IGNORED

turn signals

BlueOpal99

i am looking for ideas and opinions for my turn signals. what is the best solution for easier on/off method. self-cancelling or auto-switch? etc

I went with the Kisan signal minder, they are great. They are running lights when I am not using my turn signals, meaning I now have three lights in the back instead of one, increasing visability. The only downfall is that the turn signal indicator lights on the dash stay light because the running lights are on, but a very small price to pay for the visability. They can be set to shut off automatically with time interval. Please free to contact me directly if you have other questions. By the way this is on my R1100RT

Kisan SignalMinder - programmable and has a brake light option so it suspends and resumes the cancellation time-out when the brake is applied/rekeased. Great customer support and easy installation.

Yup, I've got the Kisan on my 1150RT. In addition to the bright running lights front and rear, you can also dim them for night running; that way the rear light doesn't get washed out by the amber rear running lights. I've got three positions on mine, off, dim and bright. Also, you can set DIP switches to set different cancellation rates, and then you can also go in with the emergency flasher and turn cancel buttons and do additional software programming. It offers many different cancellation rates this way.

i am looking for ideas and opinions for my turn signals. what is the best solution for easier on/off method. self-cancelling or auto-switch? etc

My ol' 86 K100RT has self cancelling signals and they work just fine. At speeds below 30 Km/H (I think), they cancel after a specific distance. At speeds above that, they cancel after a specific time. Works great!

I also happen to like the BMW switch system with the cancel button.

I chuckle when I see my friend with his new Honda ST1300 out in front, with his turn signal running forever. Apparently over 20 years after BMW came out with the K-bike and its excellent self cancelling signals, Honda still hasn't got them!

Bob.

Apparently over 20 years after BMW came out with the K-bike...

My venerable 1988 750cc Kawasaki Vulcan had excellent self-canceling turn signals. Hard to understand why this is not a given on more modern bikes!

the Kisan unit sounds great. my only problem is having the green turn lights illuminated all the time.to me that can be distracting.especially at night

the Kisan unit sounds great. my only problem is having the green turn lights illuminated all the time.to me that can be distracting.especially at night

At first it is a little bit, but the distraction does go away. Also the running light intensity has 3 options: Off, low and high. Low and high are maybe .25 and .5 of the turnsignal intensity. At the low setting the green lights on the dash are lit pretty dimly, so even at night they are not too distracting. I have mine set on high and noticed the dash lights at first, but I really don't even notice them any more, even at night.

Tom

If you can ride behins someone who has the signal minder on their bike you will quickly determine that your visibility is greatly improved with the SM. I rode behind a buddy who was about 2-3 mi ahead in some very hilly country and I could pick him out in bumper to bumper cage traffic. If the lights on the dash bother you, put tape over them. FWIW.

There's nothing that says you have to use the running lights feature. You can turn it off and still enjoy the self-canceling advantage of the Kisan unit.
There's nothing that says you have to use the running lights feature. You can turn it off and still enjoy the self-canceling advantage of the Kisan unit.
thank you i like the idea of being able to turn off the running lights.

i have found a kit for adding front running lights by changing the sockets.for the rear i want to add some LED's and have them in a flashing mode.

my wife's road king has a flasher unit for the brakes,plus i added an additional two lights running/brake...works really great!

Archived