IGNORED

Brake Bleeding Tool Question

John in NC

Has anyone here done the circuit bleeds without using the MiniStan? $60 just seems too much for a plastic funnel and brake cap. Does the circuit pump fluid out too fast to fill manually instead of from the funnel? Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Has anyone here done the circuit bleeds without using the MiniStan? $60 just seems too much for a plastic funnel and brake cap. Does the circuit pump fluid out too fast to fill manually instead of from the funnel? Thanks in advance for all your responses.

I made my funnel based on: abs3_filling_adapter.pdf (sorry, I tried uploading this file, but the system won't take a pdf file - Google it)

I recommend using some sort of funnel.

Good luck,

Bill Allen

The rate the wheel circuit pumps fluid out is dependent upon how hard you squeeze the lever/pedal during the process. With a gentle squeeze (recommended) the rate is quite slow.

Still, the funnel insures you don't accidentally pump air into the system. A big no-no.

Sure it's $60, and you can build your own. But the topper is around $46 from BMW so $60 for a pre-built one is quite reasonable. Especially given you are going to save its cost 2X or 3X on your very first bleed job over paying a dealer to do it.

Besides it's fun! So my suggestion - Pony up the $$.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Sure it's $60, and you can build your own. But the topper is around $46 from BMW...

What is the "topper?"

Sure it's $60, and you can build your own. But the topper is around $46 from BMW...

What is the "topper?"

The topper is the stock cover for the master cylinder resevoir. You will receive 2 of them connected by the vent hoses and a Y connector. You can make one for your self and sell another (or give it away) wink.gif Drill a hole through one of them to fit a small funnel (I used a Coleman lantern fill funnel) and epoxy the funnel in place. Works great thumbsup.gif

What is the "topper?"

The topper is the stock cover for the master cylinder resevoir. You will receive 2 of them connected by the vent hoses and a Y connector. You can make one for your self and sell another (or give it away) wink.gif Drill a hole through one of them to fit a small funnel (I used a Coleman lantern fill funnel) and epoxy the funnel in place. Works great thumbsup.gif

Neither point is true (in my case). The "topper" comes as a single and cost me $24.19+T. The part number I purchased is 90 88 6 342 541 (for 2002 and older). I understand the PN for 2003 and newer models is 34 51 7 677 998. I got the funnel from McMaster for $3.79+ shipping.

Bill

Neither point is true (in my case). The "topper" comes as a single and cost me $24.19+T. The part number I purchased is 90 88 6 342 541 (for 2002 and older). I understand the PN for 2003 and newer models is 34 51 7 677 998. I got the funnel from McMaster for $3.79+ shipping.

Bill, the 90 88 6 342 541 part only works for 2002 and early 2003 models. The 34 51 7 677 998 part works on all model years.

Bill, the 90 88 6 342 541 part only works for 2002 and early 2003 models. The 34 51 7 677 998 part works on all model years.

Have to agree with Steve on this one. See part #5 on this page - ABS

The 998 part is the entire hose ass'y with two covers/toppers.

Right.

The single worked on mine (2002), although I understand the original poster has a 2004. If the topper is indeed $46, then the premade gizmo sounds like the right direction to go.

Bill

Have to agree with Steve on this one. See part #5 on this page - ABS

The 998 part is the entire hose ass'y with two covers/toppers.

Archived