IGNORED

R1200ST Oil Change

MarshMan

Can someone direct me to a post describing changing the oil/filter on a R1200ST? I just did mine the other day and I have to say it wasn't quite as straightforward as I was expecting. Note that I do not have a shop manual.

1) Oil is drained by removing the filter, which I did with a motobins filter attachment (worked great, btw). I could not find a drain plug.

2) It says the oil capacity is 4.2 liters with a filter change (less without). Although if you've removed the filter to drain the oil I presume you would replace it as well?

3) I had to turn the motor over to get any significant amount of oil to drain.

4) There is a little pressure washer that came with the new filter that I could not fit anywhere. Left it off.

5) Very difficult to judge whether the amount of oil I was putting in was correct. Initially I just assumed I would be adding around 4.2 liters which is the stated capacity. That turned out to be way too much, although to get a reading in the glass I had to run the motor briefly and let the oil settle. Once I realized that glass was completely full I had to partially unscrew the filter to let some oil out, then repeat the process. Very messy. I think I ended up putting in maybe 3.25 liters.

I think there must be a better way..... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I have never crawled under an R1200ST but I'm pretty sure there is a drain plug under there. It takes a hex wrench, probably 8mm, go look again as you have not drained your oil enough by just removing the filter. The plug sits nearly flush with the crankcase and thus may be a little hard to spot. It should be the only thing under there with that size fastner.

ShovelStrokeEd

It is not tiny at all. The diameter is about 7/8" with a hex socket inside it. Sits proud of the rest of the crankcase by only 1/4 " or so. The sealing washer you received goes over the threads on this plug. I don't have a hex head nearby but, on my oilheads it is located just to the rear of the oil filter and slightly offset, I think, to the right side of the bike. Your owner's manual might give you a hint.

I just looked at a R1200ST we have in the showroom. Just as Ed says. In the very center of the sump (the very bottom of the engine) is the drain plug. I'm sure the standard procedure would be to drain the oil FIRST by removing the drain plug and then remove the filter. This way very little oil would come out at the filter.

Archived