Visability of 3M Hi Vis safety gear (although not designed for riders)

g_frey

3M company sells safety gear. They have several jackets that are waterproof, hi vis yellow, and have some of the best reflective material around. They are too hot for warm weather riding but great for colder weather. They make most/all hi vis motorcycle jackets look dull in comparison. They call it VEA for Visibility Enhanced Apparel. You really need this stuff if you ride in cool weather. Mine has the hood in the collar and the large reflective "X" on the back. The hood stops all the down the neck rain that I previously got and fits under my helmet. I bought it two sizes too large so that it will fit over a goose down jacket and a Joe Rocket Ballistic 4 motorcycle jacket. I have had it for 2 years now and in that time I have had NO ONE make a left turn in front of me while wearing the jacket. That is a first for me ever in 20,000 miles of riding. Plus it really cuts the wind well. Additionally riding through Saint Louis rush hour is less stressful than before. People give me more room and don't tailgate as close I believe. I have not heard the dreaded screeching tires before the hit since I started using this jacket. I highly recommend this jacket. I ride up to about 200 miles with no problem in temperatures down to about 28 degrees with this setup and chaps and rain pants on the bottom.

Bright yes. But this isn't motorcycle gear per se. It has no armor or padding. You may or may not be seen in this, but if you go down you have no protection. And being that the outer layer is probably some sort of polyester, it may melt right into your skin in a slide.

Doug

I absolutely agree about the benefits of Hi-visibility clothing.

I have a Havarsson Safetly system jacket system.

I have a safetly liner and then four over jackets, (two black and two yellow hi-vis)each in summer and wet weather versions.

I definitely find that wearing the hi visibility gear makes a huge difference to how other drivers respond and when.

I also use the warmnsafe heater=d liners so don't have any problems with keeping warm...

Ridden in fog and comfortable when it is a cool fog. Again coolness is the key, but I use them whenever possible and even suffer the heat sometimes when going through big cities due to the safety factor.

Yes I have ridden it in high humidity with it fully unzipped. It was not fun at all and eventually you pretty much have to take it off or drink a LOT of fluids. I use it unzipped when this high heat and or humidity comes around mostly in the big cities.

I've tried two non motorcycle specific jackets over the years. Worked well except I had to have protective gear underneath and both flapped in the wind at certain speeds. Most non MC clothing either flaps or doesn't fit/protect in the riding position. Water pools in your crotch or down your butt crack.

I wear Aerostich now. One jacket instead of many and high viz.

They don't give them away however.

Red

I've tried two non motorcycle specific jackets over the years. Worked well except I had to have protective gear underneath and both flapped in the wind at certain speeds. Most non MC clothing either flaps or doesn't fit/protect in the riding position. Water pools in your crotch or down your butt crack.

I wear Aerostich now. One jacket instead of many and high viz.

They don't give them away however.

Red

But you only have to buy them once. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

The 3M jacket is stiffer fabric and flaps are not annoying usually. This is THE MOST protective rain gear I have ever had. I would love an Aerostich and some day I may have one but I am getting older and have even considered giving up riding soon, so, probably not. While I have not used an Aerostich I have seen them used and NONE of them has the blow your eyeballs off visibility of a 3M safety rainjacket.

• 3 weeks later...

Good question.

The items noted have a polyurethane barrier and that stuff doesn't breathe.

Like the reflectivity though- bike gear designs are typically weaker at reflectivity. Have yet to find a 3 season high viz, high reflectivity, breathable jacket to suit my taste though makers have been playing in that arena for 5 years or more by now. Ideally it would be built from one of the newer laminates.

Archived