IGNORED

Micro-start XP1 Jumpstarter

jjg3

Was looking for farkles for my DR650 on procycle.us and came across this little 'jump starter'.

It's billed as a Personal Power Supply (PPS) that can charge cell phones, laptops, and the kicker, it can jump start a car.

The actual XP1 unit is about 6x3x1 and comes in a case about the size of a late model car owner's manual case. The XP1 unit has 19V, 5V, 12V, and separate 12V jumpstart port.

Had doubts that something this small could do what it claims to do, but what the heck. It's only money. Shopped around and found a deal on amazon for the XP1 at a discount and free shipping from 'Quality Power Inc' and hit the buy button on 13 Nov. Was on the porch waiting when I came home today. Took it out of the box, read the enclosed instructions, and did a quick inventory. It comes with more little adapters (eight 19V with laptop connector and eight 5V with USB) than anyone could use, and will probably serve only to get lost, and large alligators that serve as battery jumper cables, AC and DC input cables to charge the unit.

My purpose in getting it was to see if it would really start a motorcycle. One day at work the DR had a dead battery and I ended up buying a walmart battery to get it home... couldn't push start that big thumper. So anyway, I proceed to take the DR's battery out to see what this little thing can do, right out of the box. Hooked it up with the provided big alligators according to the instructions, flipped the choke and hit the button. DR has not been started for several days and it sits in a cold but not freezing garage. Ambient is about 50f. Bike turned over a bit slower than I'm used to, but it fired up. Turned it off and fired it up again, 4 times. It works. I didn't try it on my truck just because I didn't want to mess with resetting the radio.

Instruction say it can hold a charge for 6-8 months but recommends charging at 6 months. Microstart will join the tire plug kit, compressor, and spare gas in the saddlebag. Will also make it a point to put in the trunk of the car when traveling.

Having never heard of it until I saw it on Procycle, I'm beginning to see them more and more.

Out of the shipping box:

IMAG0967-vi.jpg

Out of the factory box:

IMAG0968-vi.jpg

All the pieces parts:

IMAG0972-vi.jpg

The actual PPS:

IMAG0973-vi.jpg

It also has a built in flashlight that can be set to steady or flash:

IMAG0974-vi.jpg

This is the XP1. The XP3 is a less expensive unit that does not come with a case, and has only a 5v port for cell phone charging, the dedicated jumpstart port, and flashlight. I think the XP3 is a better deal and only got the XP1 since it was on sale.

Antigravity's website

John, you are a true life saver! :grin:

I am going to buy this thing at first occasion: brand new Odyssey or not the RT has given me enough scary moments during past big journeys because of suddenly weak/dying batteries.

This is the answer to my prayers.

Thanks again.

That video is a great selling tool. I wonder when that type of technology will become the standard primary car/truck/bike/boat/atv battery.

John, their FAC has an interesting comparison between their's which is built around the A123 LiFePO4 battery and Shorai which is the same chemistry but in a different format ... and that apparently makes a difference.

Archived