do everything I can to enhance the safety of the vehicle. I don't talk to the driver anymore than absolutely necessary, and keep my conversations with other passengers quiet and non-distracting. And I watch the road, not the person I'm talking to. More eyes, right ,BarryD?

I'd like to give, and hear, some more thoughts...... I think I kinda hijacked here.

Here... new thread... Driver Inattention

Archived