IGNORED

RT to GT to RT?

Limecreek

I decided to sell my GT last week when my rear drive failed at 18K, but that is not what this post is about. It didn’t take long to find my old “short” list of bikes and research notes from my last round of shopping 18 months ago—the research that led to the GT purchase.

The FJR, VFR, GT and RST (Aprilla) were all on my shopping list in 2004. I looked at the old list and selected the FJR, GT (new model) and then added the GS and the GSA (new model) for my new list.

I scratched the GSA from the list as soon as I heard about the seat height. I’m short and have an unstable, even after surgery, right knee. There is no way I am going to play tip toe, or the slide off the seat technique every time I need to stop. GSA gone—too bad, it had me emotionally.

The FJR came off the list after a snooty conversation I had with a local Yamaha dealer. I was about to cool off and add it back to my list when I found out the brakes on the ’06 would be fully linked and I remembered how much I hated the linked brakes on my old RT. FJR gone –but I may regret it.

I placed a deposit on the new GT with an expect delivery of “sometime this summer”. And then on Tuesday I went down to the dealer to take another hard look at the GS. I’ve ridden this bike and liked it very much. I even had Dex blow my doors off in the Hill County twisties on his GS and I even like that too, well sort of. tongue.gif Ok…it stays on the list.

While I was at the dealer and just for grins, I sat on an ’06 RT, and a flood of good memories came rushing back. It felt familiar, but better. My hips didn’t rock back they way they did on my 1150, and my knees weren’t splayed out—something that caused pain in that bad right knee.

I dumped my 1150 because of vibration and posture, plus I was itching for some more horsepower. The 1150 was reliable and handled well for a big machine, and there was a lot I missed about it. I could flat foot the 1200RT, something I still had problems with on the RT even with a Sargent low seat. The 1200RT has cruise control, and I could use the cruise to rest my hands from the vibey twin. But wait, my well informed sales person says they don’t vibrate like that anymore. Ok, but I will miss the power of the GT. But, the sales guy says it has nearly the power to weight ratio of my current GT. Really?! And, the brakes aren’t fully linked. What? And it has a heated seat, larger tank and can get 45 miles to the gallon.

So on Friday, I am going out to test ride an RT. I still have my eye on the new GT, but I am not sure I want to be a beta tester for the first production year and man, that thing is going to be spendy.

Who wants to make a bet on what bike I end up on?? I have a feeling things just may come full circle.

My job is to sell BMW bikes, but I'm the first one to warn my prospective customers: Test rides are dangerous - to your wallet! grin.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Greg, I'm a beta for the S with esa and abs. Its the same engine in the new GT.. You may want to wait and ck one out..

How is the lamp coming?

Greg,

I was an 03 GT owner (oddly enough with 18K), and went in with a friend in late Nov to find him a bike. The dealer almost dragged me outside and put me on an RT. I was sure I wouldn't like it... had tried a couple of late 90's R1100 models and later an R1150. But, the surging, vibration, and lack of power (compared to the K) just didn't do it for me. I had been on the test ride less than 10 minutes on the R12RT and I already knew I'd be making a sales pitch to the wife. I picked it up on 12/3 and it's sitting in the garage, freshly registered and waiting for clear roads, which will likely mean a breakfast ride tomorrow.

So, don't keep us in suspense too long! Tell us how you make out! Good luck with whatever you decide.

I couldn't get my test ride in tonight. I got there too late to fetch the now repaired GT (crown bearing) and squeeze in a test ride. The other minor point smirk.gif is that I'm still unemployed, and will not make any kind of toy related transactions until I have a positive cash flow again.

It looks like I’ll need some time to find a buyer for the GT, which btw, does not seem like a hot commodity right now. I haven’t had a nibble at $12.9K.

Riding the new GT is something I must do prior to my next purchase and that too is a few months away.

Re the the GSA it will take all the seats from the 1200GS so you can fit the extra low one wich I think is 820mm about 3 inchs lower than the lowest on the standard GSA seat, Hope this helps.

Gregory,

I got $11,550 for my GT in trade with 18,413 miles which I thought was pretty fair in comparison with other listing and sales prices I found around. They had to do the 18K service and put on a new front tire and they listed it for $12,495. It sold within 2 weeks of when they listed it. I stripped all accessories off it and sold them all within days on the ibmwr.org marketplace. I made up enough in accessory sales to cover the tank bag and trunk I purchased for the RT.

Good luck with the employement thing.

Man O Man....what is it with you guys trading bikes in every year and getting a new one huh? Don't ya know that these here bikes are supposed to go 100 K miles an then some. You must have more money than sense. I can't believe your even considering it being out of a job and all, why fellers like you are the reason BMW can keep raising up the price of them there bikes an all cause they know your just gonna plunk down sum more money in a few months so they can charge what ever they wants, it just hurts the little guys when ya go an do that.

Man O Man....what is it with you guys trading bikes in every year and getting a new one huh? Don't ya know that these here bikes are supposed to go 100 K miles an then some. You must have more money than sense. I can't believe your even considering it being out of a job and all, why fellers like you are the reason BMW can keep raising up the price of them there bikes an all cause they know your just gonna plunk down sum more money in a few months so they can charge what ever they wants, it just hurts the little guys when ya go an do that.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hint: Pot, Kettle, Black

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Steve, I'd be happy with your throw aways thumbsup.gif

Archived