IGNORED

Suspension Rebuild: Race Tech

Groanup

Last December, with nearly 40k miles on her, my RT's suspension was getting pretty squishy . I had been checking my options for a year by then, while trying to save the cash to get it done. I was looking at somewhere in the range of $1500 - $2000 to replace them while keeping the ESA (which I REALLY like). So while at the IMS in Long Beach, I made it a point to find the Race Tech booth at the show. I had checked their website and knew that they could rebuild BMW shocks while keeping the ESA.

I talked to Terry Diederichs at the show, and he said that, yes, they could rebuild certain years. Happily 2007 was one of those years. He didn't actually say so, but I believe the first generation ESA is the only rebuildable one.

They were closed for the Holidays so I took my RT in right after. Filled out the form (weight, riding style, etc.) and left "my precious" in their hands. I dropped it off on Friday and was told that it "won't be ready next week". I whimpered (only a little bit), and hitched a ride home with a friend. Then I waited... I got the email on the second Monday (10 days)... And picked it up on Tuesday!

I'm sure you've read or heard this before, but... It was like night and day. You don't realize just how mushy your suspenders are until you get fresh ones!

So Tony the suspension Tech, told me to ride it a couple weeks, play with the ESA and and see how I like it. He had set it right in the middle of it's range ("most guys like it there"), and if there was anything I didn't like, bring it back and they'd adjust it.

Well on the way home without the luggage on the bike and with the ESA set on solo "comfort", I experienced the single most jarring ride I have ever had. I felt every expansion joint on the freeway and it felt like my guts were all jumbled around and in the wrong place. Where was my kidney belt?! :eek:

I adjusted the damping from sport to comfort a few times and didn't notice any difference. But Tony said give it a couple weeks so... OK... Besides, I think this is helping with my core strength... :rofl:

I had already decided to take her up on Angeles Crest Hwy to try some twisty stuff, so I powered on past home and into the San Gabriel Mountains. I will say that this is what it was set up for! As I rode my usual "loop", I found myself checking my speedometer repeatedly because I seemed to be going too slow. It was too easy... Back on the freeway to home, my internal organs were still being rearranged.

The next day I put the side cases on, and after work, repeated the previous days ride in the mountains. Still nicer than nice in the curves, and the bags seemed to make a difference on the freeway. Seemed "smoother", but still harsh.

And so it went for that first week. Every day it smoothed out a bit more and last weekend I rode 350 miles with some o the hooligans and it was terrific!

So if you have first gen ESA on your RT (don't know about any other model), and you're looking to upgrade your suspension without spending 2 grand, This is an option you should consider.

Race Tech website

Sorry for the omission John,

I was doing this review and answering in another thread at the same time. I guess I forgot to put the cost in this one... :dopeslap:

The cost for both front and rear was $850 (that includes all new internals and springs for my weight), but because I don't have the space to do the labor myself, I paid an additional $150 for that. Also, I got the "show special because I set this up at the IMS in Longbeach last December. So add $100.

Archived