IGNORED

GARMIN Street Pilot III vs. Street Pilot 2610

GearedForACure

GearedForACure

Can anyone tell me what the differences between these two items is? I think that the III is an older model, but what has really changed?

has anyone used both? Is the functionality different?

A few items of note difference: SP-III has battery in addition to bike power the 2610 does not. The 2610 use CF memory cards up to 2 gig which allows you to put the whole country plus some in the unit; the SP-III uses a proprietary 256K max memory card. The 2610 has a MUCH MUCH faster processor so re-computes are really quick. The SP-III can take 20 minutes for a major recompute. The 2610 has "soft" buttons that are programable; the SP-III does not. Bottom line, the 2610 is a significant improvement over the SP-III IMHO

The memory card for the Street Pilot are availble up to 256 meg, not k of memory. And after using one for over 3 years, it has never taken 20 minutes for a recalculation of a route.

I have a Street pilot III since 2001 and have been very satisfied with it. With updated software it got faster AND it became impossible to operate it while driving (if in motion it does not accept changes to route)

I just think it is a little big for my 1200RT and I am considering the Quest2. Any expereince with that one?

So shortly you can get a Streetpilot III for pocket change now and I am having only 32meg cards (2 of them) and they cover together in most cases 3-4 even 7 states and it is possible to leave some major cities out and get more covered. You load it via your PC and the new ones generally come preloaded (the smaller units)

with Garmin you cannot go wrong, I think and comparing to the one I have fixed in my car the Streetpilot is better.

Jerry Johnston

Actually I've noticed minor differences even between and older 2610 and a newer unit. The newer unit has a small rubber flap (held on by screw) that covers the antenna and usb sockets). Also I notice the literature on the 2610 says up to 2gb but I think that is because 4gb chips weren't available when the literature was written. I haven't tried a 4gb chip but chances are it'll read one.

Jerry Johnston

I found this site that compares three Garmins and copied this much to show you. You should visit the site to read comments made on each of the 3 units.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-Garmin_StreetPilot_2610~RD-169798831748

Garmin Streetpilot III Deluxe

- 3.4"W x 1.8"H (8.6 x 4.5 cm) (305 x 160 pixels), high-contrast, 16-color LCD with backlighting

- Pushbutton operation

- 12 Channel receiver (no WAAS)

- Internal non-rechargeable batteries

- Garmin's proprietary memory chip - 256 megs max

- 2000 trackpoint memory

Garmin 2610

- 3.3"W x 1.7"H (8.4 x 4.4 cm) 305 x 160 pixels bright, automotive-grade 8-bit, 256 color LCD w/automatic dimming backlight and touch screen; compatible with polarized sunglasse

- Touchscreen operation with infrared remote control

- 12 Channel receiver (with WAAS)

- No battery operation available

- Compactflash memory (up to 2 Gigabytes available today)

- 2000 trackpoint memory

- Faster processor

Garmin 276c

- 3.8-inch diagonal, 480 x 320 pixel, 256-color TFT screen with adjustable LED backlight

- Pushbutton operation

- 12 Channel receiver (with WAAS)

- Internal rechargeable LiOn batteries

- Garmin's proprietary memory chip - 256 megs max

- 10,000 trackpoint memory

- Faster processor

- Dual mode (Marine/Automotive)

nope, not getting rid of it as it still is good in the car especially for local driving. Would like not to have to download for every trip but have preloaded but am afraid that Quest2 still is a compromise comapred to 276 and 376. Have fixed unit on boat so cannot combine with that use either.

I will still wait a few weeks and hope they would come down in price as it still is a nice to have not must.

with updated software it got faster AND it became impossible to operate it while driving

There is a "Safe Mode" that is enabled by default, if you turn that off you can operate while driving (although if you crash into a liquor store don't quote me).

You'll need to compare it to a 2610 or 276C to redefine your definition of "faster" ... the collective here have seen instances of 2+ minutes for a recalculation in complicated geography on the SPIII. The worst you'll see on the newer units is 10 seconds, and most often routes are calculated in one or two seconds.

I'm not an electrical whiz but I have owned both (currently the 2610) The SP III is decent and if your on a budget they can be had at a decent price. Personally I would never go back to the SP III but that's after using the 2610. The speed difference is remarkable. The entire USA can be installed on a cheap 2gb compacflash card. The ability to customize the display and other items on the 2610 is a really nice feature. If you don't have a GPS then the SP III will seem like a nice unit but don't borrow a 2610 from anyone or you'll wish you would have spent the $500.00 to begin with.

Also I notice the literature on the 2610 says up to 2gb but I think that is because 4gb chips weren't available when the literature was written. I haven't tried a 4gb chip but chances are it'll read one.

The SP2610 will only support up to 2 GB CompacFlash memory cards.

This is because it uses FAT (not FAT32) which has a max size of 2 GB

Eckhard Grohe

Can anyone comment on the difference in readability of the screens of the 2 units. I am thinking of either up or down grading my 2610 because the screen is hard(impossible) to read in the bright sunlight. What about the voice prompting?.. Do both have it?

Is there a 2610 with a LCd screen???

The 2610 is a much better unit, much faster easier to use than the original streetpilot. Unfortunately, it is difficult to see in the sunlight. I am told the the new 2720 does not have this problem, plus it offers more features and can actually describe the name of the street/hiway of the next turn to take. Does anyone need a 2610?

I just got the newer model the 2730.....it's FANTASTIC... adjustable contrast...or automatic if you choose, pre;oaded country map, very easy to use, traffic report, weather, and MP3 if you get XM.....of which all the hardware comes with.

I had the (2) 2620's ...this is even easier to use.......and it has the critical vehicle info screen.....miles ridden, speed, avd speed, miles to go etc. I LUV IT!

Archived