IGNORED

Oil for R1200RT

aggieengineer

aggieengineer

I just took delivery of this bike and was looking for a non-synthetic MA-rated oil to have on hand for the first change. BMW recommends Castrol in the owner's manual but they apparently don't produce such a product. Any recommendations?

I just took delivery of this bike and was looking for a non-synthetic MA-rated oil to have on hand for the first change. BMW recommends Castrol in the owner's manual but they apparently don't produce such a product. Any recommendations?

BMW branded oil.

Is castrol GP mineral or synthetic?

GPS is semi-synthetic oil to SAE 10W-40, API SG, JASO MA and is what my dealer uses when servicing. I have used it in both my R1150RTs and see no reason to change.

Castrol GP is a mineral oil available as SAE 10W-40 and 20W-50, API SG, JASO MA and meets the specs for the bike.

Castrol Act>evo $t is a mineral oil with a special additive pack for short journey use and meets SAE 10W-40, API SG, JASO MA

Castrol R4 Superbike is fully synthetic to SAE 5W-40 (can be used where 10W-40 is advised) API SG, JASO MA.

Full details available here.

You will notice that Castrol specifically mention that motorcycle oils are designes to permit their use in combined engine/clutch/gearbox applications, that does not apply to you BMW.

You will notice that all of Castrols motorcycle oils meet the same API and JASO specs, and like Ed says your bike can't read, so put in whatever shakes your tree.

No affiliations etc.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Cheers Andy.

I heard from a mate who runs a R12GS that a lot of guys are running 20w 50 and are finding that oil consumption is dramatically reduced.

Worth a try maybe?

Archived