IGNORED

Anything wrong with R1200RT?

motorman587

Yea, it looks like the Green Goblin character from the "Spiderman" movies.

Other than that, improved Horsepower and lighter weight have a lot people singing it praises. I just don't know how you go from the smooth flowing lines of the 1150RT to the Modular Techno whatever look finished of in Flat Matte paint.

Looks like whatever they were smoking over in the Auto Design Studio drifted over in the Motorcycle Design Studio...

dopeslap.gif

I have to agree about the looks. I got the '05 R1200RT. I appreciate all the engineering improvements, and I would buy the same again, but I will always be jealous of the beauty of its predecessor, the 1150RT. Here'a a picture of one from the Camp Blanding rally last weekend.

niceRT.jpg

-Eric

I guess looks are subjective. I like the 1200 verses the 11XX. I owned an 1150 and still didn't like the looks but I bought it on a whim because I wanted to get rid of my current ride at the time and the BMW dealer offered the best trade in. But hey some guys like fat women and some skinny, some light some dark etc.wink.gif The 1200 is also easier to dis-assemble IMO to work on since you only have to take off the pieces you need instead of the entire side of the bike. As far as problems I've had none at all except tires wearing out grin.gif but I only have a little over 6k miles on mine and it's been sitting in the garage due to weather.

I have mixed feelings. My 1996 R1100RT (below pic) was gorgeous IMHO, but after owning my 2005 R1200RT for 7 or 8 months now, I could NEVER go back simply because of the technological advances, i.e., cruise-control, electronic suspension adjustments, etc.

BikePic1.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool from the cockpit; if you stand up, it looks really good.

Just got back from a 900 mile trip to bama and have almost 9K on the bike. No complaints and nothing mechanical has gone amiss.

I have a hard time understanding why they deleted the knee pads from the tupperware. Mine is getting rubbed pretty good in that area.

Other than that, no complaints.

I agree that the previous generation was attractive.

HOWEVER when I went in for a test ride, the salesman (Roman at Ride West) insisted that I try the 2004 R1150RT first.

THAT is an effective sales technique! The 1200's lighter weight and smoothness of the engine were very apparent in the side by side comparison.

Any thoughts I harbored about saving $$ by buying last year's model vanished immediately!

Roman, if you are reading this I'm sure you are nodding in agreement! grin.gif

Roman, if you are reading this I'm sure you are nodding in agreement! grin.gif

I'm not Roman, but I am definitely in agreement. I have been riding BMWs for nearly forty years and the R12RT just tickles me every time I get on it. I had a '94 K11LT previously and tested everything that came along to see if I was tempted to ditch the brick. It was the R12RT that did it. You can nitpick it (we all do), but in terms of stability, performance, and sheer riding pleasure, it beats all my expectations. I was sold on it five minutes into my test ride. Ordered it on the spot and never looked back. The only thing that comes close to rivaling it for my attention is the R69S that you will see below my signature.

Hi, new to the Forum as I'm about to buy either the 1150RT or 1200RT. I realise the only way to be sure is to test ride them both, and I'll arrange that next week, but in the meantime how do they compare in terms of weather and wind protection? The 1150 looks as though it may be better .... is it? Thanks for any help.

I have a hard time understanding why they deleted the knee pads from the tupperware. Mine is getting rubbed pretty good in that area.

I found the 3M clear protectant film on EBAY and made my own templates for the kneepad area as well as where my boots come in contact with the frame & fairing. When properly applied you can't even tell it's there, but it it becomes scuffed a few years down the road, you can peel it off and put a new one on... saving the paint. I didn't get 500 miles on my GT when I bought that in 03 before the dark blue paint was showing scuffs at the knee area from my riding pants. For that bike since it was basically a warmed over K12RS, I bought the Wunderlich K12RS black rubber kneepads and covered the scuffs. Hopefully this 3M clear stuff will take care of it on the RT.

how do they compare in terms of weather and wind protection? The 1150 looks as though it may be better .... is it?

I deliberatly rode my R12RT about 2 hours in heavy rain soon after I got it. I believe I can safely say it's weather protection is a bit better than my R11RT which I rode for 9 years in all kinds of weather before trading it in for the R12. Not much better but better. The windshield protects more and is a bit taller. I have/had stock windshields on both bikes. The R12 fairing is a bit more protective from wind than the R11.

Having said that, I really never had any issues with the weather protection on the R11. Both bikes do allow rain to hit your hands so I recommend some kind of waterproof gloves with either. I use Neoprene dive gloves currently.

I have owned my R1200RT since July 2005 and I have 4,600 miles on it. The only things I dislike about it are the CD player that skips and the seat that is not as comfortable as the BMW Comfort Seat I had on my R1200C.

Unlike many folks who post here, I can't say that I dislike the looks. I can't see what it looks like when I am riding it anyway. I am too busy looking at the road and avoiding the cars that may not see me.

As a matter of fact, I have received compliments about the looks of the bike. I just say, "Thank You" and tell them how much I enjoy riding it.

As I said earlier, I owned a R1200C and I enjoyed riding it, but I much prefer the R1200RT for the weather protection, the torque and the improved fuel economy.

Hi, new to the Forum as I'm about to buy either the 1150RT or 1200RT. I realise the only way to be sure is to test ride them both, and I'll arrange that next week, but in the meantime how do they compare in terms of weather and wind protection? The 1150 looks as though it may be better .... is it? Thanks for any help.

Hi, I have done nearly 12,000 miles on my 12RT, and its much better then my 1150RT for weather protection, but like previously said the 1150 wasn't bad. It also seems much steadier in side winds.

BTW, welcome to the site

Steve Carter

What do folks dis-like??
The price!

This...from the King of Bling? eek.gifgrin.gif

Seriously...

Dislikes, probably painted bags and the missing knee protectors.

AFA accessories, the large trunk should be color matched for the price.

The tank bag is fine, but I liked my BigMak better.

That's about it for the dislikes, a pretty short list for me, anyway! thumbsup.gif

Survived-til-now

Hi,

I had a R1150RT for 50K miles and have now had my R1200RT for 8K miles. I think it is pretty much agreed by all who have one that the R1200RT is a completely different bike to its predecessor and on balance I would not want to go back to the 1150RT.

However, you raise the question of weather and wind protection. I found the screen on the 1150 a tadge low and got my helmet buffeted at speed. The 1200 is better in that respect.

Although the 1200's seat is narrower and is supposed to make for better ergonomics I have to say that the first time I rode the bike I realised why they have a heated seat option. The wind whips up to cool the legs and bum and in winter it can get pretty chilly whereas on the 1150 that wasn't a problem.

The heavier 1150 was undoubtedly more stable at high speed and in high winds. The 1200 is lighter and handles more like a sports tourer so when it is gusting it takes more effort to ride.

My big criticism is reserved for the 1200's aerodynamics which pulls all the crud of the road and deposits it all over the back of the bike and all up the back of my legs.

It is muddy wet roads over here and just one trip sees the rear number plate obscured. I now keep a watering can and brush outside the garage to clean off the back of the bike after every trip to work and I now wear a pair of waterproof over-trousers over my BMW Streeguard Trousers because it is easier to chuck them in the wash than the BMW trousers.

BMW's claim that the weather protection has been improved is a sick joke as far as I am concerned. All that said - I am otherwise delighted with the 1200 and won't go back....

Yes, looks are subjective, that's true. It's just that the 1200 is such a departure from the 1150 in styling, I have yet to warm up to it.

But beleive me, there's a reason I haven't test riden one yet, and it's not the looks...

thumbsup.gif

The rear fender extender is a reasonably cheap BM add on and does help reduce the quantity of "crud up the back". Doesn't eliminate it though.

Paul

Nah! no way, the r12 walk all over those old vibrators any time, like trying to compare a can of beans to a texas t/ bone or francis to seabiscit Hudo

Not much I do not love about this bike except, paying for the oil check and never ever gonna trust it, I am fine with the looks, it will turn heads everywhere it goes.

Oh, another dislike may be all the chats in my future with LEOs because compared to the 1100RT this is a much quicker and abler motorcycle.

Archived