IGNORED

Intimidating Brake Bleed

Yeeha! Stephen

Yeeha! Stephen

The local BMW Guru showed me, up close and personal, the scary Linked Brake Wheel Circuit/Control Circuit bleed at a local Tech Day yesterday.

Why was I so intimidated? After seeing it first hand, it's not scarey. In fact, except for being a little time consuming, it's easy. Even more so when you do the Wheel Circuits cause the Servos help out.

I'm not a mechanical dummy. I've been into the deep dark hidden passages of internal combustion-dom. So why does working on a "BMW" spook me so much?

It took me for ever to start doing my own services I've known how to do valves, etc... for years. Even the type the Oilhead has. Other bikes have em'. For goodness sake, I've even done valves on a Shim Under set up before, where pulling the cams is required.

Something about this bike...

Think, maybe, it's because this RT is my first ever BMW? Am I still under a Spell from the legendary Motorad?

Hmmmmmmm...

Well, that was one hurdle. Now on to the SPLINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(No, mine don't need it yet. I was just being dramatic grin.gif )

I have to agree is was intimidating. Or more along the lines of it took a long time and was very involved. I have to admit I was learning to appriciate my older 99 RT1100 because my brake flush took about 20 minutes vs 2 hours.

I just finished my 12K service and replaced the fuel filter on my '04 GS, but had decided to leave the servo ABS brake bleed to BMW shop. I have begun to have the urge to do it myself after reading "How To" on ADVRIDER Hall of Wisdom. Any pointers you might pass along?

I have done it a couple times now, and find that other than replacing all the bleeders with Speed bleeders, it is a fairly simple task that takes a couple hours, and isn't all that difficult.

The second time, when the bleeders are already in place, should only take an hour or so. Depending on how much tupperware needs to come off.

Jim cool.gif

So Jim, did you put speed bleeders on ALL of the servo bleeders as well as the outside brakes? If so, weren't the necessary lengths of the bleeders different? How did you size those? Inquiring minds want to know. cool.gif

Jim,

Looking at the shop manual for the 1150 gs it says do the caliper bleed every 12 months, the main unit bleed every 24 months and the "Moditec brake bleed test" every 12 months. The first 2 I think I can handle, but obviously don't have a Moditec. Do have any idea what the Moditec brake bleed test entails and is it really necessary?

Dave

So Jim, did you put speed bleeders on ALL of the servo bleeders as well as the outside brakes? If so, weren't the necessary lengths of the bleeders different? How did you size those? Inquiring minds want to know. cool.gif

Jim helped me do my brakes. I got my speed bleeders from Speed Bleeders. I called them and told them the bike I had and they sent me the right ones. When installing them we just matched the threads.

Ray

Jim helped me do my brakes. I got my speed bleeders from Speed Bleeders. I called them and told them the bike I had and they sent me the right ones. When installing them we just matched the threads.

Ray

Don't forget the most important tips Ray! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Yeeha! Stephen
Any pointers you might pass along?

There are 6 points that require connecting a bleed hose under the tank. Removing the hose 6 times was kinda messy. Have plenty of rags/paper towels around to soak up run off.

Don't squeeze the handle bar lever too quickly or you'll get a fountain of fluid headed right toward your Dash/Mirror area.

Check the manual for the bleeder sequence. There's 3 for the front and 3 for the back and they are in a strange pattern.

Speed Bleeders would make it a snap for a one man opperation, but I don't think I'm gonna need 'em. For a 1 & 2 year service, I'm gonna just use what's there.

If you made a Funnel-thingy for an early 1150, it won't fit a late model (read Dual Spark) 1150 very well. The threads aren't deep enough. The one I saw just barely caught on one thread... it was kinda dicey for a while.

When doing the Wheel Circuits, be careful how hard you squeeze the lever... those servos pump fluid through REALLY FAST!

Jamie & Lesli's write up is spot on... just be sure you've looked up the bleed pattern on the 6 bleeders and that you have it down pat.

Buy the BIG bottle of fluid, I think it's a quart, cause you'll use most of it. That is, until you get to be an expert on this service.

Don't know if this is important or not, but our "teacher" did it. The 6 bleeders face upward. When removing the bleed hose, each has a little fluid left in it. "Teacher" says that the little bit of fluid could absorb moisture and corrode your bleeders. He took a little bit of paper towel and soaked up that minute bit of fluid before replacing the dust caps. Anal? Maybe, but I'm gonna do it.

Last but not least... Don't be Skeert like I was. crazy.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Jim,

Looking at the shop manual for the 1150 gs it says do the caliper bleed every 12 months, the main unit bleed every 24 months and the "Moditec brake bleed test" every 12 months. The first 2 I think I can handle, but obviously don't have a Moditec. Do have any idea what the Moditec brake bleed test entails and is it really necessary?

Dave

I do the wheel circuits and control circuits on schedule. The MiDoTec? If there's one in my garage it's buried among the other stuff that would be nice to have but I can't seem to find, and so far it hasn't affected my brakes. The dealer was kind enough to run the codes from my bike last time it was there (it's been a while.) No codes. Bike stops. Good enough for me.

If you're feeling a bit tentaive about it, find a Tech Daze in your area or hook up with someone who's got the right tools to help you do yours. It's liberating... and inexpensive. thumbsup.gif

Maybe I could entice my buddy Stephen to come out to Abilene and show me how.

You know I'd buy a steak for you out at Perini Ranch for some Tech Day tips thumbsup.gif

I am like you, I hate to do it until I am shown.

I'll bet we could get a few West Texans involved in a brake bleed session followed by grilled dead cow and a nice ride.

[/baiting]

Jim, Do have any idea what the Moditec brake bleed test entails and is it really necessary?

I'm not Jim and I don't play him on TV, but for my .02, if the system operates properly and isn't setting any fault codes (not lighting a ABS fault light) then the Moditec is only going to tell you what you already know.

But if peace of mind is important to you, most cooperative shops will run the diag. after you have finished your own bleed for a minimal charge.

Yeeha! Stephen
Maybe I could entice my buddy Stephen to come out to Abilene and show me how.

You know I'd buy a steak for you out at Perini Ranch for some Tech Day tips thumbsup.gif

I am like you, I hate to do it until I am shown.

I'll bet we could get a few West Texans involved in a brake bleed session followed by grilled dead cow and a nice ride.

[/baiting]

I'd be up for that, as soon as I get my tools built (the funnel thingy). I've got my parts on order... tic toc... tic toc...

Archived