IGNORED

Wiring question

ChuckS

Ok, so all my new stuff came in and I am spending time this weekend retro-fitting the bike. The 1200 RT. Yes, I will post pictures.

The question; Picked up a 'TPS 12 CAN Bus output helper' from the dealer. I thought I listened to what wire to hook up to what wire on the bike to allow the switch to close after I start... But I uhmmmmm must have been else where...at least in my head. HELP!!! I am really looking to get this all done before I have to do something crazy like...drive a car to work on Monday..... Damm, evening saying that now I know I will have nightmares...

Thanks!

Ok, so all my new stuff came in and I am spending time this weekend retro-fitting the bike. The 1200 RT. Yes, I will post pictures.

The question; Picked up a 'TPS 12 CAN Bus output helper' from the dealer. I thought I listened to what wire to hook up to what wire on the bike to allow the switch to close after I start... But I uhmmmmm must have been else where...at least in my head. HELP!!! I am really looking to get this all done before I have to do something crazy like...drive a car to work on Monday..... Damm, evening saying that now I know I will have nightmares...

Thanks!

Hi Chuck,

I just finished installing the TPS 15 on 2 bikes (mine and my buddie's). The red and black go direct to the positive and negative on the battery. The yellow wire on the TPS is a "monitor wire" to monitor a switched 12vdc power source. The TPS has a small relay in it and uses the yellow wire to turn the relay on and off so anything hooked to the TPS will shut off when the bike is off. So, the yellow wire, we hooked to the green wire on the diagnostic plug. In the rear behind the passenger seat there are a couple of plugs taped up on the right hand side as you look in. One has two wires and is a pre-wire for a rear accessory plug. THe other has 6 or so wires and is the diagnostic port for the dealer to hook in and see what's going on with your bike. That second plug has a green wire where you can use the red splice clip included with your TPS unit and tie the yellow wire from your TPS into the green wire, and presto... switched power on your TPS 15.

I also mounted the TPS back there on the vertical plastic riser that divides that compartment from the brakelight area. Up on it's side, it would shed any water that ever found it's way in there. Here's a picture of my setup where you can see the TPS mounted. Let me know if that doesn't seem clear. Here's a link to my web page where you can see a few more pics.

Cheers

630643-IMG_7619.jpg.768ccbadc3cedaa3006c145cd10104ab.jpg

On the Touratech Page, I see instructions listed in German and English, take a look there, maybe that will help your install?

I found their instructions a little cryptic. I realize they were written for installation on a GS, but if you have an RT and locate the thing where they tell you too, you'll have to remove your tank bag rack and whole left side faring just to check a blown fuse. Didn't think that was too practical and the wires were just the right length to put them where I mentioned earlier. All you have to do is lift out the passenger seat to check your fuse and wiring.

On the Touratech Page, I see instructions listed in German and English, take a look there, maybe that will help your install?

I found their instructions a little cryptic. I realize they were written for installation on a GS, but if you have an RT and locate the thing where they tell you too, you'll have to remove your tank bag rack and whole left side faring just to check a blown fuse. Didn't think that was too practical and the wires were just the right length to put them where I mentioned earlier. All you have to do is lift out the passenger seat to check your fuse and wiring.

The instructions from Touratech have you hook up the yellow (relay trigger wire) to the "parking light" in the headlamp ass'y. Which I think is a poor choice. One, it's hard to get to, secondly the parking light cycles off during engine cranking, cycling whatever you have connected to the TPS-15 too. The mentioned source on the diag. plug works, although it may raise a few eyebrows at a dealer during diagnosis service. The accessory plug works too. (What I did.)
The mentioned source on the diag. plug works, although it may raise a few eyebrows at a dealer during diagnosis service. The accessory plug works too. (What I did.)

Ken,

For some reason, when I hooked into the accessory plug (where I went 1st) my Hyperlights stayed on when following the "start sequence" for the BMW charger. The accessory socket stays hot when charging whereas the diag port green wire switches off immediately when the ignition is shut off. So, I moved it to the green wire on the diagnostic port after seeing that mentioned in a post by Jim VonBaden.

For some reason, when I hooked into the accessory plug (where I went 1st) my Hyperlights stayed on when following the "start sequence" for the BMW charger. The accessory socket stays hot when charging whereas the diag port green wire switches off immediately when the ignition is shut off. So, I moved it to the green wire on the diagnostic port after seeing that mentioned in a post by Jim VonBaden.

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't charge through the acc'y socket, I have a connection directly to my aux. fuse block for that. But for someone using the BMW "special" charge through the acc'y socket on a R12XXxx that would be an issue.

Archived