IGNORED

Auxiliary rear lights for 12RT, any recommendations?

eruff

I've added Motolights to the front, but am clueless as to what lights I should consider adding to the rear of an '05 12RT. One of the things that is hardest to guard against is being rear-ended by a cage, and I'm not sure the skill of the motorcyclist is much of a factor. Thought maybes some extra lights on the back might help. But which one(s)?

-Eric

I just added 32 LED hyper lites from Cycle Gadgets that cost around $79.00..Takes 15 minutes to install and works great! A real attention getter thumbsup.gif

I have the Brake! LED replacement in my GS from Homebody Design and it is certainly bright and certainly gets attention. For added lights I thought this license plate bracket with two lower LED lights looks interesting. If you have this mounted you would have two LED strips mounted low and wide and the stock brake light up high in the center giving the familiar 3-point triangle of light that is very familiar to other drivers. That said I have no idea how or if this could be tied into the R12 CANBUS system.

http://xtrasrally.com/soma.htm

Let us know if you buy and install one of these.

John

I've added Motolights to the front, but am clueless as to what lights I should consider adding to the rear of an '05 12RT. One of the things that is hardest to guard against is being rear-ended by a cage, and I'm not sure the skill of the motorcyclist is much of a factor. Thought maybes some extra lights on the back might help. But which one(s)?

Eric,

I added the dual function Hyperlites . I've had them on my last 5 bikes now. They are a real attention getter. They are offered in a couple different configurations for the RT. I got the 16 LED (per side) "dual function" lites, which means they function as additional parking lights as well as extra bright flashing brake lights. For a few more dollars, I like the idea of a little additional full time light to the rear. When you receive them you can make a choice of 5 flashes then stay on bright, or continuous flashing as long as you're touching a brake lever. I had mine installed and working in under 15 minutes. The kit is super and requires no wire cutting. I put up some pictures of my accessory wiring on my website , but haven't put up pics of the Hyperlight install yet. It's so easy, that it hardly seems worth it. But, if you get a set and have any questions, let me know if I can help. For the "switched 12vdc" power source for the Hyperlights, I tapped the green wire on the 6 wire diagnostic plug in the rear behind the passenger seat.

I have the Brake! LED replacement in my GS from Homebody Design

I just installed one of these on my buddies GS..

I have a call into to see if they have it for the RT.

This is by far the brightest taillight I have seen... Its almost annoying because its so bright...

It also has built in flash patterns that can be adjusted. Its equipped for ABS and non ABS.

I think they run about 129 dollars though

I use the Hyperlights as well and they were easy to install. It's a worth while addition. I also have the black refelectors on the rear of the bags.

I put the 8 LED per side along the side of my rear plate that run as running lights till I hit the brakes and then they flash. Also so I could have amber running lights like on my previous R1100RS, I installed a set of 4 LED per side INSIDE the rear turn signals and then hooked them up to the TPS 15 relay fuse box that is wired into the rear Aux. socket. This way when I am on the side of the road and turn off the ignition, I have amber running/hazzerd lights to the rear for 1 minute. thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Thanks everyone for the information. I don't think Brake! is available for the 12RT, but Hyperlights is compatible, so I think that will be the direction for me.

Don, I thank you for your offer of help with the install; I look forward to any help you can give. I admit to being intimidated by the expertise of the some of the folks on this forum. What is simple for them is not for me. I have some skills, but electrical work and mechanics are not on that short list.

The phrase

“For the "switched 12vdc" power source for the Hyperlights, I tapped the green wire on the 6 wire diagnostic plug in the rear behind the passenger seat.”

causes me heart palpitations. Yeah, the 6 wire diagnostic plug in…. Yeah. confused.gif I can hear the dealer saying, “…. And of course by wiring this as you did sir, you not only ruined the entire (fill in the blank) subsystem of this bike, but you also, need we add, voided the warranty forever. What were you thinking? You don’t do this sort of thing often, do you?

In spite of that I am willing to give it a try. I will send you a PM when the lights arrive.

-Eric

Just to let you know when I connected to the green wire on the diagnostic plug at the back of the bike while installing my motolights I found that the motolights would not go off after I turned the switch off no matter how long I waited..

Just to let you know when I connected to the green wire on the diagnostic plug at the back of the bike while installing my motolights I found that the motolights would not go off after I turned the switch off no matter how long I waited..

I'm not sure why that is Billy. I'm tapped into it and they shut off immediately. No delay whatsoever. And I've read several other posts here of people using that wire without any issues.

Thanks everyone for the information. I don't think Brake! is available for the 12RT, but Hyperlights is compatible, so I think that will be the direction for me.

Don, I thank you for your offer of help with the install; I look forward to any help you can give. I admit to being intimidated by the expertise of the some of the folks on this forum. What is simple for them is not for me. I have some skills, but electrical work and mechanics are not on that short list.

The phrase

“For the "switched 12vdc" power source for the Hyperlights, I tapped the green wire on the 6 wire diagnostic plug in the rear behind the passenger seat.”

causes me heart palpitations. Yeah, the 6 wire diagnostic plug in…. Yeah. confused.gif I can hear the dealer saying, “…. And of course by wiring this as you did sir, you not only ruined the entire (fill in the blank) subsystem of this bike, but you also, need we add, voided the warranty forever. What were you thinking? You don’t do this sort of thing often, do you?

In spite of that I am willing to give it a try. I will send you a PM when the lights arrive.

-Eric

Eric,

I talked with the service manager at the dealership where I bought mine. And they assured me it wasn't a problem.

Keep in mind, you're not taking power off the green wire mentioned, you're using it as a "monitor" to tell the Hyperlites (which already get their power from the existing lights) when the bike is on. But maybe it would give you a higher comfort factor by calling your dealer and talking to your service manager and running this by them 1st.

Let me know when you get them and I'll gladly help. I could even give you a call if you want.

Eric,

One more thing I'll mention. The Hyperlights need to install on something facing 90 degrees from behind the bike. The directions suggest sticking them on the reflectors on the rear fender. For another $7.95 or so, Ron sells a bracket you put under your license plate which gives you a mounting surface on either side of you plate. I have a Helmet Guardian helmet lock from my old bike which give me a similar surface (my old K1200GT is a poster child on the Hyperlights sight for this mounting), so I didn't use the bracket, but my buddy bought the bracket for his as he didn't want to cover any of the reflector with the light unit. Just wanted to throw that out. Not sure if you've already ordered or not.

Thanks. I ordered the Hyperlights this morning, 2 modules of 16 LED'S, dual function. When you say "Ron" do you mean someone who owns or works at Cycle Gadgets? If so I'll call back in the morning regarding the bracket. Since these lights are "dual purpose" that means they will be on, at least in "parking lights" mode all the time doesn't it? If that's so, I wonder if I am giving up much by covering red reflectors with red LEDs that are turned on. If I'm not giving up much, all other things being equal, am I better off having the Hyperlights mounted higher up for visibility or lower from more "triangle" effect?

-Erc

They look intriguing. Might be a nice thing for a top case if you could rig up an easy disconnect when you take it off. If you buy these, maybe you could do a photo install for us.

-Eric

Thanks. I ordered the Hyperlights this morning, 2 modules of 16 LED'S, dual function. When you say "Ron" do you mean someone who owns or works at Cycle Gadgets? If so I'll call back in the morning regarding the bracket. Since these lights are "dual purpose" that means they will be on, at least in "parking lights" mode all the time doesn't it? If that's so, I wonder if I am giving up much by covering red reflectors with red LEDs that are turned on. If I'm not giving up much, all other things being equal, am I better off having the Hyperlights mounted higher up for visibility or lower from more "triangle" effect?

-Erc

Hi Eric,

When I mentioned Ron, I meant Ron Watkins (the owner of Hyperlites)... incorrectly assuming you were buying them direct. I think it's be fine to mount on the reflectors. I think you'll loose about 1/3 the width of the reflector. The height and placement would be about the same.

I installed them last weekend and I tried to tap the red wire on the diagnostic plug. Needless to say the lites were on all the time and I corrected it by tapping the power wire on the rear aux power outlet. While removing the tap I tried them without this and voila, they worked fine wihtout that tap, go figure. That is how they are now , dual function in full blinking mode on brake light.

Fastened them to reflector and added reflectice tape to outside of LED light.

Had them on previous bike and was very p;eased, as I am now.

Eric,

The Brake! will be out withing a couple of weeks..

The nice thing about it is its plug and play.....

Whilethe other LEDS are simple to hook these are nestled in the brake light house and plug into the rear light.....

You should view the BRAKE!leds in person and see how bright they are.

Archived