IGNORED

Lighting on an 04 k1200GT

kinchy

Had Piaas on the RT installed inside under the Tupperware. They improved visibility a great deal. That won't work on the GT. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm not piaa centric so if other lights are out there that accomplish the same goal I'm all ears...thanks

I've got Motolights, strap on fork, and PIAA 1100's mounted under the cooler.

Why do you think PIAA's won't work?

Yes, brackets that mount the lights.

Been 8-9 years, don't recall where, maybe cycle gadgets who are

OOB.

Would not be that difficult to "make" some.

If I can find info will post.

Quick search shows A&S still sell "kit" w/lights and mounting brackets.

link

there are some lights for sale in our classifieds.

I'll look when I'm back w/bike, mounts can be fabricated

or perhaps A&S will just sell the mounts or someone else can link to mount provider.

Those were pretty simple. Just two plates that screwed up underneath the oil cooler. I liked them a lot.

Yep.

Just got home.

2plates wider and longer than the bottom plate of the lights.

Mine have a slight taper , didn't look for the reason, probably isn't one.

Template the light mount, the mounting plate is flat w/holes to mount light and attach to bike.

Got mine from Pirates Lair but site says sold out.

Perhaps they can help?

Those were pretty simple. Just two plates that screwed up underneath the oil cooler. I liked them a lot.

I have the PIAA 1100 with the mounting kit on my current KRS - came with the bike. However, my first KRS I put on the PIAA 1100's myself and simply replaced the existing frame screws with 2 longer screws without any mounting plates. The lights were stable and worked fine without the mounting plates.

I also have and would recommend the accessory that allows you to turn the light on and off with the turn signal cancel button. :thumbsup:

"I also have and would recommend the accessory that allows you to turn the light on and off with the turn signal cancel button"

The auto/euroswitch is great and +1.

PIAA's on that and Moto's on an on/off switch.

All independent of bikes stock lighting.

For additional conspicuity I've also added run-n-lites & lite buddys for always on front turn signals and additional red running lights in rear.

Gentlemen

Thanks, I pulled my head completely out of my butt and can see where and how to mount the 1100's. I'll also make sure I can replace a bulb without dealing with the tupperware. Certainly appreciate the counsel..

W

Unless you really want to recycle those PIAAs there are modern LEDs that do a better job and don't need bulbs replaced. They include items from Clearwater, Rigid, and several others. The H3 in the PIAAs isn't very good for getting light down the road compared to other halogens let alone newer stuff- but it works fine for conspicuity.

I'd like to see a side by side, in the dark comparison, for edification.

My PIAA's illuminate almost as much as my high beam does.

Not doubting, but haven't seen the LED's first hand and

not going to replace what I'm running now.

On another bike someday, who knows.

For regular smart deer, Moto's or PIAA's have been more than adequate.

For dumb deer, those there's nothing you can do (usually)

bursting out of the woods immediately in front or actually running into you (BTDT :dopeslap: ), no illumination can help, IMO.

Dennis Andress

The PIAA 1100s had the tightest spot beam I have ever seen. When aimed correctly they will light up the center of the road without blinding oncoming traffic.

I've noticed that some LED bulbs wash out when there is bright sun behind.

Archived