IGNORED

Question on RT Handling

John on Moosehead

John on Moosehead

I have a new RT and really like it....have 1000 miles on it. One question...it seems to "hunt" a little on a straight at 65 or so. Tire pressure is perfect. Any thoughts?

What is you tire pressure? When you rub the the edges of the tires in the opposite direction can you feel any scalloped tire wear? How many miles are on the tires?

John on Moosehead

Thanks Scott...these are paved roads but do have cracks etc. It's not like it's on a rail for sure. Used to ride a Harley FLHTC. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it...do like the RT a lot.

John on Moosehead

Thanks Edgar...pressures are 32 front and 38 rear. The bike and tires have 1000 miles but it has felt like this since new. I've been riding solo.

Interesting. I picked up an '09 not long ago and it does the same thing. Doesn't seem enough to be clear if something is wrong or just the way these bikes ride. Been wondering if I should take it to the dealer or just try and find someone else with a similar bike to give it a ride and see how it compares to theirs.

John on Moosehead

Thanks Burgi...I may try your suggestion. I'm on the east coast and was thinking of riding the back roads to San Francisco. I could swap bikes for trials with some friends along the way.

Most run 38psi front and 42psi rear. If your running the Battlax 021's expect less than normal wear. The rear will flatten out on the profile quickly and the front will start to scallop on the sides for some unknown reason. I replaced my 021's with the 023's.

So far noticeable difference. I only have about 2,000 miles on them but I am pleased so far. Try not to take too much notice on every little handling characteristic of the RT. It will drive you crazy. Great bike to tour on.

John on Moosehead

Thanks 6speed,

They are 021s. I'll try increasing the pressure but it is higher than the recommended. I really like the RT handling with this exception. I might get used to it. I agree with you that if I focus on this characteristic it will drive me crazy. I like your suggestion.

Congrats on the new bike -- and the fastest color! :)

Some riders consider BMW's recommended tire pressures to be too low by about 5 lbs. I run 36-38 front and 40-41 rear on my Michelin PR3s and it handles great.

Well since you have the crappy 021's like most of us did when new....

Play close attention to tire wear when you reach around 4,000 miles or so. The front tire is the one that I would pay close attention too. The sides start to get scalloped. Don't know why but it must be a Bridges-tone manufacturing secret. The rear will just get a flat profile after 3,000 mile or so. That's what it did with me. Other than that the RT is a wonderful machine to ride. Enjoy it and ride safe and have fun.

I couldn't bear getting 021s on my new '13 so part of the deal was to have the dealer swap out the factory 021s for a new pair of PR3s.

Wear out those 021s asap!

John,

I've owned 33 bikes and the RT and most other BMW's seem to wander a little at speed on the highway IMHO. It takes a little getting used to especially if you're coming off a heavier bike such as the HD's. I attribute this wandering to the lighter weight design of the bike. My FJR, Concours, Wing, nor Ultra ever exhibited this under normal circumstances. Ride behind a GS at 75 + on the highway and you'll think the RT is rock solid as you watch the GS move around. Just ride it faster and smile more!

John,

the 021 tires are crap IMHO, they hunt, follow ever so slight imperfections in the road surface, have poor transition to lean and, again IMHO, are not a very good tire in the wet....

that said, i changed my 2013 R1200RT to PR3 at about 6000 miles....wonderful tire at 36/44psi, the RT handles superbly in ALL conditions...and the steering is very precise and i can easily steer the RT with on body english and no hands on the bars for quite some time....

oh yeah, i do have the RT suspension set mostly at rider/baggage/normal for my daily commute and for sporty weekend rides i set it to rider/pillion/sport.....

wyman

John on Moosehead

Thanks Digtlartst,

I bumped the pressure up to 38F 42R and am wearing the 021s out daily. Didn't know all this stuff when I bought the bike(2months ago)but thanks for filling me in.

John on Moosehead

Thanks a lot Wyman...I agree on the hunting certainly. Being a new BMW owner for just two months I didn't know if it was a characteristic of the bike...that might have given me some concern...but knowing it's the tire is comforting...easy to fix that. I do love the way the RT handles otherwise. I'll change to PR3 for sure.

John on Moosehead

Thanks LD...good to hear about your experiences...I think I'm getting up to speed on this. I do love riding the RT and will take it to the corner store...a 3 minute ride...and have fun doing it.

I appreciate your thoughts.

John

Larry  -  North Texas

I got my 2013 RT on Sept. 25th. My bike stays on a line without no "hunting" at all. You might have the dealer check it out, it doesn't sound normal to me. I have 1,856 on it and am loving it!

I came off 200,000 miles on 2 Harleys in the last 13 years and this is a welcome change.

John,

I did not read through all the post but I noticed my bike will do the same when I have an off balanced saddle bag. Sometime I take my tool box on one side and the other has clothing, gloves and other lighter items. Not a big deal but if I am sitting up with no hands on the bars it will walk a little. I am sure you thought of that but i figured I would point out the obvious.

John on Moosehead

Thanks Larry...I did increase the tire pressure and there was slight improvement but it still does hunt a little. I'll have the dealer check it.

John on Moosehead

Thanks Texas,

I'll take a look. I do have the rain cover on one side but I've noticed this behavior from the start as I recall. I'll keep investigating. We'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks for your time.

Congrats on the new bike -- and the fastest color! :)

Some riders consider BMW's recommended tire pressures to be too low by about 5 lbs. I run 36-38 front and 40-41 rear on my Michelin PR3s and it handles great.

I have the PR3's as well on my 5-month-old RT (5,300 miles so far) and based on recommendations received from several knowledgeable folks on the board, have been running these pressures for the past month or so -- a vast improvement, for sure. Still hate grooved pavement, though there doesn't seem to be any cure for it, other than to make a concerted effort to unclench, relax your grip, and chill through it as best you can.

CoarsegoldKid
Didn't know all this stuff when I bought the bike(2months ago)but thanks for filling me in.

Comes with the territory and your post count will increase quickly. Next you'll want to know how to adjust the plugs, change the valve clearance and what oil goes in. Just wait. At least you won't have to pivot the final drive to drain it.

Great bike though.

"They are 021s. I'll try increasing the pressure but it is higher than the recommended. I really like the RT handling with this exception. I might get used to it. I agree with you that if I focus on this characteristic it will drive me crazy. I like your suggestion."

Aha - I thought so! :Cool:

See my post about replacing BT21s with Michelin PR2s. There are several complaints with the BT21s.....apparently Bridgestone corrected whatever with the 23s and I hear they are fine. But I've had PR2s on all my RTs and could not be happier. I understand the PR3s are even better than the PR2s.

I use F/R 36psi/42psi, but have had a service manager whose opinion I value recommend 38/44 psi. I continue to use 36/42 as that's what my Triumph takes also......makes tire checking easier for my old brain.

John on Moosehead

Hi Deek,

Thanks for your post. I'll get PR3s on it as soon as I can but for now I'm living with the 021s with 38F and 42R pressure. It's OK but not great. It's my first RT and I have a great time riding it except for this issue...I can't wait to see what the RT feels like with really good tires on it. Before I get on the back roads to San Francisco (and from where I live that's quite a ways) I'll get the PR3s on there.

Thanks Deek.

John

John on Moosehead

I just want to thank all those who replied to my question. Your experience and suggestions were really helpful. Ride safe and I'll see you on the road.

John

Archived