IGNORED

Tire wear

k12Marine

When I'm staying close to home, just commuting and Sunday rides, I ride the tires until the wear bars (sometimes only one) start showing. When I plan to go on a trip, I make SURE, with a lot of reserve, that the tires will make the whole trip. This may mean that I take off a half worn tire, and I may remount it when convenient. It is nice that now I have two rear wheels, so before a long excursion (Gunnison?) I mount the wheel with a new tire, and when that wears out I just swap it back.

Here's a cross section of a Metz Z-4 with barely 2K miles on it. About 1cm total of rubber/thick is what makes up the tread/tire

(This particular picture shows a patch plug installed)

Techtireplugpatchpictures005.jpg

Old trick

Use "Lincoln's" head.

Put a penny into the tread...If youcan still see Lincoln's head your tread depth is too thin and time to replace the tire. .01 smirk.gif

Here's a cross section of a Metz Z-4 with barely 2K miles on it. About 1cm total of rubber/thick is what makes up the tread/tire

It's worrying just how little rubber there is between the bottom of the tread groove to the right of the plug and the steel bands eek.gif

Makes you think hard about squeezing the last little bit out of the tyre.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

It's worrying just how little rubber there is between the bottom of the tread groove to the right of the plug and the steel bands eek.gif

Makes you think hard about squeezing the last little bit out of the tyre.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Exactly...

I'll watch the bars and the miles. Tires, for me, wear out right around 4200 miles for the rear and 5800 for the front. My wear out mileage has been very consistent for the Avons on Texas roads, on a GT, with me as pilot.

I will always err on retiring a tire early in it life cycle. Tires are inexpensive, --my body parts are not.

Archived