IGNORED

aux.fan

LocoOper

Is there anyone out there who has installed an aux fan on or around the oil cooler on an RT. If so please reply with some info on your parts choice and location. In front of cooler or in back?

This is on an R1100RT, yes? If so there was a kit. Don't know if it is still available or not. About $250 as I recall. On the R1150RT, no kit, but you can order all the parts each from the R1150RT-P model.

Some people who have done it report an improvement, others (myself included) think it's a waste except in the most extreme situations. Parade duty for example. Under normal riding the bike moves plenty of air through the cooler.

Hi Carl. I have installed oil cooler fans on a half dozen bikes, 2 of my own and it is NO waste of time/money/ effort. Riders aren't always able to run down the road, sometimes we get into traffic snarls or border crossings. I installed an off/on switch and use the fan only when I get in situations where air is not flowing through the cooler. It's never made the "red" like it did without it. With the 1100RT's it easy. You just buy the 2 halves for the housing and the fan. You can source the swith and a relay from most any electrical supplier.

Lower section 46632317080

Upper section 46632317079

Fan 17402345051

Is there anyone out there who has installed an aux fan on or around the oil cooler on an RT. If so please reply with some info on your parts choice and location. In front of cooler or in back?

Sure. A friend who owned an R1150GS out a boxer fan in front of his oil rad. Seemed to work just fine.

Bob.

I am assuming these part numbers are from BMW ? Also do you have to remove the snorkels that attach to the faring. What is the approx. cost?

Lower section 46632317080 - $85.25

Upper section 46632317079 - $87.25

The Fan has changed to part # 17402345099- $192.00

There are two springs that hold the 1/2s together - $1.70

Plus the other misc. bolts to mount it, relay power it, switch it off/on, etc.

If you want to use the factory oil temp switch ('course the fan will rarely come on with it because it's hardly ever called for with the factory calibration) part # 17211342174 - $33.50

The duct going to the dash outlets remain.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have specifics on parts/wiring for aux. fan for 02 RT? I've found, in stop and go, my RT will run up to 8 bars on temp guage. Had installed PIAA lights tucked inside faring. Does that restrict air flow? Thx.

I have a 2003 R1150RT that I am also wanting to help in the cooling department. Any additional information is greatly welcomed. I want to get this done before the summer heat catches me again.

Thank you!

I have one on my '03 R1150RT. I ride in a parade almost everyday. It is called Washington DC rush hour. I use the fan and am pleased with it. It keeps the oil from cooking in the summer. I never go above 6 bars on the RID. I just put a SPST switch on the front dash board and turn it on and off manually.

Some people who have done it report an improvement, others (myself included) think it's a waste except in the most extreme situations. Parade duty for example.

Not based on experience, but I would agree. You'd have to ride at a crawl or be at a standstill to really need an oil cooler fan. And even at that, the cylinder heads and cylinders would be heating up just as much due to the lack of airflow.

Airflow doesn't get colder as you are going faster. Air at ambient temperature only replaces the hot layer of air adjacent to the hot surface and heat transfer isn't that fast in the first place.

Some people who have done it report an improvement, others (myself included) think it's a waste except in the most extreme situations. Parade duty for example.

Not based on experience, but I would agree. You'd have to ride at a crawl or be at a standstill to really need an oil cooler fan. And even at that, the cylinder heads and cylinders would be heating up just as much due to the lack of airflow.

Airflow doesn't get colder as you are going faster. Air at ambient temperature only replaces the hot layer of air adjacent to the hot surface and heat transfer isn't that fast in the first place.

Ah, the cylinders would be heating up, not the heads. There's a reason these bikes are called oilheads - the heads are oil cooled, keep the oil cool and you keep the heads cool (not a problem in the UK - cool weather and almost compulsory lane splitting/filtering)

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Hi guys, I mostly lurk on this site, but there is a similar discussion (in the reverse) about about over-cooling on the Chromeheads site. I am trying to satisfy my own curiousity about the Oil Head cooling system. I thought I read somewhere that the oil is thermostatically controlled to the coolers, thereby preventing over-cooling. Anyone know if there is in fact a thermostat on the oil-heads?

Ah, the cylinders would be heating up, not the heads. There's a reason these bikes are called oilheads - the heads are oil cooled, keep the oil cool and you keep the heads cool (not a problem in the UK - cool weather and almost compulsory lane splitting/filtering)

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

It would be interesting to see what the inlet and outlet temperatures of the oil are at the oil cooler. If heat was such a problem or if the oil cooler was such a required factor, you'd think they would have made it bigger. The heads are still finned to help.

In the UK with all that rain and mist hitting your oil cooler, you get additional cooling at no extra charge. grin.gif

Ok Stan, Would you know where that pesci little thermostat resides. I found this on Max's Parts Fische. Please confirm.

Slide Title - "Lubricating System - Oil Filter" Item number 16.

11411342761 expanding element

pesci little thermostat resides

It's been in 3 different places that I know of.

On the early ('96 RT's) it was external to the motor and mounted near the oil cooler. I believe that only the RT's had it in those early years.

Then they moved it right next to the oil pump. This was a not so good location in that when it shut off flow to the cooler it also shut off flow around the exhaust valves.

They later moved it to a location near the outlet line leading to the oil cooler. In this location the exhaust valves are always being cooled by oil even when the oil cooler is out of the circuit.

Stan

Hi guys, I mostly lurk on this site, but there is a similar discussion (in the reverse) about about over-cooling on the Chromeheads site. I am trying to satisfy my own curiousity about the Oil Head cooling system. I thought I read somewhere that the oil is thermostatically controlled to the coolers, thereby preventing over-cooling. Anyone know if there is in fact a thermostat on the oil-heads?

I see the RID stays on 5 bars almost all the time, except during warmup and when idling for extended periods of time and it goes to 6 and higher. This to me seems like evidence of a thermostat.

• 8 months later...

A heads up on the fan option. I tried a different part number for the fan and it works great.

The part # 17 11 2 317 705 as listed on the A&S site. There are 2 main differences from 2 previous part numbers I've used. The others were sourced from Japan, this one is from Spain. The other difference is the price. This one lists for $136.00 and with Chicago's 20% discount makes it $108.80. Adding a fan just got better!

Archived