IGNORED

I got lonely this weekend so I dumped my clutch and joined the "spline club"

Dear_Leader

55,000 miles and my damn clutch has shagged, sounds like a spline too my the sound of it.

Annoying thing is I only use the clutch to stop/start - 25 years of riding all sorts of bike with clutchless shifts (I learned on a crash box bike). My changes are smooth as silk and backed up by several bike strips downs int he past. Clutches usually last be the life of the bike.

I'm awaiting the bill ...

Maybe after this clutch, the rear drive, the brakes etc an R1200RT looks more appealing.

Stay up.

russell_bynum
You do realize that clutchless shifts are very hard on the entire drive train. Right?

Only if you do not do it well.

Agree with Russell. I use the clutch about 2/3 of the time. However, the thought that crossed my mind is that you weren't exercising the splines nearly as much as a clutch shifter...not sure what the implications of that are. It'll be interesting to see what you find on disassembly. --Jerry

I'd agree normally but I learned years ago on a couple of bikes, that "required" clutchless changes. One made it mandatory including "le mans" starting at every stop.

I dont want to sound pompous but I do it right, pre-loaded shift, quick change and "blip" on download. I've had pillions who think the bikes an auto - only the engine pitch changes on up shifting. It's not a skill I advocate for newer riders, but ex-racers and old farts like me, appreciate the extra smoothness etc of getting it right.

In any case, I used to always service my own steeds and my clutches and gear boxes (esp dogs) where always immaculate.

I'm keen to see exactly what has gone wrong with it. I'll get back to you.

Sorry to hear your clutch has shagged on you. I do clutchless shifts from time to time as well. I would think that this practice would actually prolong clutch life - although it arguably could be considered harder on other "bits" down there in the gearbox...

I'm not sure how big of a difference it is, but to state the obvious, the BMW has a dry clutch while most other bikes have wet clutches.

Archived