IGNORED

Hiking boots - why not???

velomoto

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of top quality water proof (Goretex) hiking boots for the purpose of hiking -BUT- I'd also like to be able to use these for riding. After searching the old posts I've found concerns that hiking boots don't provide the same (adequate?) support and protection as good riding boots. Can anyone with experience with both hiking and riding boots please comment?

Also, do most people ride with steel toe shoes? I've had lots of work related experience with steel-toe shoes but have never found any which truely were comfortable.

Thanks in advance, clap.gif

Greg

I ride with hiking boots. Mine are the ASOLO.

I bought them at SportMart for 175.00 and find them to be a great riding boot. They cover the ankle and are a lace up type. I find little difference in them `VS` a so called riding boot. The only other boots that I have that would offer more protection are my Alpine Stars SMX Boots.

I come from the day of if it feels good... do it. I say right on. I have a pair of gortex Wolverines, with Thinsalate... toasty and warm. I wear these when the temp gets below 30. Narry a worry about what the nay sayers think... On the back of my old helmet there is a sticker that reads 'DILLIGAF' My old Harley buddies got used to me just pointing at it and smiling.. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Quality hiking boots offer a lot of features that are similar to riding boots in re ankle support and protection. They fail in shin protection and, in the case of the upper end riding boots, torque protection and achilles tendon protection. Sure, they tend to be a lot more comfortable when walking than a true riding boot. Such is their design. For me, riding=riding boot, walking-walking boot. Of course, I am the recipient of the greater northeast Emelda Marcos award so my perspective might be skewed.

If you never crash, it won't be of much import. Care to bet your ability to walk on it?

"Also, do most people ride with steel toe shoes? I've had lots of work related experience with steel-toe shoes but have never found any which truely were comfortable."

Check out:

www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

I ride in a pair of steel-toe Wesco Boss, they're 13 yrs old now, just getting broken-in. Feel naked in anything less.

I vote for a top quality riding boot like Wesco, preferred by lots of motor police. I just could not afford nearly $400-450.

So I settled on my second choice. Here in the Pac NW, Danner gets rave reviews from Forest Service, timber workers, and field guys who liked them for protection on rocky terrain. I chose the mid-calf height for shin protection, which makes them a bit clunky for extended walking. Still like new after 3 years.

As for the steel toe, some claim it conducts cold.

I wear a pair of Lowa hiking boots when my destination is a hiking spot. When I tour National Parks, I might park the bike and walk 10 miles of trails. No pair of riding boots will match the comfort of hiking boots when the day includes a long walk. And if safety is the big concern, a pair of riding boots is not safe for climbing steep trails or rocky hills.

A lot of them would make for a good riding boot. The only design issues I see with some hiking boots is they frequently have a very high toe profile, which makes it difficult to get beneath the shift lever. The other thing is a personsl preference that I don't like wearing laced boots on the bike with all those little fasteners to get caught on things.

Danner makes excellent boots, they were my choice fo cold weather (like -35!) in the Marines.

pete

I also wear a pair of Danner Hiking shoes.

They cover the ankle and are waterproof.

They have done the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim twice.

I have never had a problem with shifting.

Joe Frickin' Friday
After searching the old posts I've found concerns that hiking boots don't provide the same (adequate?) support and protection as good riding boots. Can anyone with experience with both hiking and riding boots please comment?

I've ridden with both, but I don't have experience crashing with either, so what follows is only my opinion.

In terms of crash protection, footwear can be placed on a spectrum. Start at one end with flip-flops, then move to sneakers/low shoes, then to hiking boots, then to dedicated motorcycling boots. Hiking boots would be better for riding than most footwear, but as has been noted, you'll be missing a lot of shin/calf protection that you'd get from cycle boots, and while they provide ankle support during walking, they don't provide much impact protection to the ankle bones.

Hiking boots may be waterproof, but unless they're very tall and/or your rain pants don't ride up, you're probably going to end up with wet ankles in heavy rain.

I started wearing a pair of Vasque hiking boots and found that on a wet road they were like ice skates. I quickly abandoned them for regular motorcycle boots. The particular Vibram type sole had extremely poor traction on wet pavement.

I agree with Mitch here: there's a continuum of protection to consider. Sometimes I wear work boots (Chippewas similar to the Wescos linked above) and sometimes I wear armored motorcycle boots. The work boots would provide less protection in a crash, but they're better for walking. That's a compromise I'm willing to accept when I wear them.

Whether any footwear provides you with what you consider adequate protection for the ride you're about to make is up to you.

Another option on a bike with lots of storage is to change boots when you get to the trailhead.

I picked up a pair of Danner boots for a trip to Nova Scotia last fall. They aren't my primary riding boot, but are pretty good for short hops or whenever your regular boots need a "breather." Very light weight means they are packable and the Gore Tex keeps you dry if you're caught in the rain. Much better on long trips than sneakers and they can do double duty as short haul riding boots.

Of course, I am the recipient of the greater northeast Emelda Marcos award so my perspective might be skewed.
grin.gifLOL

They fail in shin protection and, in the case of the upper end riding boots, torque protection and achilles tendon protection.

This is probably true, but I am a bit of a skeptic. Having not crashed in my hiking boots, I too am fronting opinion. I would think major injuries are: ankle/foot abrasion, crushing from bike, etc, and twisting/torsion. High end riding boots probably do better in all three, but in degrees. I would think any force sufficient to twist/fracture/break an ankle would probably just be transmitted to break fibia/tibia/knee in a rigid boot.

US Army airborne school instituted an ankle brace for its students after someone figured the broken/twisted anlkes from landing could be avoided. I've never seen a corresponding study on transmitted injuries to knees, shins etc, but have seen a few of these (and had one myself) & wonder if there is any trend.

I like the Belleville's I re-sole the treads to make them thinner in the front, but still vibram no slip.

Archived