IGNORED

Can you retrofit heated seat to a R1200RT?

pbsaz

I searched this site for "heated seat" and couldn't find a thread where this topic was discussed. Rather than wait until an '06R1200RT came with a heated seat I went ahead and purchased an '05 that was on the floor so I could ride it home that night.

I know I can order a Corbin heated seat but what I really want to know is whether it's possible and economically feasable to retrofit a BMW heated seat to a bike that didn't come from the factory with this option. I've seen two heated seats for sale so it got me to thinking about it.

Thanks

Philip

I`m not sure of the costs but it can be done. The bikes wire harnesses are the same with or without the option.

You would need to get the seat and switch for sure. You might need to have the IP module re-flashed. The connectors are on the harness. It`s a basic plug and play.

I might be wrong, but think it would be difficult, at best.

I recently bought a 2005 R12RT from a dealer in another state. It was supposed to have a heated seat, but I took delivery from the shipper without checking that.

A week or so later, blush.gif I was switching to the low seat and noticed my low seat didn't have any wires to connect the heating element to the bike and that the heated seat (yep, it a wire) didn't have a place to plug into the bike. After that, I checked and realized I didn't have the heated seat switch on the handlebar. dopeslap.gif

The dealer was excellent and refunded a portion of my cost. Having a heated seat wasn't a deal-breaker to me, so I'm not complaining. But, since the dealer said he couldn't fix it from a distance, and the fix would seem to involve replacing a handlebar along with adding the wiring, adding a BMW heated seat would probably be a major modification.

Jim

Speaking of seats for a R1200Rt, does anyone have experence with Bill Mayer 'Day Long' Seats ?

Also, should I go leather or vi. ? Or any other replacement seat options would be helpfull. I am new to BMW, and need to know from all you exp BMW guys.

Yes, its heated, sorry to hear the other stories.

Thanks

dave albany NY

Speaking of seats for a R1200Rt, does anyone have experence with Bill Mayer 'Day Long' Seats ?

Also, should I go leather or vi. ? Or any other replacement seat options would be helpfull. I am new to BMW, and need to know from all you exp BMW guys.

Yes, its heated, sorry to hear the other stories.

Thanks

dave albany NY

Just to clear up custom seat makers identity. "DayLong" is a trade name for Russell DayLong saddles. "Bill Mayer" seats are made by Rocky Mayer, son of the deceased Bill Mayer. Bill Mayer's other son, Rick Mayer, has his own seat building business. Just to confuse things more, The Russell DayLong seat design was originally done by Bill Mayer many years ago, and sold to the Russells with the DayLong name.
I really want to know is whether it's possible and economically feasable to retrofit a BMW heated seat to a bike that didn't come from the factory with this option.

It is possible, but I can't tell you how economically feasible it might be because it was included as part of a larger deal. My '06 RT didn't come from the factory with heated seats, but my dealer added the capability after the fact. They used a seat pan from a bike that did have the option and made the necessary modifications to the rest of the bike. If your dealer can't figure out how to do it, send me a PM and I'll put you in contact with the service department that did the work on mine.

In order to install heated-seat, you need to swap your right combination switch with heater switch on it. The switch itself would cost you around $350 I think. I paid 250,000 JPN yen for both fornt/rear heated seats and a combo switch. Dealer covered the labor....

In order to install heated-seat, you need to swap your right combination switch with heater switch on it. The switch itself would cost you around $350 I think. I paid 250,000 JPN yen for both fornt/rear heated seats and a combo switch. Dealer covered the labor....

Just got a quote here in Colorado - $1325. eek.gif This includes, seats, combo switch, and "a lot of labor".

To put this in perspective, I was looking at buying an '05 12RT without heated seats versus an '06 "demo" with heated seats and other unwanted accessories. Originally the dealer was looking at eating the cost of installing the heated seats to move the '05 but that ain't happenin'. Now they're working numbers to get me onto the '06. With a little luck I'll be on an almost new (700 miles) bike this weekend! clap.gif

Greg

The russell seats come highly recommended from others on this site, although i have no personal experience. They are made to fit height weight and inseam. I have used the Corbin heated seat on my GS and found it to be very comfortable for 400 miles at a stretch. Disadvantage is it wires directly to battery, so it doesnt turn off when u turn off ignition. Corbin is not custom made to height weight and inseam, but I did not see any difference. I used a corbin on my wing as well and found it very comfortable. It would definitely be easier than trading for a whole new bike, although i like the new bike idea just fine.

I posed the question to BMW via their website. Here's the response I got. I also asked the dealer and they said it couldn't be done. If it's around $1,300 I'm less interested.

"Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your new 2005 BMW R

1200 RT. Congratulations on your new purchase.

The heated seat is an accessory that can be added to your motorcycle

with one specific difference. The heated seats that are available as

accessories are the low seat version. There are two different colors:

-Black

-Gray

We do not show a listing for the normal heated seat in the accessories

listing. Please contact your BMW center for information about

retrofitting the factory heated seat.

If you have any other questions, please contact BMW Motorrad USA via

e-mail or telephone at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday

through Friday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,

BMW Motorrad USA"

The heated seats that are available as

accessories are the low seat version.

I'm a bit confused. BMW of NA says this can be purchased, but your dealer told you it couldn't be retrofitted?

I took delivery of my 05 R12RT in October, and then had a heated-seat installed in December.(by the local BMW dealer in Tokyo) The low seat version of course.. I'm about 5-04 with 31 inseam. I guess we Asians have some advantage....

My dealer here in Ireland, Joe Duffy Motors must be a lot smarter than your people in the US!!!! I had a normal height heated seat retro fitted to my RT recently, no problem! clap.gif

I had a normal height heated seat retro fitted to my RT recently, no problem! clap.gif

I juset checked with BMW ETK, and found the heated seats are available for both normal and low hight versions.

Since part#s are there to be ordered, I'm wondering if someone in the states is brave enough to give it a try!!? thumbsup.gif

SEAT HEATED, FRONT SCHWARZ --- 52537683654

SEAT HEATED, FRONT GRAU ------ 52537693039

SEAT HEATED, REAR SCHWARZ ---- 52537683652

SEAT HEATED, REAR GRAU ------- 52537693042

SEAT LOW HEATED FRONT SCHWARZ - 52537683648

SEAT LOW HEATED FRONT GRAU ---- 52537693040

Archived