IGNORED

2014 North Meets South in the Middle= Apr 25-27

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Please note the revised dates are April 25,26,27

Once again it's time to get those important days marked on the calendar, plan vacation time or plan to feel ill just in time.

The gathering of the masses will commence Friday April 18.

For the uninitiated there will be a Southern California Contingent burning up the backroad pavement along the Western slope of the Sierra to reach Oakhurst. Keep your eye on this one. Your expensive tires will get a workout. Perhaps someone will do the same for a Northern Cal group. Also note that riders are most welcome from all the states even Hawaii if you can pull that off. Guests and non-BMW riders are also welcome. We have no bias do we boys and girls.

The motel hasn't been selected yet but all indications from posted rates for that weekend from several motels are around 80 dollars two double queen size beds. I'll lobby for discounts. We know what's the cheapest thing on a BMW. Last year we booked out 32 rooms at the Oakhurst Lodge and another 5-6 rooms in other motels.

There are plenty of eating establishments within walking distance. A couple within stumbling distance. The Southgate Brewery will require a longer stumble. The Starlight Taxi is also in operation.

Saturday has generally been a day of riding with a group whom over the years has developed a fondness for certain roads. Bring a map of the surrounding area and I or others can help you plan a route. Yosemite National Park is just up the road apiece. You are certainly able to pick your own destination or loop. You can't go wrong. I'll plan a Dual Sport ride suitable for big bikes on Friday. Plan your reservations accordingly as we will likely depart for the hills by 9am. If there is interest I can do the same for Saturday. I hope to see snow in the mountains this year but road and trail closures are extended if snowfall has been heavy.

If you have questions post them.

Just three questions:

Will there be live music?

Will you pick up the dinner tab?

What kind of oil should I be using for this event?

Thanks in advance.

MB>

Did someone say "not to be missed"?

Guess I'd have to agree!

I plan to be there!

Just need to wear out my tires so I can have fresh rubber... :grin:

I won't be going. I won't take my Truck to Cornelius' place and ride up with those knuckleheads. Nope, not going to happen. ;)
Hmmm might have to make this one.
CoarsegoldKid
Can't you guys move that deal a little closer to Austin? It's 1700 miles of mindless droning.

Get a trailer from U-haul. Stay awhile in the great motorcycle riding state, the State of California. MC transport can take care of the mindless droning for you.

Can't you guys move that deal a little closer to Austin? It's 1700 miles of mindless droning.

You don't have anything better to do and your wife will enjoy the break...the break away from you.

I just put the event on my calendar and hope to make it! In doing so, I noticed that it's Easter weekend, which could be a problem for some folks. Thought I should mention it.

I'll hide some colored eggs.

The first North Meets South event was also on Easter Weekend.

So , would we be looking on or off road for these eggs?

MB>

CoarsegoldKid

Ladies and Gentleman I've been overwhelmed by the Easter Bunny and many of his friends. My friends too. I hadn't realized April 18 was Easter Weekend. Duh! North Meets South isn't for me it's for you. However a lot of you have messaged me that they don't want to miss the fun but Easter is for family. At the risk of being called a flip-flopper, can't stay the course, or an infidel I must change the date for North Meets South in the interest of meeting the needs of the many. So please mark your calendars with the revised date of April 25,26,27. Besides one more week gives more time for the snow to melt. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

:thumbsup: Gonna try and make this one. Was working on it until seeing that the dates conflicted with Easter. Thanks for being flexible, although I'm sure it's gonna ruffle some feathers of people that already locked in.
:thumbsup: Gonna try and make this one. Was working on it until seeing that the dates conflicted with Easter. Thanks for being flexible, although I'm sure it's gonna ruffle some feathers of people that already locked in.

Me, too. Gonna see if I can make it. I might still have an old Greenhorn Poker Run route chart from the Pasadena MC club (circa 1998), from Flanders' parking lot to Oakhurst, that's nothing but backroads. As I recall we left Pasadena at around 7:30 and pulled into Oakhurst about 5:30 and BEAT! It included The Crest, Angeles Forest Hwy, Caliente Bodfish Road, Santa Isabella, Greenhorn Mountain toward Visalia, etc. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Nando-

Count me in if you do decide to do an ALL backroad ride up there.I'll gladly be your wingman.

Think we could include a ride through Sequoia along the way?

'Nando, Jerry, Newbies,out of State'rs, locals, locos and all the rest of you "usual suspects".....

There WILL be the infamous Friday So Cal Backroad Ride- Tehachapi to Oakhurst.....

but only if you all promise to behave!

Don J :wave:

'Nando, Jerry, Newbies,out of State'rs, locals, locos and all the rest of you "usual suspects".....

There WILL be the infamous Friday So Cal Backroad Ride- Tehachapi to Oakhurst.....

but only if you all promise to behave!

Don J :wave:

Found the old ride. It was from the Pasadena MC Club Poker Run in 2000. Roughly it follows this path.

Angeles Crest Hwy

Angeles Forest Hwy

Hwy 14

Hwy 138

90th St W

Tehachapi Willow Springs Rd

Hwy 58

Bealville Rd to Caliente Bodfish to Lake Isabella

Hwy 155 to Glennville

Mountain 109/Hwy 116, Hwy 252, Plano Rd

Hwy 65

Hwy 245

Boyd Dr.

Hwy 63

Hwy 180

Academy Ave

Hwy 168 to Millerton toward Friant

Millerton Rd

North fori Rd to Madera

Road 145

Rd 211 to North Fork

Hwy 41 to Oakhurst

I've left out a lot of the smaller transition roads, but that's what I've got from 13 years ago. Where does your ride go?

No problemo. I'll be going via Kernville from SoCal (I hear Sherman Pass has been closed permanently due to many tragic accidents).

:rofl:

We're planning on going... might carry an extra set of tires this year.

What an excellent turn of events for me. I believe I'll be attending this little party now that it is Post-Easter.

Joe... all that yoga had really made you flexible!!

CoarsegoldKid

Okay ladies and gentleman I have arranged to have a discount rate of 59.99 plus 11% tax for rooms at the Comfort Inn in Oakhurst. If you're planning to be here, or you are thinking about being here, or not sure if you can be here, or want to decide closer the date then I highly suggest you make your reservation NOW. Really. I could not get a hold on a block of rooms like I did last year. The Comfort Inn provides a real breakfast by the way not just a pastry and a banana. So I believe this a good value for us. To obtain the good rate call the motel do not make reservations online. Call them at (559)683-8282 and tell them you are with the BMW group. Cancellations can be made 24 hours from arrival date. Don't delay or you will be risking not having a room. When I spoke to the other motels they had already booked most of their rooms. So their must be something going on in Oakhurst that weekend. The Comfort Inn is very large so we are lucky to have a central base of operations.

Comfort Inn (559)683-8282 tell them you are with the BMW group for the discounted rate of 59.99+tax. Don't delay. Pass the word.

Archived