IGNORED

Hex VS Cam Head By The Numbers

s3steve

Does anybody know how many Hex head BMW's have been sold vs the Cam head?

When you look at the thread count on this site the Hex (as of this post) is 8314 vs 241 for the Cam head.

Is the Cam head that much better then the Hex and no one is having issues?

Obviously there are more Hex's out there but Cam head has been out for three model years. You'd think there would be something more then switch gear issues.

Don't know if this can help you but in 2012 alone BMW sold 17249 Camhead R1200GS, 10203 R1200GS-A and 7909 R1200RT worldwide.

Combined worldwide sales of the Hexhead GS and GSA in 2006 were 18320, but back then BMW hadn't penetrated the US, French and Brazilian markets as deeply as it has since.

These are the only data I could find.

The reasons you'll find so little posts about Camhead are three.

First, most of these bikes are still under warranty. If a problem pops up it's only natural for an owner to ask the dealer to sort it out instead of putting time, money and effort into it.

Second, apart from the switches, the only problems these bikes had (oil leaks, a few malfunction exhaust valves etc) were early in the production run and were quickly fixed.

Third, Camhead owners tend to be predominantly new to the BMW world and hence haven't caught the DIY/accessory fever yet. :grin:

Assume you realize that probably 99% of owners don't post in either thread. I've had enjoyed both, no problems with either other than a leaky rear shock which was replaced under wty after they noticed it while I was at the dealer.

DaveTheAffable

... and over 14000 posts for oilheads. :/

A lot of issues and questions are "cross family" also. I have learned a tremendous amount about "RT's" by reading the hexhead and oilhead posts.

I recently had a clutch question, and even though I have a camhead, I posted it in hexheads because I knew there was an abundance of knowledge there.

YMMV :wave:

The Hexhead was released for 2005. If I am not mistaken, the Camhead was released in 2010-11. The Hexes have just been out there a lot longer, Oilheads even longer than that.

Frank

Is the Cam head that much better then the Hex and no one is having issues?

Fixed on the Cam heads ...

fuel strip replaced by fuel float

fuel pump hose socket reinforced

rear wheel hub now steel

mirrors can't fall off

Speedo and tach glare under control (but not central readout)

Unless you bought early 2010 camhead, I'm on fuel strip #4.

Correct. As per the BMW OEM site the fuel strip was last used up to July 2010. From August 2010 and on they changed over to the float arm type of fuel quantity transmitter.

Something to think about if your looking at a 2010 model.

August 2010 and newer will get you away from the troubling fuel strip model RT.

Archived