IGNORED

Aux light mounting locations?

Voyager

Any state laws or other implications of mounting additional lights above vs. below the headlight? Time to mount my PIAAs & was looking at these but seem to remember a legal discussion of above vs. below.

The EMP brackets mount the lights high and that is the most effective location for driving lights. Mounting lights in this location may be technically illegal in some states but I doubt very much that you'd ever experience a problem... unless you came across a very bored LEO. I believe the intent of the these laws is to control uncovered lights on rooftop light bars on cars & trucks and I would find it hard to believe that anyone would pick on you because your lights are 1" above the mirrors on a motorcycle.

I was thinking of fabricating something like these to place the mount a little more forward and level with the headlight. Still mounted high, but without sticking so obviously above the mirror line. Thoughts?

Any state laws or other implications of mounting additional lights above vs. below the headlight? Time to mount my PIAAs & was looking at these but seem to remember a legal discussion of above vs. below.

I think its hit or miss when you show up at the inspections station..

I've had guys make me take lights off before they let me pass.. and then I have had some women who didnt say anything......

I lived in Newpie for like 6 years... Attended Salve for 4 of them... Boy do I miss summers up there.....

I was thinking of fabricating something like these to place the mount a little more forward and level with the headlight. Still mounted high, but without sticking so obviously above the mirror line. Thoughts?

Yeah, go with the EMP brackets. You don't have to futz around with fabricating something, they bolt right onto the bike, they're solid as a rock, and they're made by our own Pat Patterson (USAF1), who could use a few bux right now to help with his septic tank issues. thumbsup.gif

1)Does anyone know what kind of lights will mount with those $99 EMP brackets? 2)With lights mounted above the mirrors- does this result in only being able to run the lights in conjunction with the high beam when no traffic is oncoming? In other words, if you put some sort of Hella lights with those EMP brackets above the mirrors, can you drive with your low beam on at night in conjunction with say Hella driving lights? I thought I read a few posts where it said those mirror-mounted lights are good for when there is no oncoming traffic (say on a country road) and you turn them on with your high beam to light up the night.

1) Can't give you a definitive answer on what will mount on the EMP brackets, but I would guess that most any 5" diameter or less lights would be no problem.

2) If you are mounting lights with a driving or pencil beam, designed to light up the distance better then you should wire them to the high beam. Powerful lights, mounted high and aimed at the distance will be very blinding to oncoming traffic. If you want lights to run with your low beam to a) increase your conspicuity and/or b) light up the edges of the road better, you would be better served by mounting lower power and broad beamed "fog" lights low such as Motolights or Martin fender mount brackets. These could be run in conjunction with your low beam without being a hazard.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I looked up state laws before deciding where/what lights to mount to my bike. I have PIAA 1400 fogs below the oil cooler, and PIAA 1100's above the mirrors. The law here limits vehicles to four forward-facing white lights lit at the same time, so I'm illegal when I go to hi-beams (that's when the 1100's over the mirrors come on, along with fogs and main) - but really, I only do this when there are no other cars around, and as others have alluded, most LEO's probably won't trouble you.

Michigan also says no lights above a certain height - which IIRC was just above my main headlight. So my 1100's are illegal on this count too.

I think some states actually limit the number of lights that can be present on the bike, regardless of whether they're lit or not. Again, I don't think you'd have trouble unless you're blinding people with them. If you do get stopped for something else while passing through such a state, and the LEO notices your illegal light configuration, it could be anything from a fine, to making you remove the offending lights, to just a pledge not to use them while in his state.

Since you'll likely be doing most of your riding in your home state, I'd check the laws there. head for the library and ask the librarian to help you find the book containing vehicle lighting regulations.

I lived in Newpie for like 6 years... Attended Salve for 4 of them... Boy do I miss summers up there.....
I noticed you didn't say winters. grin.gif

Yea, my family has really enjoyed our short time here. I do miss the California riding season though. bncry.gif

Thanks for the info.

Since you'll likely be doing most of your riding in your home state, I'd check the laws there.

I'm glad to hear the laws from different states. For the forseable future the Army gets to pick which state is my home, an option they have exercised with almost anual regularity for 14 years. That's why I enjoy the input from this forum so much, both nationally and internationally.

FWIW...Interesting and quite possibly ridiculous that many states don't require helmets, but regulate the number/location of forward facing lights. god forbid an oncoming motorist may have too much glare while munching fries, sipping coffee and dialing the cellphone as we approach. bncry.gif

1)Does anyone know what kind of lights will mount with those $99 EMP brackets? 2)With lights mounted above the mirrors- does this result in only being able to run the lights in conjunction with the high beam when no traffic is oncoming? In other words, if you put some sort of Hella lights with those EMP brackets above the mirrors, can you drive with your low beam on at night in conjunction with say Hella driving lights? I thought I read a few posts where it said those mirror-mounted lights are good for when there is no oncoming traffic (say on a country road) and you turn them on with your high beam to light up the night.
There is plenty of clearance so I would guess you could run just about anything you wanted to on the EMP brackets, and as David mentioned they are rock solid. Hella FF50's are a popular choice because they put a lot of light down the road, their oval-ish shape looks good on the 1100/1150RT, and they're priced right and use standard H7 bulbs. I have mine setup to turn on with the high beam, but I did put a switch on the dash so I can disable them when in heavier traffic conditions as they are quite bright.

1. The EMP brackets are't drilled for any light mounts and have a horizontal flat surface, so you should be able to mount just about anything on them. Many lights mount with one bolt, some lights mount with two bolts, just drill the proper holes. As far as size, you have a lot of room to work with. I have Hella FF200s mounted on my bike which are 5" high x 5.6" wide and there's plenty of clearance. See here for a picture. You could probably go with most any light up to about 6" diameter - and anything bigger than that you'll be killing your gas mileage from wind resistance anyway.

2. Whether you can have the lights on depends as much on the kind of lights you have as on the mounting. If you have driving pattern lights, you'll blind oncoming traffic no matter if they're high or low. (High might actually be a bit less obnoxious because you can point them down slightly and get the same beam throw). If you wnat a fog-pattern light, it should be mounted as low as possible to shine on the road and not the fog, but a high-mounted fog pattern beam properly aimed should be less obnoxious to oncoming drivers than a driving pattern beam (fog = flat and wide, driving = narrow and focussed).

The law here limits vehicles to four forward-facing white lights lit at the same time, so I'm illegal when I go to hi-beams (that's when the 1100's over the mirrors come on, along with fogs and main) - but really, I only do this when there are no other cars around, and as others have alluded, most LEO's probably won't trouble you.

Michigan also says no lights above a certain height - which IIRC was just above my main headlight. So my 1100's are illegal on this count too.

I think some states actually limit the number of lights that can be present on the bike, regardless of whether they're lit or not.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00946.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Okay, I did a search and read there is no conversion table for watts to candlepower and that candlepower hasn't been used as a rating since 1948 (thanks alot AZ legislature). So...does anyone actually know the candlepower rating of both 35 and 55 watt foglights ??

TIA

I suppose you could always get a bunch of candles, a light meter and....

No. I have no idea. I buy spotlights with 1million candlepower & they seem pretty bright. dopeslap.gif

Pretty funny the law is written that way. If it was a manufacturer I would say it was a marketing ploy to make dim bulbs seem brighter.

Okay, I did a search and read there is no conversion table for watts to candlepower and that candlepower hasn't been used as a rating since 1948 (thanks alot AZ legislature). So...does anyone actually know the candlepower rating of both 35 and 55 watt foglights ??

TIA

Good news, bad news - there is no conversion. It depends upon the type of bulb. HID's (XENON) put out much more candlepower per watt. Different bulbs/systems will have different efficiencies. Nice to see our government keeping up with technology! tongue.gif

Greg

Maine lumps fog and driving lights together. Here's what our statutes say about mounting them:

§1909-A. Fog lights

1. Fog lights. A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lights upon the front of the motor vehicle that emit amber or white light as long as the rays from the lights do not shine more than 2 feet above the road at a distance of 30 feet. A fog light mounted higher than the center of the main headlights may not be illuminated while a motor vehicle is being operated on a public way. [2003, c. 340, §3 (new).]

Archived