IGNORED

any reason not to buy a Roadcrafter

TracerBullet

I have read a lot of threads about the reasons for buying a Roadcrafter. Are there any reasons not to buy. The price point is good for what you get. I have looked at BMW gear, it is nice but also pricey.

I have a Motoport Kevlar air mesh pants and jacket which I like a lot for warm weather, but the liners are difficult to deal with when it gets colder. I would like to use the Motoport exclusively for hot weather but when it cools down I am looking for something else. easier on and off and a warmer than a mesh.

So... why should'nt I buy a Roadcrafter

thanx for your insight

sal

...children will laugh at you,

your dogs will be frightened,

old people will make fun of you,

you will answer the same stupid questions every day you wear it,

it cost more than my first car,

Great suit, worth every penny for the way I use it. If I ever need a replacement I won't hesitate to buy another.

pete

I do the same thing you are planning on for riding gear. In the summer I use the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar and in the colder air I use a one piece Roadcrafter. I think the Motoport and Aerostich are the finest piecest of riding gear available.

ShovelStrokeEd

Just one. The Roadcrafter is NOT warm. You will need additional gear under it in what you guys in the north define as cooler weather.

Maybe two. It's like havving most of another person with you when travelling. Yeah, it's easy to get on and off but, once off, what the hell do you do with it?

I have 3 complete outfits and a couple of extra singles and can come up with a riding kit to match any conditions. The Roadcrafter (one piece) will span most of these conditions but is not always my first choice. In fact, it spends a good deal more time in the closet than its cost would warrent.

Mild to stinkin' hot weather finds me in my BMW Airflow gear. To the horror of the ATGATT folks, it is often just the jacket with jeans. I may use the BMW summer pants, depends on how and where I'm riding.

Cooler, but not cold, and the likelyhood of inclement weather and the Belstaff Discovery outfit gets the nod as it eliminates the need for a rain suit and the built in Goretex provides a good deal more wind blocking.

I have a Joe Rocket full mesh pants and jacket that I will sometimes wear when riding the R100S as it's cooler than the Airflow stuff but I don't much care for the reduced protection. It is more a fashion statement.

The Roadcrafter does get worn on extended trips when weather is uncertain. I mostly travel alone so it's no big deal if I take up an entire extra side of a booth in a road side restaurant. I still dislike the fact that it takes up so much room. You have to leave a whole side bag empty just for it if you are at all concerned about securing it.

In summation, I know, finally, I have it and use it but, I probably wouldn't buy another. I find the two piece gear just as weather proof and more versatile in that I can mix and match to suit my mood/needs.

I am going to echo SSEd here. Not the warmest nor easiest to get warm - if it fits well with one layer, the second layer gets you feeling bulbous.

Ditto the "what to do with it now?" matter.

They are Great suits. thumbsup.gif You`ll never find one to fit all your riding needs. eek.gif

They are good for about 70% of your needs (IMHO) and you can add Gerbing heated jacket liner for colder weather riding. For spring and summer you`ll need to have other riding gear to cover the rest of your personal requirements. The RoadCrafter would be a wise start to your collection. clap.gif

I don't know how much gear I've owned over the years, but it keeps getting better and better.

I spent 5 years in TourMaster gear. Surprisingly good for the money. Not really versatile.

Spent another three years in BMW gear, primarily Savanna2 stuff (superceded by BMW to the Santiago). Versatile and surprisingly good in hot weather, but don't bother with the Gore-Tex liners. Just get a good rainsuit.

Now, in addition to my Santiago, I have a new Stich I bought this past summer. Issues? Yes. It took them 4 tries to get the fitment right, even though I went to the factory in Duluth (side trip during a wedding trip to Mpls) to get fitted. How does it perform? I put my Gerbings on underneath, or even AeroStich's own Windblock Fleece, and I'm good to go. Been down in the high 20's with it. No problems. Haven't ridden it in the rain yet. Would I buy another? Too soon to tell. But I think so. It's probably going to get that much use. The Savanna stuff is now relegated to summers only.

Well, they may not be the warmest, but I find they work amazingly well for many conditions. Over shorts and a tee, with the vents all open and I'm good into the 80's (while moving, they get hot when stopped). Close the vents and trade pants for the shorts and you're into the upper 40's. Gerbings liner over silk tee and smartwool long johns and you're down to the teens. Single digits are just cold, but I don't think there's anyway to be warm at those temps without a few layers. I will recommend you get two pieces, rather than the one. If you leave the two zipped together, it's almost as easy to get in and out of as the one piece, but at least you then have the option of wearing just the jacket when you arrive. I bought the one piece for commuting duty, but when I go places I am always packing an extra sweatshirt to wear around in the evenings.

As to why not get one, well then you'll look like the rest of us. grin.gif

I have read a lot of threads about the reasons for buying a Roadcrafter. Are there any reasons not to buy. The price point is good for what you get. I have looked at BMW gear, it is nice but also pricey.

I have a Motoport Kevlar air mesh pants and jacket which I like a lot for warm weather, but the liners are difficult to deal with when it gets colder. I would like to use the Motoport exclusively for hot weather but when it cools down I am looking for something else. easier on and off and a warmer than a mesh.

So... why should'nt I buy a Roadcrafter

sal

I'm also right on the fringe of ordering a roadcrafter. I already have a Darien Jacket and a Joe Rocket 2 piece suit which I really like as well as a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket for the real hot days. But pondering the Roadcrafter for the longer trips.

My question to those of you who have them already: 1 piece or two, and why?

I'm leaning towards a 2 piece so I could use the jacket if cool when I may not need the pants for walking around at rallies etc. Are you more likely to get wet in a 2 piece? If you were doing it over again would you change from a 1 piece to 2 or vice versa?

Also did you have problems getting a decent fit on the 1st try as at least one other mentioned in this thread?

I'm also right on the fringe of ordering a roadcrafter. I already have a Darien Jacket and a Joe Rocket 2 piece suit which I really like as well as a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket for the real hot days. But pondering the Roadcrafter for the longer trips.

My question to those of you who have them already: 1 piece or two, and why?

I'm leaning towards a 2 piece so I could use the jacket if cool when I may not need the pants for walking around at rallies etc. Are you more likely to get wet in a 2 piece? If you were doing it over again would you change from a 1 piece to 2 or vice versa?

Also did you have problems getting a decent fit on the 1st try as at least one other mentioned in this thread?

I got the one piece. I don't know that I put too much thought into one vs. two. I was buying it almost exclusively for commuting and liked the easy on feature of the one piece. I also didn't see many occasions when I'd be riding with only half the suit.

Sizing was perfect, but I'm convinced that that's only because I called and spoke to someone there. She took my measurements etc. and suggested a size, not what I might have chosen using their sizing guide, but she was spot on. They are a pleasure to do business with.

If I were to do it all again I'd get the one piece, hi-viz, that I have now. But I'd opt for a darker color ballistic on the lower legs to hide road filth.

I bought a two piece Roadcrafter thinking it would be more versatile, but I have never unzipped the two halves so for all practical purposes it is a one piece.

The RC works for me without electrics down to about 40 degrees with just normal clothes underneath. Anything colder I get the Gerbings out. I also have a Darien but I mostly use it for snowboarding. In the summer I wear a Airflow.

Up until '99 I always rode in full black leathers. It sucked getting caught in traffic on 100 degree July days. It took me a long time not to feel "naked" in the Stich, but I really like it now.

AdventurePoser

Ah, the eternal question....one or two piece...Personally for me, I like the looks and comfort of my one piece. It isn't that big of a deal when you want to take it off! I unzip, and drape it over the bike and just walk around in whatever I had underneath it.

Getting the right fit was not hard for J or me(this was my second one) as we road to the store and bought it directly from them. They took detailed measurements and mailed the suits very quickly!

Here is Mark and his traveling schnauzer in a red one. Yes, they fade quickly, but remember Mark had about 100K on this suit when I took the pic!

11938348-M.jpg

Aren't we cute..

8899377-M.jpg

The Stich goes with any bike! grin.gif

19301794-M.jpg

Enjoy your suit, no matter which one you buy...

Steve

i bought a one-piece because i knew if i bought a two-piece i'd never wear the pants (jeans instead). i have a black one and love it. going on 4 years old and probably 50,000 miles, it still looks nearly brand new. the suit will span the widest range of conditions compared to anything else i own. if i lost mine or outgrew it, i'd buy another in a second.

russell_bynum

Here's what I don't like about my Roadcrafter:

1. Although it does a great job of keeping you cool in the heat as long as you're moving, if you aren't moving, it is like wearing a pressure cooker. If I had a situation where I was going to be stationary, or moving very slowly in intense heat, I would not choose the Roadcrafter. In that situation, mesh is the only way to go.

2. It is water resistant, but not waterproof. That hasn't been a problem for me, but if you live somewhere that gets lots of rain, it might be worth thinking about. The suit tends to leak around the zippers (which is fairly easy to reduce to the point where it really doesn't matter), and it will eventually waterlog if you ride in a driving rain long enough. I don't think that would ever be an issue behind the fairing of a touring bike or even a sport tourer (I rode for 3 hours in absolutely pouring rain on Lisa's R1100RS and the suit didn't waterlog), but if you ride a sportbike or a naked bike, it could be an issue.

3. It looks dorky when you wear a Roadcrafter at the track. smile.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

50319068-L-1.jpg

This is my second Roadcrafter. The first one was a two-piece and this is a one. I'd not get another one-piece in my current PNW locale because it leaks at the crotch. I've attempted to seal the zipper tape, as recommended, but the water still gets through. It is less so if I re-waterproof the suit with Nikwax, but that's expensive, done too often.

The two-piece never leaked. My theory is that the extra material that overlapped at the waist prevented the leak. I got the two-piece because I thought I'd occasionally ride with just the jacket, but I only did that 3-4 times over 3 years until my suit was stolen. Grrrrr...

I spoke with some gear repair folks who said that, when seated on the bike, the zipper teeth try to pull apart and after some time, the water will get through. Even Aerostitch's web site says that a neck to ankle zipper is a compromise.

I've found a wonderfully absorbent disposable product that I cut and notch to, err, act as a, uhh, wonderfully absorbent disposable product! grin.gif It works pretty well too, gathering more than 1/2 cup of water before it starts to leak.

So if I had to do it over again, I'd either get the two-piece or a Darien, or go with another brand entirely.

I have a two-piece with a bib. This combination gives you more freedom of movement in the suit. With the two pieces zipped together, I dislike the constricted feeling.

**Hijack***********

Since we've gathered all of the experts...

Roadcrafter vs. Darien?

Looking for good weather protection with easy-on over business casual attire.

Thanks,

Mike

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Roadcrafter vs. Darien?

Looking for good weather protection with easy-on over business casual attire.

Your location and commute makes a difference. If you're up here in the NW, ride year round and have a 25+ mile commute, I'd suggest the Darien. If, OTOH, you're in the warmer climates, have another vehicle for the really nasty days and/or can keep a change of clothes at work, then a Roadcrafter might be a good choice.

Don't get me wrong as I've been very happy with my Roadcrafter...nearly every ride.

I use the roadcrafter every day for commuting. It is easy on/off and keeps the office clothes clean and unwrinkled.

As for the zipper leaking, I Scotchguarded all of the zippers on mine. That, combined with making sure the suit isn't puckered in the front, keeps all water out. Even in our Florida rains. Even so, I keep a complete change of clothes at work.

pete

On my old R1150RT I did have the zipper leak problem. On the R1100S, I do not have that big of a problem, unless it's really raining and I'm out for a long time. I've concluded that the RT puddled water on the seat where the S does not. Also, sitting up straighter probably dripped more water down.

The Roadcrafter is not perfect. But it's as close to perfect as you'll find for ONE garment. Sure, mesh is better in summer heat and something bulkier is better in winter. But neither of those does ANY good outside of their element. The Roadcrafter is the jack of all trades.

Oh yea, and a quick solution to the crotch problem is to buy a cheap pair of rain gear. I know, defeats the purpose of the waterproof Roadcrafter, right? I say hogwah. It's not that big of a deal to put on and off. I use it ONLY for the most severe and sustained rains.

Keeps my $$$ Roadcrafter clean from the wet road debris to boot.

Having owned two, I have found it is a great all around suit for all but hot weather. Hot to me is over 90 degrees. Cooler than that it's one of the best you can buy IMHO. Under 60, again for me, an extra fleece layer is all I need down to about 40. Below 40 the Gerbings are used. As others said, too many layers gives you that Michelin-man look.

If you get the Hi-Viz, just leave it draped over you bike. No one is going to steal it! smile.gif

I don't own one, but I was thinking of buying one for the commute to and from work. The only adavantage seems to be that they are easy to get in and out of. Beyond that, they seem rather pricey for a suit with no lining and lacks substantial body armor. I haven't bought one yet.

I have the one piece for the ATGATT. Otherwise in warm weather I would be without the pants.

As for the wetness. I rode the the National Rally in Ohio this summer. I was 'caught' in the rain the night of July 10-11 through Illinois and Indiana. I pulled the material of the 'stich up in the crotch area, eliminates the fold/cup that collects water and allows it to seep in, creating that "I need a change look/ walk".

As for hot weather, I keep hydrated and not much of a problem. It is better to slow the air down going over the skin in hot weather verse open it up to the hot dry air. Done two rides through Arizona during the summers--SS1000 and BB1500.

Archived