IGNORED

Camhead: Transmission Fluid Change Trick

Nathan Margolis

Nathan Margolis

Did 6K maintenance on my '13 RT over the weekend less valves and syn of throttle bodies. Drain plug is on the bottom and situated above the centerstand where it would make a mess coming out.

A few weeks ago, a friend sent me an email link of 80 different stupid household hints with one being the use of a dust pan in draining fluids. One uses the scooper part of the dust pan as the fluid catcher and the handle as the drain tube (or gutter) as it has a hole at the end.

This method works perfect on the RT as dust pan is wedged in between centerstand and the handle then is guided into oil drain pan. No mess what so ever.

Can't wait to use this method on my '95 Mustang GT with a cross member in the way. Should work nicely on this, too.

Did 6K maintenance on my '13 RT over the weekend less valves and syn of throttle bodies. Drain plug is on the bottom and situated above the centerstand where it would make a mess coming out.

A few weeks ago, a friend sent me an email link of 80 different stupid household hints with one being the use of a dust pan in draining fluids. One uses the scooper part of the dust pan as the fluid catcher and the handle as the drain tube (or gutter) as it has a hole at the end.

This method works perfect on the RT as dust pan is wedged in between centerstand and the handle then is guided into oil drain pan. No mess what so ever.

Can't wait to use this method on my '95 Mustang GT with a cross member in the way. Should work nicely on this, too.

Good tip. I did something similar on trucks, cars and motorcycles when draining oil...took a sheet of aluminum foil and formed a "funnel". Amazing how that can really clean up a messy job!

Nathan Margolis

You mentioned foil. That makes me think to line the dust pan with foil before using it for a drain gutter. This way, easy clean up and wife will not know I used her dust pan to drain motorcycle oil!!!!

Things like this remind me of high school days when I used to clean wire hubcaps, valve covers, and other parts in my mom's dishwasher (pop scrub cycle). It did a great job!!!!

You mentioned foil. That makes me think to line the dust pan with foil before using it for a drain gutter. This way, easy clean up and wife will not know I used her dust pan to drain motorcycle oil!!!!

Things like this remind me of high school days when I used to clean wire hubcaps, valve covers, and other parts in my mom's dishwasher (pop scrub cycle). It did a great job!!!!

Yeah, combining the dust pan and foil is better than either item alone!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

No need to remove tupper ware to refill trans fluid on rt. Drill a half inch pipe tap whole in lower tupper ware. Line it up with refill plug. Pickup a half inch pipe tap rubber grommet to cap whole. When you refill remove and fill. Trans oil change takes ten minutes.

Don't drill any holes!! First of all the air filter is on a 12,000 mile replacement schedule. The gearbox oil is on a 24,000 mile service schedule. Your removing fairing panels to change the air filter so on every other air filter change you already have the same panels off to service the gearbox oil. Stick to the service schedule and you will be fine.

Archived