IGNORED

Electrical Fault

tom collins

Bike 2003 K1200RS (18,500 miles if that matters)

Problem: no high or low beam, high beam indicator illuminates when bike is turned on and stays illuminated. everything else works fine. also, this started as an intermittent problem and sometimes a little riding seemed to "cure" the problem and everything functioned exactly correct.

Attempt at cure: replaced low beam bulb and checked fuses (good)

So, anyone had this happen to them? Remember what caused the problem. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Tom

Just install a new ground wire to the plastic bulb housing from any good ground source. Make a jumper and try it out. You'll see what is going on easily.

Dennis Andress

A couple of ideas:

The ignition switch on my 02 KRS became intermittent when it got dirty. This caused the tailight to stop working, and maybe other problems which I've forgotten. There's a small screw on one side of the switch assembly which when backed out a bit allows the electrical part to be pulled out the bottom. Disassemble, clean, reassemble. A bit of a PITA, but not overly complex

I'm not sure if the K1200s did it this way, but on K100s the headlight relay got its ground through the starter. I know it's odd, but think about it. When not in use the positive poll of a starter measures less than an ohm to ground. So the headlight relay would latch. But, when the starter is in use the relay would have 12 volts on both side and release. The catch is that when the starter brushes are worn the headlight won't come on at all.

Dennis

That's not really the headlight relay. It's the load shed relay, and it's done on purpose to decrease the load on the battery by turning off the headlight and some other things when the starter is activated.

Archived