IGNORED

Spline failure statistics

John in NC

I'd love to see this data updated. The original survey was very well though out. Let's see it done again.

Someone else would have to start it, I'm not going to be considered impartial eek.gif

What data points to consider? Here are some ideas:

Year

Model

VIN

Miles

Was it FD or splines or both

Warranty yes/no/partial

it HAS to be your bike, we don't want to hear about how the mechanic told you there were ten others in there this week.

Well...

pete

(and I'd also like to see a flat tire/valvestem survey grin.gif )

I'd love to see this data updated. The original survey was very well though out. Let's see it done again.

Someone else would have to start it, I'm not going to be considered impartial eek.gif

What data points to consider? Here are some ideas:

Year

Model

VIN

Miles

Was it FD or splines or both

Warranty yes/no/partial

it HAS to be your bike, we don't want to hear about how the mechanic told you there were ten others in there this week.

Well...

pete

(and I'd also like to see a flat tire/valvestem survey grin.gif )

The best survey, statistically, would include VIN numbers AND negative responses, e.g. "55K miles, no spline failure, VIN xxxx). However, I'd be reluctant to list my VIN publicly; don't know what kind of mischief it could be used for (fraudulent Ebay and CycleTrader motorcycle sales ads from China or NYC, for one thing).

But if it could be done, the VIN would prevent duplicate statistical padding (intentionally or inadvertantly), and the negative (no breakdown) stats would provide a "norm" of sorts. Obviously, riders on this forum are still only a subset of the rest of the BMW rider-world. But they negatives would provide some context to the survey.

I'm all for more fact finding and less rumormongering. Nice idea! clap.gif

The best survey, statistically, would include VIN numbers AND negative responses, e.g. "55K miles, no spline failure, VIN xxxx). However, I'd be reluctant to list my VIN publicly; don't know what kind of mischief it could be used for (fraudulent Ebay and CycleTrader motorcycle sales ads from China or NYC, for one thing).

But if it could be done, the VIN would prevent duplicate statistical padding (intentionally or inadvertantly), and the negative (no breakdown) stats would provide a "norm" of sorts. Obviously, riders on this forum are still only a subset of the rest of the BMW rider-world. But they negatives would provide some context to the survey.

I'm all for more fact finding and less rumormongering. Nice idea! clap.gif

I don't think asking for negative responses would give an acurate picture. Most people who haven't had a failure are smart enough by now to stay out of this.

(then there's ol' don quixote here)

The numbers would be screwed because you'd have 30 people who reported a failure and 30 people who reported no failure and people would think that pointed to a 50% failure rate.

Don

Reading all these sad failures of splines i would be interested to know if a certain type of riding was causing them,i/e stop start heavy traffic situations or is it happening to people who ride motorways(interstate)all the time.Any ideas anyone?

Regards Del

You know what? BMW drive trains suck. Accept that fact and move on. I plan to do a spline check/replacement every 50K for as long as I own my RT. No survey and no amount of evidence will do me any good when I'm out in the middle of the desert and my bike no longer functions. That survey could conclude that 100% of BMW motorcycles have blown drive trains within the first 70K miles for all it matters, BMW is not going to make amends and you'll just get mad.

BMW drive trains suck. Accept it and move on. bncry.gif

Archived