IGNORED

2014 North Meets South in the Middle= Apr 25-27

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I'm glad you are all reserving now so that you won't be caught out in the cold. In case someone missed the announcement. Dates: arriving April Friday 25th departing the 27th. Show up early Friday for Dual Sport ride.

Call Comfort Inn in Oakhurst at (559)683-8282 and tell them you are with the BMW group for the discount and it includes breakfast.

Thanks for making that change because of Passover, Joe. I know that's the real reason so many wanted to have it changed. Two rooms booked at Comfort Inn (expect Craig Carter, Tim Morgan, and maybe one other coming along). Two years ago when I went with Tommy we met some folks in Lancaster Friday morning, and then several others all along the way up to Coarsegold. Anyone plan to do the same for this ride?

Room booked. Booked for Thursday night as well so I am there Friday morning for the dual sport ride.

Will see what Gary has planned.

Will be another fun weekend!

Cheers,

Jason

CoarsegoldKid
Thanks for making that change because of Passover, Joe. I know that's the real reason so many wanted to have it changed. Two rooms booked at Comfort Inn (expect Craig Carter, Tim Morgan, and maybe one other coming along). Two years ago when I went with Tommy we met some folks in Lancaster Friday morning, and then several others all along the way up to Coarsegold. Anyone plan to do the same for this ride?

I believe the Usual Suspects, Mr. Duck's conga line, will be doing either the same or some slight options that you did two years ago. Space yourselves. Your cheek muscles will get sore. Either way the sides of your tires will be well used.

In. I had to grovel and perform some other unmentionable acts.

There is bar adjacent to the Inn, and not having to leave the premises or pay extra for breakfast is a real plus. Todd's Cookhouse bar b q is a 7min walk or 31 sec ride away.

Howard, Mr Duck posted the routes in this thread. Take a look in previous posts. Great route from the 'high desert' up to Oakhurst. Not to be missed!

Comfort Inn shouldn't have any mice so you 'n the boys will feel comfy... and secure! :rofl:

CoarsegoldKid
In. I had to grovel and perform some other unmentionable acts.

There is bar adjacent to the Inn, and not having to leave the premises or pay extra for breakfast is a real plus. Todd's Cookhouse bar b q is a 7min walk or 31 sec ride away.

I knew you could do it John.

I took Don's Google Maps routes and made GPX files from them. Downloading from Google and importing to BaseCamp, I got a bunch of waypoints and a bunch of tracks for each of the two parts of the route. I tried merging the tracks, but it was really hard to get them in the right order, and given the way GPSs like to recalculate (and different map sets for different folks), I decided to recreate the routes using the waypoints. I had to add a couple of waypoints here and there to force BaseCamp to come up with the same route Google had. Have a look and see what you think. I believe that each GPX file contains all the waypoints and tracks from Google, plus the waypoints I created and one, single route. Here they are (hosted in my public Dropbox folder):

Tehachapi to Porterville

Porterville to Oakhurst

CoarsegoldKid

Doesn't anyone have tracks from last year? I could probably just make it up- like the sign language guy in S. Africa which was a modified macarina dance.

CoarsegoldKid

It's a Garmin file so down load to a folder and import to Basecamp and then open it in Basecamp. If that fails then I have no idea what's going on. Just follow Mr. Duck.

...Just follow Mr. Duck.

Yup... That always works for me!

I wouldn't worry fellas... Nobody's been lost yet on one of these Friday adventures to the NmSitM events!

(although we have had an attack by a bird of prey...)

You WILL enjoy it, GPS or no!

:wave:

Now that the dust has settled and the dates are agreed on , I have reservations (at the Comfort Inn) to attend this event . I've been riding the Duc and the F-650, but the RT has been sitting since August 4, 2013 due to the broken leg….. It really does need exercise. Full service and new shocks ready to go………..

CoarsegoldKid

Good to hear you're going to make the seventh NmS event Tank.

Bob Inman told me yesterday that he is making his reservation so for those that are new he's a local and knows the roads around here very well. He'll also be joining the Friday DS ride.

Good to hear you're going to make the seventh NmS event Tank.

Bob Inman told me yesterday that he is making his reservation so for those that are new he's a local and knows the roads around here very well. He'll also be joining the Friday DS ride.

+1 regarding Tank

Hooray about Bob. We missed him last year.

Hey Bill maybe it's just my iMac but all I get from the links is hundreds of lines of computer script.

Well, let's try this again without the shortened links. Note that you WILL have to right-click or ctrl-click and choose "download linked file". I suspect you couldn't do that with the shortened links because there was no direct indication in the link that it was a link to a file. Hmm. OK, I just tried one from the "Preview Post" page, and I get a file called "Tehachapi to Porterville.GPX.txt". It'll work if you remove the .txt from the name.

Tehachapi to Porterville.gpx

Porterville to Oakhurst.gpx

Here's a link direct to my Public folder, in which the location of the files should be obvious: Bill's public dropbox.

Nope, going through from there and hitting the "Download" button on the file still gets me a .txt file. Weird. But again, I can confirm that it will work if you edit the filename to remove the .txt.

Ok, it looks like I'll be there, staying at my friends home in CoarseGold. I'm planing on staying over on Sunday & visiting the park if anyone wants to join me.

Looking forward to riding with you guys from BMWRT.com again.

Howard, Mr Duck posted the routes in this thread. Take a look in previous posts. Great route from the 'high desert' up to Oakhurst. Not to be missed!

Comfort Inn shouldn't have any mice so you 'n the boys will feel comfy... and secure! :rofl:

Are you SURE there are no mice?

Are you SURE there are no mice?

No mice, but there might be a few rats. This guy owns the motel.

CoarsegoldKid

In case anyone is now concerned about mice let me ease your fears. A few of the inmates went to a motel in Hanagan Meadows, Arizona and were chased out by mice. Nothing to do with the Comfort Inn in Oakhurst. I just thought everyone should know because last year someone inferred that I was setting the riders up in a poor motel and that untrue non-sense sadly turned some riders away. Now back to our regularly scheduled chatter.

If the 2013 turnout is any predictor of the 2014 then a lot of folks haven't reserved rooms yet. If you know of riders that don't regularly check the board you might want to inform them.

Yes, Joe is correct, the mouse reference was to our cabin at Hannagan Meadows Lodge. We were unfortunate to have the one mouse infested cabin. This has no relation to lodging in California, because, as we all know, CA has outlawed mice in motel rooms. It was sad seeing all those mice walking east on I-10 coming from CA, little suitcases or bindle sticks in their hands, heads hung low, looking dejected. Nope, you'll never find a mouse in a motel room in CA. Perverts, rapists, murderers, meth-cookers, crack heads, hookers, pimps, and drug dealers - well, if they banned all of those, no one would be showing up for the NMSITM ride. (OK, Joe, do you think that reassured them?)

whew, I'm reassured …..that i'll be surrounded by lunatics.

Should I bring Sue... or, should Sue bring me?

It Will Be GOOD to sEE you TANK!

:thumbsup:

Bring Sue. No one really wants to see you. :lurk:

I feel hurt and dejected... I'll drop Sue off and pick her up on Sunday... :cry:

I feel hurt and dejected... I'll drop Sue off and pick her up on Sunday... :cry:

:rofl: :rofl:

I move that a resolution be adopted formally requesting that Larry, also known as Lbump attend North Meets South in the Middle along with Sue for all three of the scheduled days, and that he buy a beer on said days for anyone seconding or voting in favor of the aforesaid motion.

dc

Meh! Don't pay any attention to that old curmudgeon Edd. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Sue in Oakhurst!

Is that "hurt and dejected" or "hurt and rejected" ??

:rofl:

Looking forward to seeing you both in April !!!

Is that "hurt and dejected" or "hurt and rejected" ??

:rofl:

Looking forward to seeing you both in April !!!

Larry you're always welcome to hang with the "usual suspects" :thumbsup:

As long as you don't try to set your bike on fire....

again....

Don J :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
CoarsegoldKid

No bike fires please. With the snow pack not materializing it would appear that at this time you ice riders won't have to bring your studs. So Cal riders need to add Granite Road out of Oildale to your list of roads to connect with other northerly bound things to do. Mr. Duck and The Usual Suspects sure will. Join them. Hint: don't show up with bald tires.

Agreed! Fresh tires should be a requirement for this ride. Too early to be an "in" at this point, but I'd love to drag some pegs with you guys!

CoarsegoldKid

You might still get that room reserved, Dwight. You can always cancel later. That's what the motel manager told me because of the time of year lot's of stuff happening in Oakhurst.

Archived