IGNORED

Seen anything noteworthy on 1 to 3 wheels lately?

Kathy R

Same here. I looked at the thing from various angles, and my reaction was WTF? I'd love to look at the underside to understand how the power train works; seems like it makes a radial engine simple in comparison. The one I saw was parked next to a McLaren.

The Google campus is a somewhat other-worldly experience. Not many people over 40, with a significant number running around wearing Google Glass headsets. Mini tutorials for improving coding taped to the walls above the urinals. Heated toilet seats. Unlimited free food at various cafeterias, but almost nobody is overweight. Sugared, caffeinated beverages are almost impossible to find. Makes me wish I was 45 years older, and in a position to submit a job application.

P1030084.JPG

One of these was parked outside a meeting room in the Googleplex today:

conference-bike-1_48.jpg

It's called a "conference bike."

Those have been around for some time now in several variations - here's where they appear to have begun:

CoBis

I've never tried one, but I've wanted to since I first saw a pic of one online.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on the way home from work yesterday. I wish I could have got a better look, but barely had time to grab my phone and snap a pic. Looks interesting

null_zps01a9185f.jpg

The yellow one above reminded me of the Lit C-1. Not exactly a new idea, but I'll be interested to see if this variant has more success than it's predecessors...

c101.jpg

I've tried Segways, but that Rino looks like a lot more fun! Very cool.

Those Rynos make the news every once in awhile here in Portland when they have one for "testing" (or maybe publicity). They definitely look more fun than a Segway.

DSCF0675.jpg

Peraves Monotracer, the original "enclosed" bike. They originally used K100 engine but now use K1200LT units. Incredibly expensive vehicle...

DSCF0683.jpg

Sidecross MX... the passenger on these things must be a certified lunatic given the antics these teams perform.

DSCF2800_zps911dbc45-1.jpg

Spotted on the Col de Vars a few years back...

DSCF0151.jpg

An ill fated attempt to bring 500GP two stroke technology to the "masses". And this particular example was up for sale.

Let's face it, tenting sucks! :grin: Can Am has a new more powerful inline three motor for their Spyder RT now, should pull this little trailer without much fuss.

I'd like to get a test ride on one of these someday soon, may be completely disappointed but who knows.

I'm thinking this combination would make a great little lightweight RVing setup. Seems like there could be a rear view problem going down the road but, other than that?

2014-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S1.jpg

768A.jpg

Pat

Test rode a Spyder.

Quick

Like a street legal ATV with the wheels sticking out in front.

Not enough wind protection for this old man. :grin:

Would like to ride one about once a month but my riding buddy won't buy one so I can do that. :rofl:

It's a JEEP - you don't have to drive them very hard to get them to tip over!

(Heck, half of them have an upside down decal saying "If you can read this, tip me back over...)

(As opposed to the upside down decal on my Unimog: "If you can read this, you must be the idiot I'm here to rescue.")

:wave:

Don't hate me - just get your own. They're not even that expensive.

But bear in mind that a Unimog is kind of like a trials bike: Quite frankly, it's not comfortable or very useful for daily use, but in the toughest terrain it is unstoppable (in the right hands.)

There are a few places that import or stock them -

Talk to Scott Ingram, down in Vallejo, CA: http://www.expedition-imports.com

Closer to home (but not quite as affordable) is Jim Ince at Eurotech Services, in OR: http://www.eurotech-services.com

In the North-East (Rhode Island) is Chris Elliot: http://www.offroad-imports.com

(Who I think has a project truck for only $3000!)

In keeping with the 'on 1-3 wheels' theme, somewhere I have some footage of me on the Rubicon, driving mine along on 2-wheels - scrubbing up the sidewalls, stuntman style...

Thanks for the links. Fun stuff!

Unfortunately I have all the project cars I can handle at the moment: A 1996 Dodge Dakota. grumble grumble grumble....

You have a Unimog???

I hate you.

;-)

If you want an alternative, look up Praga. They are a Czech company and built some of the toughest offroad lorries ever made.

My grandfather had a firm which dealt in special payloads for lorries and trucks so I picked up a thing or two from him.

He said for the toughest jobs (vehicles bound for Africa for example, where environment was really harsh and the personnel often forgot such niceties as regular maintenance) the best brands were Toyota for the smaller chassis and Mercedes for the larger.

However... I remember when customers with Eastern Bloc connections sent in some Praga and Tatra lorries to be outfitted.

He said he had never seen such engineering before. I clearly remembering him calling a large Tatra 6x6 lorry "The best engineered and built lorry I have seen in my life, by a fair margin". My grandfather was a former aircraft technician and it wasn't a compliment he bestowed lightly. In fact it's probably one of the very few times I heard him complimenting a vehicle engineering, the other occasion being when he dumped Mercedes to buy Subaru as his personal car.

Praga - I hadn't seen those before. Interesting...

My reality though is that I don't have a use for a mog or the like. They just look like lots of fun. A friend had a pinzauer, and they sure look like a good time too. I think the route I'm going is a VW syncro (4wd) camper. It's not really an off road vehicle, but all I really need in that vein is a good snow vehicle and some ground clearance - much of the goal being extended ski trips without having to rent a room everywhere. I think the ticket there is to do the subaru 2.5L turbo conversion...

The thing that contributed to the Pinzgauer popularity is that, by law, the Swiss military cannot sell surplus equipment. Often giving equipment away for free or giving stocks to wholesalers or scrap metal merchants which will arrange to pick them up is just cheaper than disposing of the equipment properly.

One time honored method is to organize a raffle or lottery, with the proceedings going to the Red Cross or a similar charity, with military equipment as prizes. No lack of buyers: one of the most successful raffles in recent memory had as first prize a 75mm mountain howitzer minus the ammo.

All those Hawker Hunter you see at air shows... they originated in Switzerland. Expect F5's to follow the same path as the Swiss military just ordered a batch of Saab Gripen to replace them. ;)

The business is so huge there's a chain stores in Switzerland called Military Super Store which acts as an outlet for surplus equipment. The chain owners pick up surplus stores and sell them for pennies: after all they had it for free...

You can find literally everything there, from hammers and other workshop equipment to skying equipment. I bought a great ponchos for pennies earlier this year there and the boot polish they sell there is the best stuff I've ever used this side of pure seal grease.

Saw this today - a 3D printed 3 wheeled car: Urbee 2.

Continuing with the unimog themed hijack however: I always wanted a DUKW - which I would convert to a motor home. :-)

Saw this today - a 3D printed 3 wheeled car: Urbee 2.

Continuing with the unimog themed hijack however: I always wanted a DUKW - which I would convert to a motor home. :-)

Some scuba divers recently found one in Lake Garda in Northern Italy. Apparently it was lost due to a sudden storm in early 1945.

They are looking for funds to raise it so you may want to consider that! :grin:

Yeah, those things are always sinking. No delusions about their seaworthiness here. I rode in one on a tour here in Seattle. I've spent a lot of time in boats, and it had a horrible unnatural lurching motion on the water (which was smooth as glass). I thought for sure we were going to have to swim for shore.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in Oregon you don't need a motorcycle endorsement to ride a moped 50cc or less. However, you must be 16 y/o and have either a drivers license or a restricted moped license.

bhtf.jpg

Oct2013fromphone682-Copy_zps852a0786.jpg

Oct2013fromphone681-Copy_zps63415bce.jpg

Oct2013fromphone680-Copy_zps5f09ae52.jpg

Georgi and I saw this at the Barkhamstead reservoir last year. Perhaps some of our friends across the pond may have seen some of these back in the '70's.

This, as the owner maintains, is one of three registered in the US Bond Bugs. It has a 750cc water-cooled engine with, if I remember, 29 hp. He bought it from the previous owner in Michigan. It has been continuously registered while in the US and is registered as an antique motorcycle in CT. It appeared to run very well.

One of my mates had one. In the UK these three-wheel vehicles, if weighing under a certain limit (i can't remember what limit) could be driven on a motorcycle licence. This made them popular as winter transport.

Andy

Archived