IGNORED

Luggage rack and topcase for '98 R1100R

mikeR1100R

I am currently doing some online research in an attempt to find a luggage rack and a topcase with brakelight for my '98 R1100R. I am not encouraged by the results so far. One company told me that they are only making products for "late-model" bikes. I didn't consider a 1998 BMW a "vintage" motorcycle! Any assistance, advice etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

ShovelStrokeEd

I did a little hunting over at the Twistedthrottle.com site and could only come up with something for the R1150R not the R1100R. It is from Givi and requires that you have the BMW side case mounts installed. BMW not Givi. Not sure the difference between the two bikes but I can't imagine that you couldn't easily adapt.

I have a Givi Wing Rack installed on my '01 Honda Blackbird and found that the E360 case gives me a nice 40 liter capacity back there and no aerodynamic penalty at speeds up to what borders on ridiculous. I am strongly considering getting a tail rack for my R1100S to allow the use of this quite versitle trunk on that bike as well.

Your bike is a relativly low volume machine, and I would think that, rather than the age is the reason there are so few options available.

GIVI monorack F635 will let you mount any of the GIVI topcases with a brake light. I had one on my R1100R and it worked great. Problem is they are no longer importing it. If you can't find it used, look in Europe. It still shows up on both the italian and UK GIVI websites.

I built mine after seeing a couple at a rally. I am told they were built by a now out of business company in Salt Lake City.

The first one is on an older bike and maybe a copy.

The second picture is on a R1100R and has a J.C. Whitney top case on it.

8112230-M.jpg

8112231-M.jpg

This is my first prototype, little rough looking I know but I have about $5 in it. Have level it since that picture. I can lean on it with most of my weight and can almost lift the rear of the bike with it.

I now have a Givi top case on it, the Givi has a mounting plate that bolts to the rack and the case locks onto that, push a button, it releases and I walk off with it.

8116960-M.jpg

I know it is a K not an R but on my old K1100 I bought a top box off E-Bay with indicators and LED brake light and colour matched it to my bike.

8653804.56d74c.jpg

I've sold the bike now and have the BMW without brake light on my RT

I built mine after seeing a couple at a rally. I am told they were built by a now out of business company in Salt Lake City.

The first one is on an older bike and maybe a copy.

The second picture is on a R1100R and has a J.C. Whitney top case on it.

This is my first prototype, little rough looking I know but I have about $5 in it. Have level it since that picture. I can lean on it with most of my weight and can almost lift the rear of the bike with it.

I now have a Givi top case on it, the Givi has a mounting plate that bolts to the rack and the case locks onto that, push a button, it releases and I walk off with it.

The comany that used to make those racks was Reynolds. They made good stuff for airheads and K bikes too. Ride off center stands, luggage racks, passenger backrests etc

• 2 weeks later...

Archived