IGNORED

Mapsource routes ? (Garmin 2610)

Jerry Johnston

Jerry Johnston

I find I can transfer maps easily from the computer to a chip (or the GPS)but not routes or waypoints. When I put the chip in the gps (2610) it doesn't show and new routes under Route List. Has anyone here had sucess with that?

Is it Mapsource or something I'm not seeing?

That's in advance to any Mapsource experts.

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

I've done it numerous times. When you're setting up to transfer it should ask what you want to transfer. Make sure the routes box is checked.

Pat

Jerry Johnston

When I get ready to transfer to the chip, the Routes box is greyed out. The only mention of routes is on the main page where I have Include route calulations data, and I have that checked. I am using ver. 7 Mapsource.

I believe that routes may only be stored in the internal memory of the GPS, whereas the maps are stored on the memory card. Therefore you need to transfer routes directly to the GPS, which is what I do and haven't had any problems.

I believe that routes may only be stored in the internal memory of the GPS, whereas the maps are stored on the memory card. Therefore you need to transfer routes directly to the GPS, which is what I do and haven't had any problems.

This is correct. You can copy the maps to the CF card via the GPS or via a card reader attached to your PC (which can be much faster), but the routes, waypoints and tracks must be transferred via the GPS. The routes, waypoints and tracks are stored in the GPSes internal memory and not on the CF card.

Jerry Johnston

OK, thank's everyone. I was hoping I could create a route on the computer and then send it to the GPS but looks like it's not possible.

Jerry Johnston

Just the CF chip (I think I misled you in my org. post). To bad they don't have a removable chip for routes as well although it's not a big deal to remove the Garmin and connect it to the computer. I was just hoping to store different trips to various chips and then just plug them in before I take that route the next time.

Archived