IGNORED

Tranny doesn't downshift well, goes grrrrrrrrind! HELP!

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Well, my 1999 R1100RT finally protested to being left in the garage for long periods of time. I fired it up yesterday after leaving it in the garage for over a month. Rolled out of the driveway and punched through a couple of gears, got to the end of road and started to TRY to downshift. I might as well have tried to stand on the shifter, cause it took that much force. What do I hear as I am doing this? Griiiiiiiiiiiiiind! crazy.gifbncry.gif

I figure, maybe it's just a bit tight from sitting, so I keep going. But, the condition persists and never gets any better from morning to the ride back home from work in the afternoon. The condition varies as you come back down through the gears. It gets progressively worse from 5 to 4th to 3rd and so on. You can't get it into second without being almost at 5-10 mph and 1st is impossible unless at a dead stop. Even then it takes some work by letting out the clutch and keeping your had on the brake while pushing on the shifter. I have not pulled the fluid yet, but will ASAP. I was going to last night but things got away from me.

Of course I fear the worst, but I am open to other ideas. Another factor is that I just did a spline lube in November and have only put about 900 miles on the bike since. It seemed to work fine the last time I road the bike, but now its FUBAR. Your ideas and opinions on this are greatly appreciated. Please PM me for my paypal address for the "Save the RT Transmission" fund (SO KIDDING!). crazy.gifeek.gifbncry.gif

Shawn

The first thing to check is the shifter linkage

I'll second that.Spline lube done in what state ??? Hmmm...... grin.gif.

If you don't find anything on the linkage,bring it up to the junkyard,we can shift some of the mess and find some room to work......got plenty of extra parts.. grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
The first thing to check is the shifter linkage. If it's loose, it'll act like this. Start with the simple, cheap things. smile.gif

Crap, why didn't I think of that? blush.gif Yes, I had the same problem a couple of years ago after some maintenance. The bolt that fastens the pivot to the footpeg plate came loose, and completely screwed up shifting behavior similar to what you're experiencing: downshifts OK (but not great) in higher gears, but just about impossible to get all the way down to first gear. I stopped at the end of the highway offramp, dug out a wrench and fixed it.

Yup, check the shifter. Not just that adjustment bolt at the footpeg plate, but the ball/socket joints along the rest of the linkage (behind the fp plate).

Lone_RT_rider
The first thing to check is the shifter linkage. If it's loose, it'll act like this. Start with the simple, cheap things. smile.gif

Crap, why didn't I think of that? blush.gif Yes, I had the same problem a couple of years ago after some maintenance. The bolt that fastens the pivot to the footpeg plate came loose, and completely screwed up shifting behavior similar to what you're experiencing: downshifts OK (but not great) in higher gears, but just about impossible to get all the way down to first gear. I stopped at the end of the highway offramp, dug out a wrench and fixed it.

Yup, check the shifter. Not just that adjustment bolt at the footpeg plate, but the ball/socket joints along the rest of the linkage (behind the fp plate).

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! This could be possible. When we did the spline lube/clutch replacement all of that linkage was off the bike. We have a after work social get-together tonight and if I am not to full of Sewer-Diver Stout I will check this when I get home. Then again, maybe its best left until Friday night.... crazy.gif

Shawn

Todd, are you suggesting that this may be a JorJuh problem? tongue.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Todd, are you suggesting that this may be a JorJuh problem? tongue.gif

I think he's talking about the state of confusion. We were all going a little crazy that day! grin.gif

Shawn

Todd, are you suggesting that this may be a JorJuh problem?

I was just checking to see if anyone in JorJuh is paying attention. grin.gif

What...................Huh??!!

Oh nevermind!

What...................Huh??!!

Oh nevermind!

Go back to sleep, Chris. I've got everything under control. wink.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Checked all the bolts on the on the plate and all of the linkage including the bolt that holds the ball socket in place at the transmission. All but one were fine. The adjustment bolt at the transmission was loose enough that I could loosen it with my fingers. I tightened everything up and it seems to be better in the garage. I had 3 beers tonight so I am not getting on the bike until tomorrow to do the final check. I will post when I get to work and tell everyone how it worked out.

Shawn

hmmm... first thing i thought of was a dragging clutch or worn syncros. with the clutch, the cable may have stretched some but more likely it may be about to break. the cable will pull out at the lever considerably before letting loose causing drag, then no clutch. does it pull while at a stop or grind from neutral to first? j

Lone_RT_rider
hmmm... first thing i thought of was a dragging clutch or worn syncros. with the clutch, the cable may have stretched some but more likely it may be about to break. the cable will pull out at the lever considerably before letting loose causing drag, then no clutch. does it pull while at a stop or grind from neutral to first? j

The first thing I did was gently pull in the clutch at speed with throttle applied to check out the release point. It's so close to perfect it's not even funny. The clutch is working perfectly.

After tightening the shifter assembly at the adjustment bolt last night I rode the bike into work. That did the trick! Its back to it's normal old clunky (god love it!) self. thumbsup.gifclap.gifgrin.gif

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
Good for you. grin.gif You must have been in too much of a hurry to get to the BBQ at that last Tech Day. dopeslap.gif

Either that or I was so tired that I could barely hold a wrench at that point. I added up the working hours spent on a spline lube and clutch replacement. We did the whole thing in about 6 hours total. I have to put the emphasis on "we". I had tons of help from every direction and it was greatly appreciated! If I never said thanks, I am now. I am really bad about saying thank you. While I am on that subject, thanks Scottie for the wonderful BBQ you put on that day. It was definitely a great time!

Shawn

Archived