IGNORED

2014 RT Dealer Fisrt Supply Configuration

Moto-maineiac

Moto-maineiac

Just heard from my dealer. He received notification today that his first shipment of the new RTs will be loaded and equipped as follows - US pricing should follow within the next few weeks:

Base Model Equipment +

Touring Package, which consists of the following:

- Dynamic ESA

- GPS Preparation

- Heated Seats

- Cruise Control

Dynamic Package, which consists of the following:

- Hill Start Control

- Headlight Pro

- Ride Modes Pro

Comfort Package, which consists of the following:

- Central Locking

- Anti Theft Alarm

- Chrome exhaust

- TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor)

- Dual accessory sockets

Luxury Package, which consists of the following:

- Bluetooth Interface Control

- Gear shift Assistant Pro

- Audio System

- Radio Software

He Indicated he should see the new RT allocations in February, at that point he would give me an idea of when the bikes will arrive.

From the press release:

Dynamic front headlight assembly comprising a main low-beam headlight and two high-beam headlights as standard, plus LED Corona Rings as an option.

P90137685-bmw-r-1200-rt-11-2013-293px.jpg

The front headlight assembly on the new R 1200 RT lends the machine a distinctly dynamic appearance. The main headlight unit in the center is flanked by two high-beam headlights on the left and right, resulting in outstanding illumination of the road ahead. If it should ever be necessary to lower the headlight beam despite adjustment of the suspension – when the bike is heavily laden for instance – this can easily be done with the help of a handy knob on the bottom of the unit.

The optional Headlight Pro, featuring Corona Ring lighting, illuminates with the brightness of sidelights.

LED technology is already used as standard for the rear light as well as the front and rear turn indicators, combining with the clear white lenses to give these details of the R 1200 RT a high-tech, sophisticated and dynamic look. The indirect LED lighting that is fitted instead of individual diodes with direct light output is the only type of its kind in the motorcycle industry.

I'm not sure what that means. It sounds like the LED "whites" of the "owl eyes". I've assumed that was a standard part of the headlight assembly. I've seen the similar 1600 lights in approaching traffic; it did not seem very conspicuous.

Moto-maineiac
Now to decide on the color.

I'm thinking I will go with the Calisto Grey which apparently is a matte finish. It should look sharp.

Grey, grey or black. Not much of a choice and not really colors. Piedmont red would be nice or a midnight blue.

I had the 06 model in Piedmont red, a nice color. I also think the new Quartz blue is attractive. I have access to a great paint shop I've used in the past, I've toyed with the idea of having the Aston Martin orange applied.

Grey, grey or black. Not much of a choice and not really colors. Piedmont red would be nice or a midnight blue.

I had the 06 model in Piedmont red, a nice color. I also think the new Quartz blue is attractive. I have access to a great paint shop I've used in the past, I've toyed with the idea of having the Aston Martin orange applied.

I like Blue Flame Metallic from Ford.

I'm thinking I will go with the Calisto Grey which apparently is a matte finish. It should look sharp.

Matte finish sucks to take care of,, Just say-n
Moto-maineiac

Do you have, or have you have you owed, a vehicle with matte finish?

My brother's GS is matte finish. While it's not rocket science, it's not as easy to polish to as new looks as, say, my RT.

Just do a quick search on the net,,Here is one link https://www.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/Matte_Paint_Care.pdf Or go on the HD forms and look up denim black paint care,, I have a lot of friends with Denim black HDs and get to lisen to how much of a pain in the ass they are to clean,,

Done deal; I put my deposit down today. I'm #5 in the queue at Max BMW.

Now the waiting begins...

I'm 1st in line at Herwaldt Motorsports in Fresno, CA. They've had my deposit since early November. I hate waiting…...

Moto-maineiac

Just do a quick search on the net,,Here is one link https://www.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/Matte_Paint_Care.pdf Or go on the HD forms and look up denim black paint care,, I have a lot of friends with Denim black HDs and get to lisen to how much of a pain in the ass they are to clean,,

Thanks, I did see the Hyundai article and have been following the matte topic since BMW rolled it out on their autos a few years back. I agree it will require a different approach to keeping clean and caring for the paint finish, but I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to my vehicles. I'll report back in a year and let you know what I think :-)

For what it's worth, I have the ostra Grey matte finish and have found it the easiest bike to keep looking decent. As someone who hates to clean I think it works well at keeping the dirt at bay. Certainly, you don't `polish` this color so, you have to keep that in mind.

Done deal; I put my deposit down today. I'm #5 in the queue at Max BMW.

Now the waiting begins...

I'm #7 in line at my dealer due to my trusty 100,000+ mile 2006 model being taken out by an errant mini-van driver.

AD

How about 'Boston green'??? Wouldn't that be a nice old/new color?

'

Nope, hope they don't do that. ;) FB may just go and raise the annual dues round here. :grin:

Pat

AdirondackJack

Just a quick heads up Guys:

Saw and sat on the new RT in NYC at the Javits show. Color was Ebony Metallic which was absolutely breathtaking. Definitely not black! IT was a dark reddish brown metallic that looked great in the lights. Kind of like a candy apple color. Definitely the color to get. Not boring, the way we have all gotten accustomed to Motorrad trying to force down our throats: grey, grey, grey, or grey.

Dave R.

lowflyer2000

Has anyone heard "rumours" of when the various magazines are / will start testing the new RT in order to report the findings to the readers???

I remember the 1600 series was tested in South Africa but don't know if that is the "preferred" location.

Has anyone heard "rumours" of when the various magazines are / will start testing the new RT in order to report the findings to the readers???

I remember the 1600 series was tested in South Africa but don't know if that is the "preferred" location.

They should have tested it in Arizona in the summer, before it was ever released. They would have found out about the water pump problems a lot sooner. ;)

South Africa is a popular location for European vehicle manufacturers to test as they have legislation permitting approved test vehicles to travel at any speed without censure. They also have a large range of road conditions and temperature variation.

Andy.

South Africa is a popular location for European vehicle manufacturers to test as they have legislation permitting approved test vehicles to travel at any speed without censure. They also have a large range of road conditions and temperature variation.

Andy.

And every k1600 sold in AZ before June of 2012 had at least one water pump replaced. How many failed in SA?

Guest Kakugo

I think you are all rushing on this color thing. The bike will be in production in this form for at least 4 model years, more if you consider BMW usually upgrades the engine after a while (R1100/1150, Camhead/Hexhead etc) instead of just flat out designing a brand new one.

Rest assured each year will see new color schemes introduced. Waiting not only means more chances of seeing a color you may like, but also the bike will become more and more refined.

Also consider a large majority (of which I am part) prefers touring bikes in sober German sedan colors, basically meaning silver and black...

I think you are all rushing on this color thing. The bike will be in production in this form for at least 4 model years, more if you consider BMW usually upgrades the engine after a while (R1100/1150, Camhead/Hexhead etc) instead of just flat out designing a brand new one.

Rest assured each year will see new color schemes introduced. Waiting not only means more chances of seeing a color you may like, but also the bike will become more and more refined.

Also consider a large majority (of which I am part) prefers touring bikes in sober German sedan colors, basically meaning silver and black...

Sobriety is overrated.

Sobriety is overrated.

So tell me, is there anything positive you have to say about this bike?

Sobriety is overrated.

So tell me, is there anything positive you have to say about this bike?

I was responding to his comment about sober german sedan colors. Sorry if I am speaking ill in church.

Talked to my dealer yesterday. Told him the Canadian prices had been out for a while. Sure enough he opened the site and there were the prices. Very confusing however on packages and pricing. He also checked the UK site and their prices were up. Between the two he came up with some approximate pricing for US bikes but only ball part. Said Canadian biles were usually 3K more than US bikes. Amazing BMWNA is holding out on the pricing.

Amazing BMWNA is holding out on the pricing.

I'm thinking the same thing and getting a little concerned that BMW's comment indicating the bike will be more expensive is going to be more than even they were expecting it to be. Very odd prices are out in Canada and the UK and not here.

They are different companies. BMWNA beats to a totally different drummer than the rest of the world. My dealer heard the pricing wasn't going to be significantly different. I am sure the parent company sets pricing. If so it should follow historical trends between the different markets. At least I hope or it will be a no deal for me.

Hope this is wrong pricing in USA ($24k):

HERE

Based on that link, the price is only $3k less than a K1600GTL. If that price is correct, my next sport tourer might be a Triumph Trophy.

Interesting that the'd have a price on their website. I was at the DC Motorcycle Show just today and saw the new RT at the BMW display. They (as in BMW -- the guys in New Jersey), have not yet announced US pricing. In Canada, the base price of the new RT was made available weeks ago. That base price is pretty much the same as the outgoing '13 Camhead model. That said, I have no idea how the options packages compare.

I've been toying with the BMW website. A fully loaded RT-LC (meaning every optional minus the radio) is 20480€, or exactly 800€ more than a similarly equipped Camhead. However it also includes alarm (which was a 230€ option on the Camhead) and central locking (unavailable on the previous model). All in all it's not bad value, my only doubt being the alarm is included in the Comfort Package and I'd really like to away with the thing as it's just so much dead weight and drain on the battery.

I wonder if it will possible to remove the thing... but by the time I'll be ready to buy (if ever) I am sure it will be known.

Failing everything else the new GSA-LC looks promising... ;)

That price doesn't indicate whether it's fully loaded or a base price. If it's base, that's gonna be a problem. In my opinion.

HERE

That price doesn't indicate whether it's fully loaded or a base price. If it's base, that's gonna be a problem. In my opinion.

There's absolutely no way that that would be the base price. The base price in Canada, announced weeks ago, is $20,850 CDN.

There's absolutely no way that that would be the base price. The base price in Canada, announced weeks ago, is $20,850 CDN.

I've never seen a BMW dealer sell a base bike.

It happens, but you would have to order the bike many months in advance and have it built to your "specs".

My 2011 was a base model directly off the floor. Did not want a radio or ESA.

My 2011 was a base model directly off the floor. Did not want a radio or ESA.

First I've heard of it.

It happens, but you would have to order the bike many months in advance and have it built to your "specs".

Too bad they don't give us choice of any color.

Too bad they don't give us choice of any color.

You get three

GRAY blue

GRAY light

GRAY dark

The designers must have channeled Henry Ford.

The designers must have channeled Henry Ford.

Any color you like so long as it's Ebony Metallic. ;) Nice, but I'm thinking that the Quartz Blue Metallic may be THE color when seen in person.

2014-BMW-R-1200-RT-IMS.jpg

Pat

Archived