IGNORED

R1150RT seat advise

John_KK

Looking to go to either Cee Bailey's, Rick Mayer or Bill Mayer for seat. Current Sargent seat causes pain like sitting on the edge of bleachers. Any input on the above seat makers is appreciated. Thank you.

i bought a seat from bill mayer saddles. i had to send it back once . when i got it back it was great. i am now one happy guy. with the original saddle my butt was killing me after 25 minutes. last month i rode from vegas to reno non- stop. no problem. love the seat

You didn't mention the Russell Day Long Saddle. I have about 60K miles on two Day Long saddles on two different bikes and will never use another seat.

For the record, I have tried a Rick Mayer and a Bill Mayer, the Day Long is by far a better seat. The day Long saddle was developed by Bill Mayer Sr. and is the seat of choice by long distance riders for a good reason.

Also, for the record, the Cee Bailey is a cheap imitation of the Day Long with the patented support system.

Here's the link: http://www.day-long.com/

I have a Rick Mayer seat and am very happy with it. I was going to go with a Russell Day Long before I talked to a Rick Mayer owner in Torrey last spring. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. It all depends on how the seat works with your butt!!

Mike

John

Do you have the original comfort seat on your bike? I had the original and whenever I rode the bike the rear part of the seat I call the lip or where it curves upward would hit my tailbone and throw me forward. So my comfort seat was anything but comfortable. Here is my solution that a riding buddy shared with me. First remove the seat. Then remove about 50%-70% of the staples that hold the vinyl onto the seat pan starting from the rear. Peel the vinyl back exposing the foam. Then take a long sharp knife and remove about 50% of the thickness of the lip. So if it is 2" thick remove 1". Then take a grinder and smooth the area you just removed. I also flattened out the center of the seat with the grinder to within about 2"-3" of the front of the seat. Once the trimming was done I took the seat to an upholstery shop and they sprayed glue on it and restapled it to the seat pan. The whole deal cost me 2 lunches and $10 or $30 total. There is now a HUGE difference in the comfort of my seat. This alternative could save you hundreds of dollars vs. buying a new seat. More importantly if you were to look at the bike you would not be able to tell anything was done to it. The only difference is that the seat appears to be flatter than before.

Guys ... I continue to check on your comments and I appreciate them all. I have the BMW comfort seat along with the Sargent. I'm 5'10", 205 lbs ... hate to admit being that big ... I'll keep all posted with what I end up doing and the results. Thanks again ... John in MI

John, I went through a similar process with seats for my 2004 RT. The stock seat went right away. First I tried Sargent, as they had a 30 return policy if you buy direct. I returned it within the trial period. Next, I had Rick Mayer build me a seat. Sold it here, and purchased a used Russell Seat. I'm very happy with it. I also tried a friend's Corbin in the process. Take a good look at Russell, you won't be disappointed.

Well ... I shipped my BMW seat off to Russell today having completed the form, taken photos, etc. It's an expensive seat, but I feel that you get what you pay for ... I really appreciate all the input and wish you all well.

John

Archived