IGNORED

Alterenator Belt

jbh

How long do most people wait until they change it? I have 36K on the bike and asked the dealer. They said most wait until 40-50K to change it. Based upon the prior service records I think I have the original belt, plus it looks like the original but it is still tight. I have all the plastic off right now while I am doing my 36k service.

russell_bynum
I think it's 36K miles.

At least that is what I do mine at on both bikes. So far they all come off looking almost new.

Stan

Hmmm...Yeah, now that I think about it, that sounds more like it.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Spec is 36K miles. Some folks have gone longer, some folks have not made it that far. My first belt self-destructed at 35K, second one was splitting after 25K. I tried tightening a bit tighter than the spec'd 8 N*m (on the tension adjuster), and the third belt made it 36K no problem.

There are belts out there that will go a ridiculously long way before breaking; most will not go that far. The farther you go with it, the more likely it is to fail in service.

I would suggest you change it out. Replacing a belt by the side of the road when you're trying to get somewhere is a lot more difficult than changing it in your garage when you've made time to do it. (but you should still consider carrying a spare belt under your seat.)

Switch it and keep the old one as a spare...if you are already that far into the bike (plastic off) their is no reason to try and save a few bucks now...mine split at 18K and I suspect it is getting ready to go again....

Joe Frickin' Friday
Switch it and keep the old one as a spare...

Personal preference, I guess, but if I have to change a belt by the side of the road, I don't want to have to change it again when I get home (to put a brand new one in). I'd rather have a new belt as a spare.

Switch it and keep the old one as a spare...

Personal preference, I guess, but if I have to change a belt by the side of the road, I don't want to have to change it again when I get home (to put a brand new one in). I'd rather have a new belt as a spare.

I with Mitch on this one. For $12-16,= I am not putting an old belt back on the bike and have it go 500 miles down the road. YMMV

Spec, Schmeck...Why not just leave a sleeping dog lie, and wait until you absolutely, positively MUST change it. Like, say at 2:30 on Christmas morning, in the middle of downtown D.C., with ice all around. Yeah, that would be fun grin.gif My theory is that if you carry a spare, you won't ever need it.

I have 90,000 miles on my RS, and the current belt has been on for 48,000 miles. But then, I'm stoopid.

What Mitch said for sure

I have replaced 2 in 70k thats kilometers thats less than 44k mls.The first one finished up on the road after knocking a hole in the front cover. I had a spare,still not much fun on the side of the road.

Second one I caught early it just had a few bits missing.

On a bit trip I carry a spare crown wheel bearing and seal 2

Coz I been there and done that to on the side of the road.

regards Jacko

if your belt breaks while riding you have nothing BUT time to change it by the side of the road. i inspected mine and it looked new. bike has 44k and i would imagine it has been changed. i always keep former belt for a spare if it looks good in other vehicles. j

I've been carrying a spare around for a year or more. When I checked at 42,000 miles, it looked good as new. However, the bike now has 52,000 and I will put on the new one before it hits the road in the spring.

Archived