IGNORED

2014 RT Weight Gain

John Bentall

I was at the UK motorcycle show at the weekend and asked the staff manning the stand about the apparent weight gain of the 2014 RT. There is a 15kg/35lb gain on the new machine.

According to BMW UK most of this difference is probably due to the fact that the old RT weight was quoted without the side-cases and the weight of the new one is with the cases. The guy I talked to said the new one was the same or lighter to move around in the show arena.

HTH with anyone trying to make a decision.

9kg water cooling (same as the GS) plus 6kg side cases = 15kg?

Truth to be told the bike I saw at Milan carried a tag proclaiming its weight at 247kg, which was probably a typo (they really meant 274?) as it would be lighter than the both the Hexhead and Camhead.

Test ride bikes should start arriving at dealers in late March/early April: until then we can only speculate how good or bad the bike really is.

BMW's specs on their website typically indicate "wet" weight as "road ready. 90% fueled". I read road ready to mean with the saddlebags on as delivered from the factory. Until we get some journalist reports with unbiased weight figures we probably won't know for sure. That's my .02.

John's comments seem to make perfect sense.

The Hex and Cam heads were sold without panniers and topbox. SO this may account for the weight difference. However the weight for the most part is pretty irrelevant it is how easy it is to handle stationary and rolling. Looking forward to some hands on experience.

BMW's specs on their website typically indicate "wet" weight as "road ready. 90% fueled". I read road ready to mean with the saddlebags on as delivered from the factory. Until we get some journalist reports with unbiased weight figures we probably won't know for sure. That's my .02.

I absolutely agree with you but the German website relating to the current 2013 RT is very precise.

Leergewicht fahrfertig, vollgetankt 1) 259 kg

Unladen weight, fully fuelled 1) 259 kg

1) Gemäß Richtlinie 93/93/EWG mit allen Betriebsmitteln, betankt mit mindest. 90% des nutzbaren Tankvolumens. (ohne Koffer)

1) Measured accurding to standard 93/93/EWG with all fluids, tanked up to 90% (without sidecases)

Many country websites - including the UK one - omit this important point.

HTH,

John

I wonder if that's a Europe only thing. Here in the USA all RT's are sold with bags. Weight on the USA website indicates "Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 604 lbs (274 kg)"

I absolutely agree with you but the German website relating to the current 2013 RT is very precise.

1) Gemäß Richtlinie 93/93/EWG mit allen Betriebsmitteln, betankt mit mindest. 90% des nutzbaren Tankvolumens. (ohne Koffer)

1) Measured accurding to standard 93/93/EWG with all fluids, tanked up to 90% (without sidecases)

HTH,

John

Hi George,

I am tempted, but the single thing that would increase my riding pleasure most at the moment - for the type of riding that I do - is less weight.

I am going to wait for the water-cooled R. My 2005 RT should last that long :) .

Best Regards,

John

I wonder if that's a Europe only thing. Here in the USA all RT's are sold with bags. Weight on the USA website indicates "Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 604 lbs (274 kg)"

HTH,

John

Here in Europe all RTs' are sold with bags, I believe it is just the way they have measured the weight of the bike (without side case)

Archived