IGNORED

Tire Recommendation for K75S

Tarheel_Rider

Tarheel_Rider

Any ideas on the best tire for the K75S for long(er) life? Ride two up about 50% of the time (430# combined) and am not skilled enough to be aggressive in turns so don't rely on that last bit of rubber much. Looks like I'll get about 8K on this one (better than the last two because I picked up screws/nails), but am thinking there may be a better choice for longer life. Currently have a Metzler Lasertec 130/90 - 17 M/C 68V on the rear.

For maximum mileage, many use the Dunlop 491. Some claim it gives up some traction for longer life. A good balance of traction and mileage is the Michelin Mac 50. YMMV

Yea, 491's wear like iron and I think thats what they handle like as well. If you are really wanting to do a lot better than 8K, the 491 will do the job but dont try and get fancy with them. Metz still makes the good ol' ME88 in your size. heavy sidewall for 2 up touring and suprising stick. Im sure with proper attention to air pressure you will see over 8K easily. Works best with the ME33 (they are still to be had) or the Lasertec though the compounds on those 2 are softer. You could pair it with an ME880 and it would do nicely for a long time.

If mileage is primary and reasonably good wet traction I have used Continental TK17 (ContiTours) on the rear and had mileage in excess of 16K on them. (Ususally I get between 7.5 - 11K on the rear w/ other tires). If ridden aggressively (and smoothly) they tend to smell a bit but don't display excess wear.

I have used a number of model Metzlers, Pirelli, Bridgestone BT045, Michelins, Continentials (several models ) over the years.

Currently trying the BT045s to see how they fare.

I agree with Dunlops for long wear......I took them off my K75RT with half their life left 'cause I lost confidence in them traction wise..They are of a harder compound...I put on Pirelli Sport Demons and really like them..Softer material and a more pliant ride.....They will not get the mileage of the Dunlops but have a good feel to me....I rode them at a 2 day track school and they didn't give me any untoward feelings (see avatar right)....Stuck well...Lots of good tires out there as pointed out.....Pirelli is owned by Metzler and rumor is that they both use the same compounds with different tread pattern molds for both lines of m'cycle tires....

Phil........Redbrick

Archived