IGNORED

Un 2014 Dates!

Lester V

Book your 2014 Holidays now.

When? June 16 - 19, 2014. (Monday through Thursday morning), mid-June 2014 was picked to avoid the summer rates, the summer crush and excessive heat traveling to/from. The Unrally takes in three weekdays, leaving the weekends before and after for travel to/from.

Note: The group supper is planned for Wednesday the 18th.

As Fernando mentioned earlier- The “Potlatch (celebration) on the Palouse” UnRally will be located in the Pullman, WA / Moscow, ID area. If you wish to read more about the Palouse region, here is the WikiPedia link

The exact location (city and the hotel) will be posted at a later date along with a registration link which will be required before you can book the hotel.

The plan is to have us all in the same hotel location. Camping options are still being worked on.

Posted on behalf of the Un planning crew.

Great, Lester! Thanks. Now that we have firm dates, everyone can start scheduling their time off and making sure they can get to the event.

#1 - I plan on being there. :clap:

Palouse WA

i-DZWsJQN-XL.jpg

Just as stunning under a full moon. As a student in Pullman my mates and I would cross country ski directly from our apartment into the fields. I'm looking forward to this Homecoming.

Rattlesnake Grade north of Enterprise, OR (OR3/WA129) headed down to the Grande Ronde River crossing:

Rattlesnake1_sm.jpg

Mike Cassidy

Another road to add to my list for next summer!

Perhaps someone could start a post under "Must Roads on Your Way to Unrally XIII". I just may enjoy the planning over the winter as much as the ride next summer. :thumbsup:

Endobobdds, I agree with you about the planning being ALMOST as much fun as the ride. Since you will be coming from the east, I'll throw out a couple of suggestions for the western portion of the U.S. as you approach the Palouse. Of course, it depends upon how much time you want to take and whether you've already ridden some of the roads before - although I've ridden several of them 10+ times and still enjoy them.

South Dakota - any time you are able to spend in the Black Hills is worthwhile. Hot Springs then north on 385 to Custer and Deadwood will give you a glimpse of some fun roads.

Wyoming - Sheridan then west on 14 (Alt) to Lovell then Cody and north on 296 over the Dead Indian Pass (stop at the top and take some pictures). Turn north-east on 212 to Red Lodge to take in the Beartooth Pass. Certainly not the direct route, but worth the extra time if you enjoy twisties.

Montana - Numerous options for heading west from Red Lodge that will be dictated by how much time you have. The goal you are working toward is the town of Lolo (just south of Missoula) where you will take Highway 12 - the famous Lolo Pass. You'll see the sign WINDING ROAD FOR THE NEXT 99 MILES as you start down the Lochsa river into Idaho.

Idaho - I suggest turning off Highway 12 at Orofino and taking the old Ahsahka grade - 7 & P1 to Kendrick then north on 99 to Troy, but these roads are likely to show up on the day-ride routes that will be posted after the Registration page is up.

Hope this helps give you some ideas. Feel free to PM or ask for more info if you want it.

Endobobdds, I agree with you about the planning being ALMOST as much fun as the ride. Since you will be coming from the east, I'll throw out a couple of suggestions for the western portion of the U.S. as you approach the Palouse. Of course, it depends upon how much time you want to take and whether you've already ridden some of the roads before - although I've ridden several of them 10+ times and still enjoy them.

South Dakota - any time you are able to spend in the Black Hills is worthwhile. Hot Springs then north on 385 to Custer and Deadwood will give you a glimpse of some fun roads.

Wyoming - Sheridan then west on 14 (Alt) to Lovell then Cody and north on 296 over the Dead Indian Pass (stop at the top and take some pictures). Turn north-east on 212 to Red Lodge to take in the Beartooth Pass. Certainly not the direct route, but worth the extra time if you enjoy twisties.

Montana - Numerous options for heading west from Red Lodge that will be dictated by how much time you have. The goal you are working toward is the town of Lolo (just south of Missoula) where you will take Highway 12 - the famous Lolo Pass. You'll see the sign WINDING ROAD FOR THE NEXT 99 MILES as you start down the Lochsa river into Idaho.

Idaho - I suggest turning off Highway 12 at Orofino and taking the old Ahsahka grade - 7 & P1 to Kendrick then north on 99 to Troy, but these roads are likely to show up on the day-ride routes that will be posted after the Registration page is up.

Hope this helps give you some ideas. Feel free to PM or ask for more info if you want it.

+1

...South Dakota - any time you are able to spend in the Black Hills is worthwhile. Hot Springs then north on 385 to Custer and Deadwood will give you a glimpse of some fun roads.

Black Hills are fantastic - have ridden 385 along with 87, & 16A but need to do them again.

Did Beartooth Pass west to east and back west before heading east across Chief Joseph Hwy (296) coming back east 3 years ago. Need to ride them again next summer.

Idaho - I suggest turning off Highway 12 at Orofino and taking the old Ahsahka grade - 7 & P1 to Kendrick then north on 99 to Troy

These will all be new for me and will be sure to include on my route. Thank you for the suggestions! :thumbsup:

This describes one of my favorite routes, I've done it as a full circle several times on my bike and also in a cage. If I'm going west, I first take 14 through the Bighorns. When the road splits, you can take 14 to Greybull, or Alt14 to Lovell. Both ways are beautiful.

From there, I go north on 310, then over to Red Lodge to do the Beartooth Pass southwest to the start of 296/Chief Joseph Highway. From there, I go south to Cody. If you have the time, stop at the "Buffalo Bill Center of the West." It's a world-class museum, not a tourist-trap. I could spend days there, it's that good.

Unfortunately, although Cody is a cool town, lodging rates seem to have gone through the roof in recent years, if you can find a room at all. I think it's due to all the oil workers staying at area motels. The last time I went through, I did find a nice little place about 35 miles from Cody, by the "Smith Mansion," near Yellowstone Park.

From there, spend some time in Yellowstone, then go north to Glacier NP. (see Caddis/MrsCaddis wonderful post in Ride Tales)

Beartooth Pass:

IMG_0530-L.jpg

Chief Joseph Highway:

IMG_0548-L.jpg

Chief Joseph Highway:

IMG_0557-L.jpg

Chief Joseph Highway:

IMG_0562-L.jpg

Nice photos!

Have ridden it both ways and would ride it again. Breath taking views from the high places.

The fire tower is a worthy side trip. Easily done on the RT. 360 degree views for miles.

If I'm going west, I first take 14 through the Bighorns. When the road splits, you can take 14 to Greybull, or Alt14 to Lovell. Both ways are beautiful.

We did 14/14a to Lovell several years ago and it is quite a ride. The day we rode it (September) there was a light drizzle falling on the eastern side of the Bighorns. About the time we leveled off near the top it had turned to a wet snow. Before we made the crest I was riding in a wheel track from the car in front of me with probably 1/2 inch of snow on the road. As soon as we hit the crest and started down everything cleared and we were riding in 70F by the time we wound to the bottom. One of my more "sphincter puckering rides". :grin:

I think this is a great location, a little far from Cincinnati, but great nevertheless. We have family in Spokane and have ridden in this area many times. Never saw the Palouse green like in the picture, though. Usually saw it right after harvest. There are some great things to see; I think Mt. St. Helens is a day trip away. Also, the Columbia River Gorge. I have ridden US 12 from Lewiston to Lolo, Mt many times; it is just a stunning ride along the Lochsa River and others. I can't wait and the spouse is interested, too.

Remember, June 16 is early in the year and at high elevations temperature and conditions are unpredictable. One of my rides to Spokane we rode in tracks in the snow of a truck on US95 out of Yellowstone.

Larry

I think this is a great location, a little far from Cincinnati, but great nevertheless. We have family in Spokane and have ridden in this area many times. Never saw the Palouse green like in the picture, though. Usually saw it right after harvest. There are some great things to see; I think Mt. St. Helens is a day trip away. Also, the Columbia River Gorge. I have ridden US 12 from Lewiston to Lolo, Mt many times; it is just a stunning ride along the Lochsa River and others. I can't wait and the spouse is interested, too.

Remember, June 16 is early in the year and at high elevations temperature and conditions are unpredictable. One of my rides to Spokane we rode in tracks in the snow of a truck on US95 out of Yellowstone.

Larry

Tis true the higher elevations could have some snow. The off road crowd could have more fun than the pavement crew.

Tis true the higher elevations could have some snow. The off road crowd could have more fun than the pavement crew.

We usually do.....we just don't like to brag :grin:

The Oregon BMW is usually on Fathers Day which I believe would be the Thurs -Sunday before the Monday Un. The Oregon rally is in John Day which has some good riding in all directions, the camping is a nice venue. It is just a short run up the road through some v nice country to the Un.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my RT with one long standing goal in mind...well two really, but the main one is to ride across the country from NY to the West Coast. The other involves Alaska, but that is another thread some day. That being said, the chance to meet up with some of the people here at my first BMW type rally AND ride across the country while my kids are still in school (less guilt) would be too hard to pass up....

.... the chance to meet up with some of the people here at my first BMW type rally AND ride across the country while my kids are still in school (less guilt) would be too hard to pass up....

The ride across country and the fellowship and riding with BMWST board members will be a experience you will never forget! :thumbsup:

Look forward to meeting you.

Lone_RT_rider

That's BS, you guys constantly brag about it.

I wouldn't call it bragging...Maybe they're just celebrating that they make it back to civilization :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider

I wouldn't call it bragging...Maybe they're just celebrating that they make it back to civilization :thumbsup:

So they have been on your "street" routes before? :grin::rofl:

I haven't been to Pullman since graduating in 1974. Hey, I wonder if the Rathskeller Bar is still in Moscow?

mmmm, I know I have that 8 - track of "A Horse with No Name" around here somewhere...........

See you in June.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steptoe Butte is a short 25 or so miles N. of Pullman. Spectacular views of the Palouse & into Idaho. Would make a great after dinner sunset ride.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that we're fairly well sorted out in our new U.S. home, it's time to turn my attention to the feasibility of heading out west for this year's UnRally.

It is in the works. Trust me I know somebody who might know somebody who smokes the green and that is what they think.

The cheque is in the mail and the cows come home friday.

Archived